My new camera

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Is a Sony RX100 MkIII which I've owned since the beginning of December 2017, a used model. V_R has owned one of these for some time now but it's a new one for me and I'm still getting used to it.

One thing I found was that some of the file formats the camera stores pictures in are pretty much exclusive to Sony and my rather old version of Photoshop (CS5) won't open one of the file formats - ARW - which is Sony's version of RAW images.

It also shoots video in three different file formats - mp4, AVCHD & XAVC S. I took some footage at Christmas time in the AVCHD format and couldn't post it on Facebook or open it in some software.

So the next video footage I took I made in mp4 and that played back fine just about anywhere. I was also very pleased at the camera's ability to take video footage in low light conditions, it far outshines my former compact camera, a Canon G19, in this respect.

I'll attempt to post an example of captured mp4 video in this thread. EDIT: Can't do, I'm afraid, Forum doesn't support *.mp4 attachments.

And here's some pictures taken with the Sony, the night time ones are taken in Night Time Scene without Tripod mode and the rest are taken on full auto setting. I haven't had much time to experiment yet but from what I've seen so far I am liking this very compact camera.

Pix below walking home from watering hole on the 6th and a bike ride along my usual stretch today 10th. Images reduced from 4864 to 800 pixels width for posting.

The Thames was at low tide late this afternoon and there is a picture of the Deptford Mission included below. There's a large hall area just inside the front door of the mission and in there I compiled a feature story for the newspaper I was working on in 1970. It was about disabled kids in wheelchairs playing Badminton and for my trouble I received my very first by-line in the newspapers' centre spread.

The Mission's still there and so am I...

117.jpg

119.jpg

123.jpg

126.jpg

187.jpg

188.jpg

190.jpg

196.jpg

198.jpg

200.jpg

203.jpg

206.jpg

213.jpg

218.jpg

221.jpg

225.jpg

229.jpg

230.jpg

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I always enjoy your photo threads @floppybootstomp :D - not had one for a long time!

It looks like camera sensor resolutions have stopped going up at the crazy rates that we saw from 2000-2010, they seem to have settled at around 20MP for a while now. I wonder if that's just a sensible place, in terms of filesize and quality.

I've just been reading up on the camera specs, looks like it's pretty feature packed to say the least. Do you use the NFC, WiFi etc... parts of it at all? Also, what's the mini OLED viewfinder like - a gimmick or pretty useful?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I haven't used the WiFi function yet but I intend to. I haven't used the viewfinder either, it pops up then you pull out an extension. It's good to have but I've been comfortable just using the screen so far.

The camera battery charges through the USB cable and the cable connection to the camera seems to be a mite delicate in my POV so I bought a pair of extra batteries that came with their own charger which gets around having to constantly plug/unplug the USB cable. The extra non-Sony batteries have proved good and only cost £13 with the charger from Amazon.

The other use of the cable, of course, is to download images which is why I intend to enable the WiFi function as soon as I can.

The Sony software available to go with the camera is good, I'm using it all the time now. As yet though I don't know of an equivalent to Canon's Photostitch software which joins together separate images to form Panoramas and the like.

Perhaps that facility is there but I haven't got around to discovering it yet. I do note in the menu there is a panoramic function but again, as yet, I haven't used it. It seems I still have a lot to play around with.

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I like seeing your pics Flops, the bits of London you don't normally see. :)

If its any help, I don't bother with RAW shooting Flops, I don't spend enough time messing about in post to warrant it.

@Ian The view finder is great, I use it all the time over the screen, just easier to see, especially in sunlight, makes me look like I know what I'm doing too. ;)

I think the sensors have got to their optimum MP now, with phones 12 is the sweet spot as it means the pixels can be bigger meaning better low light photos apparently. Not sure if that is the same reasoning for cameras, though the RX series do have larger sensors that other point and shoots.

I've used the WiFi a couple of times, and I think there is an app you can use to turn your phone into a basic remote control for the camera, but I've not bothered with that.

As for the USB cover, yeah its fragile, mine doesn't quite stay all the way shut sadly, I just take out the card to copy the pictures off the camera using a USB 3.0 card reader stick, (good for Micro SD's out of phones too!) and like Flops I use an external charger for the batteries.

Reaction score
Is a Sony RX100 MkIII which I've owned since the beginning of December 2017, a used model. V_R has owned one of these for some time now but it's a new one for me and I'm still getting used to it.

One thing I found was that some of the file formats the camera stores pictures in are pretty much exclusive to Sony and my rather old version of Photoshop (CS5) won't open one of the file formats - ARW - which is Sony's version of RAW images.

It also shoots video in three different file formats - mp4, AVCHD & XAVC S. I took some footage at Christmas time in the AVCHD format and couldn't post it on Facebook or open it in some software.

So the next video footage I took I made in mp4 and that played back fine just about anywhere. I was also very pleased at the camera's ability to take video footage in low light conditions, it far outshines my former compact camera, a Canon G19, in this respect.

I'll attempt to post an example of captured mp4 video in this thread. EDIT: Can't do, I'm afraid, Forum doesn't support *.mp4 attachments.

And here's some pictures taken with the Sony, the night time ones are taken in Night Time Scene without Tripod mode and the rest are taken on full auto setting. I haven't had much time to experiment yet but from what I've seen so far I am liking this very compact camera.

Pix below walking home from watering hole on the 6th and a bike ride along my usual stretch today 10th. Images reduced from 4864 to 800 pixels width for posting.

The Thames was at low tide late this afternoon and there is a picture of the Deptford Mission included below. There's a large hall area just inside the front door of the mission and in there I compiled a feature story for the newspaper I was working on in 1970. It was about disabled kids in wheelchairs playing Badminton and for my trouble I received my very first by-line in the newspapers' centre spread.

The Mission's still there and so am I...

View attachment 11501

View attachment 11502

View attachment 11503

View attachment 11504

View attachment 11505

View attachment 11506

View attachment 11507

View attachment 11508

View attachment 11509

View attachment 11510

View attachment 11511

View attachment 11512

View attachment 11513

View attachment 11514

View attachment 11515

View attachment 11516

View attachment 11517

View attachment 11518

Reaction score
Like your pics flops.The one I like best is the last one showing steps leading down to the foreshore. It reminded me of a day my late brother and I had filming in the city of London on a sunday with no one around and we went down steps like those in your picture,great days...don't know what happend to the movie though.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Looking good Mr Flopps
Great pics mate

Bet you'll start using that viewfinder when the sun starts making appearances, they are invaluable in those conditions when it difficult to see what's on the screen

Keep snapping Flopps as love your piccy threads

Ask a Question