My harddrive is v v loud. See this product...what do u think?

Reaction score
hiya

i have got a western digital 120gb harddrive on which i run my operating system windows xp. the thing i hate about this harddrive is it is VERY VERY LOUD. im not too worried about the vibrations just yet. its just the intense noise that it creates when it is on. IF i put my computer in standby mode i can hear the harddrive turning off and it really makes the pc silent. but as soon as it is powered up its just an annoying sound. it sounds like another psu supply constant noise.

I have got a silenced psu and cpu fan and this dont seem worth it at the moment because the harddrive is so very loud.

i looked around and found the following website please look http://www.quietpc.com/uk/harddrive.php

there is this thing called a 'SilentDrive Acoustic Enclosure ' one is by this company itsself whereas the other is by coolermaster. i think they look good but im not sure how this sort of thing can silence my drive. i do not seem very convinced,

has anyone brought thse products? and do u think that it really will quieten down my western digital 120gb harddrive so much that i wont notice this constant annoying noise?

thanks

Reaction score
it will make it quieter to a point it's a bit like smothering your mobile phone if it rings, it goes quieter, never used one of these myself only because i've never had to.

what beats me is that you probably spent over the odds on a "silent" psu and cpu fan (a cpu fan or anyother fan will never be silent) and then you go and buy a standard noisy as hell hard drive???

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sometimes the manufacturers have a small utility application that you can run to select the drive performance/sound characteristics. (for example, quiet but a little slower access times).

Check their website and see if you can find anything. I know Maxtor do have something like this, and I assume a few others do :)

Reaction score
try putting some foam washers or something similar between the drive and side of the case?

Reaction score
Techy said:
it will make it quieter to a point it's a bit like smothering your mobile phone if it rings, it goes quieter, never used one of these myself only because i've never had to.

what beats me is that you probably spent over the odds on a "silent" psu and cpu fan (a cpu fan or anyother fan will never be silent) and then you go and buy a standard noisy as hell hard drive???

well lol i see the funny side. when i first had this harddrive it was vv silent. but now its just louder and louder but at first it was v quiet i can assure u.

its a western digital caviar 120gb. ill see the website 1st maybe itll help.

Reaction score
just been on western digital's website. the word that i was lookin for was WHINING! because this is what happens with this harddrive it is a constant WHINING noise

i hope this explains it better.

from looking on the website i think i can qualify under getting a replacement harddrive but just how on earth do u send out a harddrive with all my data on it? no way ill need to back it all up.

id rather stick to the whining or get this silencer £25 goiing to be wasted or not?

Reaction score
it'll prob mask the sound a bit, but if it's whinning it's most likely going to fail soon, then you will loose all your data.

my advice, take an image of the disk get a replacement and copy it back, it'll be like nothings changed apart from they'll be no noise.

James

Reaction score
Techy said:
it'll prob mask the sound a bit, but if it's whinning it's most likely going to fail soon, then you will loose all your data.
my advice, take an image of the disk get a replacement and copy it back, it'll be like nothings changed apart from they'll be no noise.

James

damn that sounds v v scary. this happened to me before. but this is my other 160gb harrdrive which at the moment is not that noisy

any suggestions on a quiet harrdrive 200gb plus?

Ask a Question