Please express your views on this system

Reaction score
hi there im thinking of uprgrading my computer as i still counldt resolve the xp pro problem, which is listed on the other thread

im looking around

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology - Retail

Board:Asus P4P800 Deluxe "Springdale" (Socket 478) Motherboard

Cpu Fan: Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail

I know my CPU is retail but im expecting the fan to be noisy and i CANT STAND noisy fans. I currently got a silenced CPU fan and atx power supply.

What do u think of this system? It tells me that the mboard has

- South Bridge: 2 x UltraDMA 100/66/33, 2 x Serial ATA, RAID 0 (Microsoft Windows XP only)
- VIA6410 RAID controller: 2 x UltraDMA 133 support four hard drives, RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, JBOD

I dont get this is this the same as ide? im sure ata just means ide?

what is raid all about i dont get it? i havent changed my mboard before and never installed p4 only amd. wats the difference?
will this harddrive allow me on ide to set up a dvd rewriter, cd rewriter and possible 3 hardrives? i got enough power supply plugs. hw many devices can it suypport?

i want to plug in this 160bg harddrive made my western digital its currently on ide. will this be alrite?

sorry for so many questions. PLEASE REPLY IF YOUVE READ THIS

p.s do u see any problems with my trio settup?

thanks u very much
psd99

Reaction score
got basically the same setup as your looking at m8...
except its not the deluxe version.. (p4p800 cheaper and perfectly adequate )
also p4 2.6 [email protected] ghz\ 100 % stable on this mobo
(the asus board has an overclock facilty in which u can increase cpu speed..)

the memory on this motherboard needs to be p3200 to use dual channel on the board... (an increase from 512k to 1 gig shows a big difference..)
the only noise i can hear now is the graphics card and case fan..

Reaction score
whats dual channel? and tell me abt abt the zalman cpu? it looks so hard to install man!!!!!!?

what cpu fan do i get with the intel p4 chip does ne1 know?

thanks

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
omigawd, another thread, same subject :D

OK, I've just put together a system with Pentium 4 3Ghz, the same motherboard you mention and 2 x 512MB twinmos RAM running in dual channel.

It's fast, it's good, it runs cool, but I prefer an AMD system, my XP2600 based system seems to run faster, 'zippier' if you will.

He used the retail CPU, which comes with it's own cooler, and it's very, very, quiet.

I have a Zalman copper finned cooler with Zalman 92mm bracket-mounted fan (it's the one that comes with the heatsink) and it's a lot noisier than the retail Pentium 4 cooler, although it's still quiet.

Save yourself some wonga and get the Pentium 4 retail version with cooler.

Reaction score
thanks for cpu fan adivse but isnt it true to say that Zalman are menat to be PROPER silent????

oh and does this motherboard have firewire connectivity?

come on if u r reading this message plese express your views

thanks a lot

Reaction score
u silence the fan (silent completely ..nope but v v quiet...
then u can hear the power supply....quiet power supply...then u hear the case fan...then the graphics cards...ect ect..
with my kids..im surprised i can hear anything...
the quietest system ive heard is a new Dell...
they combine case fan with airduct over the heat sink...
i think zalman do a similarish thing..
the retail pent fan aint quiet..

Reaction score
Originally posted by floppybootstomp
omigawd, another thread, same subject :D

I have a Zalman copper finned cooler with Zalman 92mm bracket-mounted fan (it's the one that comes with the heatsink) and it's a lot noisier than the retail Pentium 4 cooler, although it's still quiet.

Save yourself some wonga and get the Pentium 4 retail version with cooler.

suprising.... used both types and still have the zalman...find quieter than the pent retail?

Reaction score
Originally posted by psd99
whats dual channel? and tell me abt abt the zalman cpu? it looks so hard to install man!!!!!!?

what cpu fan do i get with the intel p4 chip does ne1 know?

thanks
if you.ve been to the zalman site...
there a flash vid to show u how to install it....v easy..

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnps7000a-cu.htm

dual channel..

Dual-channel DDR technology doubles the bandwidth of your system memory and hence boost the system performance to out perform any memory existing solutions in the market. System bottlenecks are eliminated with balanced architecture and peak bandwidths up to 6.4GB/s.
(as taken from asus p4p800 mobo description)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
ukgeoffpp:

Yes, it's true, I'd say the fan that came with the retail Pentium chip was almost silent, maybe they've changed the model recently?

I used a Papst low noise fan with the Zalman heatsink for a while, that was a good solution, very quiet indeed, but I had a swap around and used the Pabst 92mm elsewhere and put back the original Zalman 92mm fan.

psd99: Yes, the Asus P4P800 deluxe has firewire, have you not checked out the specs from your supplier?

Reaction score
thanks a lot u lot r helpful..

but when u r installing a pentium it looks a lot harder than an amd..

whats this southbridge thing?> and looking at the zalman site it looks like i Definetly need a CASE fan????

Ask a Question