Windows XP multiple explorer.exes

Reaction score
im using winxp pro when i started my computer i get a window that says in a nut shell " setting persanalized settings system32 1704" then explorer.exe opens up again and again and multiple times. anybody know what this could be? i did have to uninstall nero 9 lite because the install gave me some fatal error. i dont have the sp3 update yet. and oh yeah but i did a search of explorer.exe and i have three in three seperate directories one in windows another in windows\servicepackfiles\i386 and another in windows\softwaredistribution\download is it normal to have more than one explorer.exe? if anybody can help i would appreciate it

Reaction score
mrmorgan said:
im using winxp pro when i started my computer i get a window that says in a nut shell " setting persanalized settings system32 1704" then explorer.exe opens up again and again and multiple times. anybody know what this could be? i did have to uninstall nero 9 lite because the install gave me some fatal error. i dont have the sp3 update yet. and oh yeah but i did a search of explorer.exe and i have three in three seperate directories one in windows another in windows\servicepackfiles\i386 and another in windows\softwaredistribution\download is it normal to have more than one explorer.exe? if anybody can help i would appreciate it

Have you tried running any sort of AV to rule out any sort of nasties ???

Try Trend Micro Housecall

Then

Malwarbytes

Then

Superantispyware...

Try them in that order......

Rport back

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi mrmorgan and welcome to the site :)

Do you have a virus and malware scanner on your PC? The URL for House call online scanner is http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and that does a good job of cleaning your system before installing a permanent one.

After you have ruled out viruses, then I'd try upgrading to SP3 and then run the system file checker : "sfc /scannow" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747).

Reaction score
It is common to have more than 1 explorer.exe file in various folders within windows.
They are generally previous versions and sometimes a bu version.

What isn't common is multiple instances of explorer.exe running.
What this usually is is a virus or malware running binded to the explorer executable.

Ask a Question