Multimedia Audio Controller

G

After i reformatted my computer and reinstalled windows xp it says that i need to install a multimedia audio controller. But when i try to install the drivers for my SiS 7012 it says the name is already in use as either a service name or service display name. I tried going to device managers > view > show hidden devices but there were no drivers with the same name.

J

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Bob;
Make sure you are using the latest Windows XP sound drivers.
Check the sound cards manufacturers website.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

bob said:
After i reformatted my computer and reinstalled windows xp it says
that i need to install a multimedia audio controller. But when i try
to install the drivers for my SiS 7012 it says the name is already in
use as either a service name or service display name. I tried going
to device managers > view > show hidden devices but there were no
drivers with the same name.

G

hi bob

i've got the same problem instead with a usb storage device, basically the problem is to do with a legacy driver that's been installed, this is what you need to do

uninstall the driver under device manager, then search for drivers, let it go through the installation, when you get to the bit where it says it's found the corresponding inf file, not the location, might be in c:\windows\inf\oem32.inf or along those lines.

go to the directory and move the file to say c:\, uninstall the driver, when it comes back it will say can't find driver and ask you to specify the location, point it to where the correct audio drivers are

hope that sorts it out, if not you may need to go into the registry and remove every instane of the problem device, then try and run it again, bit of a mare!

G

also, try this, delete the driver.cab in the windows directory and then copy back driver.cab file from the windows cd

Ask a Question