My new Sony SLT-A58 Camera

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Today, I bought the Sony SLT-A58 to replace my really aging, but quite capable, Alpha 200. :)

The SLT-A58 is actually a very big step up from my DSLR A200 for quite a few reasons.

As was my A200, the A58 is Sony's entry level DSLR (introduced in 2013) or shall we call it by it's proper title, an SLT camera.

This camera isn't a traditional Digital SLR ... here's how SLT works. They use a translucent, non-moving mirror that passes light simultaneously to the main sensor and the autofocus sensor. This has various repercussions, but it allows for fast continuous shooting with full-time autofocus, plus it delivers responsive autofocus while recording video.

Oh, and video is another 'new' feature for me. Record, high-quality movies at Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution in either 60i or 24p frames per second. Whatever that means ... look out for 20min untouched you-tube videos. :lol:

A new 20.1MP Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor ... up wee step up from my 10.2-megapixel CCD sensor. New to me also is the electronic viewfinder (EVF), rather than an optical one, information in the HUD.

Another nice addition to me is when shooting quick-moving subjects, birds in flight etc, it can sometimes be difficult to maintain a crisp focus. My A200 would always be 'hunting' ... now the Lock-on AF ensures smooth, stable focusing using the optimal AF point, without having to 'hunt' all the time. :dance:

I have already 'learn't' how to use the 'functions' thanks to the similarity in the menu system ... a lot of what I would have turned on to how I want to use the camera, is already turned on by default. Nice!

And, one big plus, is the fact I can use my existing lenses, batteries and 'stuff' with the new camera ... they did change the storage media from CompactFlash, to SD cards, good job I did me homework first, but they are a faster medium than my existing CFs. I won't be getting rid of the A200 anytime soon, so I'm not out of pocket, they will still be needed. :)

The two Sandisk SD card Extreme HD video 16GB SDHC (45Mb/s 300x) were £18 each.

Camera £339.99 ... Wilkinson Cameras, Southport.

:cheers:

now, when is the "nice" weather coming. :cool:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Certainly sounds like a good choice! The weather should get better by the weekend, so hopefully you'll be able to put it to the test. Looking forward to seeing some of your photos!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Super buy. I nearly bought the A57 when I was hunting for a camera.

Looking forward to the movies. :thumb:

Reaction score
:DI envy you Mr Mucks but I couldn't use one, all I am able to use a point and shoot Fuji camera. I wish I could be able to master a complicated bit of kit.;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
:DI envy you Mr Mucks but I couldn't use one, all I am able to use a point and shoot Fuji camera. I wish I could be able to master a complicated bit of kit.;)

It's not complicated, set the time & date, download (no CD :rolleyes: ) and install the "in the cloud" picture software, or use Flicker/Picasa for post processing ... put it on 'auto' and point-n-shoot ... :lol:

Then learn the "extras" as you go along ... not as cheap as a p&n. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Congrats Mucks, what a great-looking camera! Like the others have said, can't wait to see the photos. You're going to have a lot of fun and enjoyment with this one, methinks. :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
OK ... here we go, got some pics and two videos.

They are very rough, but by seeing what I'm doing wrong, should make me a better editor. :lol:

... and ...

... sigh, uploaded pics 3 times, can't find them. :rolleyes:

maybe ... https://plus.google.com/u/0/

Ask a Question