MP3 Players and Downloads

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi all

Some advice please.....

Have just bought eldest son MP3 Player (Philips Key) and need to know where to get best subscribed downloads from for him........ any ideas??? Idellay somewhere where you can pay for a set period of time (a year, say). As people who know me well will say, I am not the most technical person on the planet so I would appreciate some no nonsense and clear advice please. I am not after illegal downloads!!

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Reaction score
wel if u want to pay its got to be Napster.co.uk from the top of my head!

sometimes on Saturdays you can get this card in The Sun which allows you to get a free download on Napster. Never done this before actually chucked so many of those Lottery cards away!

Napster was so big a long time ago, but it got closed down, It is now back but it cost's ££££ !! :(

good luck Gabriella

Reaction score
apple iTunes is the best, and cheapest!

It is pay per download, but only about 99p for a whole album.

www.itunes.com

you will need to download the iTunes softwere.

KGB

Reaction score
thought it was 79p per track!!! not 99p an album.

I doubt its 99p an album.

If it was, no-one would use KaZaA

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I think Chris is right, 99p an album is just not possible. I have come across music for download which clearly said 99p per song/track.

Reaction score
i would guess 79p per track is more like it - thats from itunes.

They have to pay royalties to the artists and cover all costs, and make profit.

BUT

Cheaper than buying an album for just a couple of tracks you like, and it's legal!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
You can get a brand new album from www.play.com for between £4-£10 which contains 10-20 tracks, so i would just buy the proper album, copy the music to your hd so then you can put it on your mp3 player and you got a proper cd for your car or home stereo too ;).

Reaction score
BUT

If you KNOW you don't like all the tracks on the album, you could get a couple of tracks from a few different artists and make your own LEGAL compilation album for the same price as a CD.

99.99999% of albums are between 7.99 and 8.99 - i have yet to see one for 4 quid.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I buy all my music mostly from HMV and some cost even 17 quid :eek:

I have never downloaded any music since I believe in hardware (CD) only :)

Reaction score
I think you guys are right about the price of iTunes. sorry!

What is Kazaa, i have never used it, but personally, i thought it was an illegal music sharing programme.

Maybe not,

KGB

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
99.99999% of albums are between 7.99 and 8.99 - i have yet to see one for 4 quid.
I'd say its more like 60% of albums are between 7.99 and 8.99 , especially at play.com. And i've not only seen cd's at £4 but have bought them for £4 ;).

Reaction score
Kazaa itself is perfectly legal, it's a file sharing program/network.

Shaing copyrighted materials, ie music, is illegal.

Reaction score
carrying a knife in the streets is illegal.
but i dont see why anyone would want to carry a knife in the streets.

Just as i dont see why someone would download Kazaa without intent to puruse illegal activities!
If you got Kazaa then you are guranteed to have downloaded something that is illegal! :p

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Having Kazaa is 100% legal

On December 19, 2003, the Dutch Supreme Court confirmed that Kazaa peer-to-peer technology and its distribution is legal.

On April 25, 2003, Judge Stephen J. Wilson of the United States District Court for the Central District of California ruled in favor of Streamcast Networks, Inc. and Grokster, Limited, distributors of peer-to-peer software which functions similarly to Kazaa, in a summary judgment concluding that such peer-to-peer software and its distribution is legal.

Use of the software in the manner authorized by Kazaa’s End User License Agreement is legal in most jurisdictions. Use of the software to download or share copyrighted works without the permission of the copyright owner may be illegal in many jurisdictions. You should therefore be certain that your use of Kazaa complies with the End User License Agreement and you are not authorized to use Kazaa other than in compliance with the Kazaa End User License Agreement. For further details on complying with the Kazaa End User License Agreement, please see the “Share responsibly” section below.

http://www.kazaa.com/us/help/new_100percentlegal.htm

;)

PS.
USE A GOOD VIRUS/TROJAN/WORM/SPYWARE-AWARE SCANNER

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you're using Kazza, or Karzi as I like to call it, heed Mucks advice at the end of his last post, that p2p program attracts nasties like bees to honey.

Only one I use is WinMX, have never suffered any nasties with it and it's easy to use.

Reaction score
I NEVER use KaZaA in it's original version. I use KaZaA lite, free from adware and spyware with bad IP range blocker built in and lots of other fancy stuff.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I NEVER use KaZaA in it's original version. I use KaZaA lite, free from adware and spyware with bad IP range blocker built in and lots of other fancy stuff.
Chris ... that was bad enough, but ... people are 'downloading songs' only to find they won't play ... then they wonder why their PC is "acting funny" with allsorts of problems.

When they eventually find the virus/trojan/worm/spyware/keylogger, and uncle Tom ... they may wonder where it came from.

KaZaA, IS being actively used for such purposes ... and personally I wouldn't trust any of them.

It is your system ... ;)

:D

Ask a Question