Missing hover buttons

John DeS

This is really strange.........First of all, I have two
Machines. This one has Win XP Pro. The other has Win 98 SE.

I recently reinstalled XP and everything works fine. BUT,
now when I view my Home Page online all the Hover Buttons
are blank and have a red X. All the pics etc. are there
though.

Now the strange part.. If I view my site with the Win 98
Machine, it's fine. Also, even this Machine ( XP )
displayed it OK untill I reinstalled! Also, now my Son's
Machine that has XP doesn't show the Hover Buttons and
nothing was done to it!

How in the heck can this machine cause other XP machines
not to disply the site correctly. Nothing was changed on
my Home page and as I said, my Win 98 Machine shows the
site correctly.

Could it have anything to do with my Router? I really
didn't change anything there either and the other machines
all connect through it.

I've downloaded the Web Files to a local folder with Smart
FTP and it's the same thing. XP Machines have missing
Hover Buttons but the Win 98 Machine displays them and all
links work!

One other thing, I think I created the site with FP 98. I
now have FP 2002 (trial) and If I try to edit locally and
fix the Hover buttons it appears to fix them but they go
away once I save and try to display in my Browser.

Thanks for any help.....

nelly

I hope someone can provide an answer to this as I have
exactly the same problem. My pc was fine before it was
rebuilt with xp pro, but now front page buttons are just
blank with red x's in them. All the other options in ie
work fine just the front page buttons are missing. PLEASE
HELP

Steve Easton

Hover buttons are a java applet that require
Java Virtual Machine in order to function.
An original install of XP and IE6 does not
have JVM installed.
You can download and install it from
http://java.sun.com/

However, most people have stopped using
hover buttons for this reason, and use dhtml
images swaps or CSS
You can create all hover button effects
except "glow" and "reverse glow" using CSS.

hth

E. T. Culling

Hover buttons are java, not java script and IE doesn't 'view' them anymore.
It is best that you don't use them any more ... you'll need to find another
way.
Eleanor

OK, some of that makes sense except I don't remember
installing any extra Java apps with my XP installs and
they worked before.
Anyway, I replaced all the Hover Buttons with HyperLinks.
I'm not real good at this so could you explain further
about using "CSS" instead Of Hover Buttons? I'm using FP
2000. You say CSS is similar to Hover Buttons so I'd like
to try that. Are they in the web components tab?

Thanks.......

Joe Rohn

ET,

While I agree that using Hover Buttons and Java Applets in general is
probably not a good idea...there are still huge numbers of systems and
browsers out there, that have the JVM installed. Additionally for those that
don't ...people can still download it if they choose to. Therefore there's
still many versions of IE that can view them just fine!

--
Joe
Remove "AA" for email

FrontPage Users Forums at:
http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage/

Bill Somogyi

Joe:

"Joe Rohn" wrote in message
Additionally for those that
don't ...people can still download it if they choose to.
Therefore there's
still many versions of IE that can view them just fine!

The major problem with that mindset is this:

As my pappy used to say don't judge the world with your morals. What I mean
by that is folks in here are adventuresome, curious and have to have the
latest and greatest of all features for the net and their computers
therefore they'll download and install it.

Unfortuantely the casual user is not. They buy a computer and never upgrade
the browser unless the online service they use does it automatically for
them. Some out of fear some because they know nothing about computers yet
all are potential viewers. Add into the equation the viewer will need to
restart their browser once installed. What are the chances the viewer
returns?

Have Fun Bill

Joe Rohn

The major problem with that mindset is this:

As my pappy used to say don't judge the world with your morals. What I mean
by that is folks in here are adventuresome, curious and have to have the
latest and greatest of all features for the net and their computers
therefore they'll download and install it.

Unfortuantely the casual user is not. They buy a computer and never upgrade
the browser unless the online service they use does it automatically for
them. Some out of fear some because they know nothing about computers yet
all are potential viewers. Add into the equation the viewer will need to
restart their browser once installed. What are the chances the viewer
returns?

Have Fun Bill
--
RealDraw Cafe
http://realdrawcafe.com

Hi Bill,

I don't disagree with that..actually because of that same reasoning there
are still huge numbers of people that have Java apps. installed. Unless
people have upgraded to Win XP and/or IE6..chances are they have a JVM
installed and running. Now personally I have seen enough *shimmering* lakes
to last a life-time! <g> Don't get me wrong..I feel everyone should bury
Java..and then bury the shovel they buried it with!! I just don't feel that
a blanket statement that IE no longer can show Java Applets is correct.

--
Joe
Remove "AA" for email

FrontPage Users Forums at:
http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage/

Thomas A. Rowe

It depends on when you purchased and installed Windows XP, SP1 or upgraded
to IE 6 on whether or not the JVM is installed automatically or is available
for installation.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.