    by hitting the reset or killing the power, which I know
    is awful. I have tried a system restore with no
    success...can anyone out there help?????

    Damon, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Got a similar problem: Laptop restarts when trying to
    shut it down. The problem started after installation. I
    restarted it in safe mode and it shuts down without a
    prob.
    Any suggestions for help, other then formatting a
    restarting from scratch?

    or updating
    >something?
    >If you can get into safe mode, does it still do it? If

    not, check to see
    >what programs are starting up when XP starts.
    >
    >"Damon" <> wrote in message
    >> FOr some reason my computer has stopped obeying
    >> the "restart" and "shut down" commands. This is the

    case
    >> from the start menu as well as from the task manager
    >> window (ctrl-alt-del). It simply is ignoring the
    >> commands ...does nothing..etc. I have to hard shut

    down

    Frank Mussgnug, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Damon

    EGMcCann Guest

    Go to MSConfig. Disable anything (non-service) running at startup, so you
    essentially just have XP starting. See if it shuts down properly. Add
    "needed" programs (antivirus,) check again. Finally, try the new or updated
    program, see if it behaves the same way.

    EGMcCann, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Damon

    odieman Guest

    ie reinstall xp, run updates restore to an earlier date
    with no success. if you find something let me know and I
    will do the samn. Thanks

    odieman, Jul 10, 2003
  5. slap it across the cd rom drive and yell 'bad computer, bad bad computer'.
    if that doesn't get it's attention send it to bed without it's dinner.

    when you select shutdown from the start menu does it show you the dialog?
    if it does, what happens when you select shutdown from there??? the only
    thing i can think of might be a hung driver or service. when you select
    shutdown or restart windows tries to send a shutdown message to all running
    processes then waits for them to respond, but, if they don't within a
    reasonable time it should display a stuck program message and let you kill
    it to finish the shutdown.

    David Robbins, Jul 10, 2003