msn messenger

Matty

Hi

I am trying to send files via msn messenger to a mate, but it fails when i
send.
If i turn off the firewall i can recieve from him.
Using Win xp pro, and latest msn messenger, NAV2004.
Any ideas?
Am on a n/w pc, via a netgear switch to another pc that has the modem and
internet connection.

Ta In Advance

Matt

Matty

XP

Now I have done a bit of searching and found something about enabling ports
6891-6900 for tcp connections.

How????

Matt

Alex Nichol

Matty said:
I am trying to send files via msn messenger to a mate, but it fails when i
send.
If i turn off the firewall i can recieve from him.

You have to open access through one or more ports in the range 6891 up
(I enable the first three) so that they can receive TCP/IP requests from
outside to 'serve' these files to the computer that has accepted the
idea
This can be set up in Network Connections - Properties advanced where
you enable the firewall and click on the Settings

rays

u can try enabling universal plug and play
Matty said:
XP

Now I have done a bit of searching and found something about enabling ports
6891-6900 for tcp connections.

How????

Matt

John Ski

Subject: msn messenger
From: "Matty" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 5/6/2004 11:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Hi

I am trying to send files via msn messenger to a mate, but it fails when i
send.
If i turn off the firewall i can recieve from him.
Using Win xp pro, and latest msn messenger, NAV2004.
Any ideas?
Am on a n/w pc, via a netgear switch to another pc that has the modem and
internet connection.

Ta In Advance

Matt
Check out ENat at www.easyfp.com. It worked for similar problems I had with
MSN and it may help you. It costs, but there's a trial version so you can make
sure it works for you.

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Thayn Moore [MSFT]

You need to enable the port. See the MSN Messenger help to find out which
port to enable.

--
Thayn Moore
Software Design Engineer - Test