Microsoft's goals for 2006

Chris Smith

Rhino said:
I would hope not. I just asked because John said "that by using the Eclipse
platform you can get some consistency with java that matches the .NET/Visual
Studio system." I was wondering whether using SWT would make it easier to
write an application that would work in .NET/Visual Studio. I have no desire
to work with .NET and Microsoft's pseudo-Java but you never know when you'll
have to port something over to Microsoft so I thought I'd asked if using SWT
would make that task easier.

I see no reason why it would. In fact, if Microsoft hasn't fixed their
JNI issues, it would make the task considerably harder, I should think.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Bob

A. Jinn said:
Don't appear to be.
The fact is, if MS went down the entire industry would collapse.

Good. Riddance. You are wrong, but anyway.
What?
If you study history, you will find MS is more clever than
unscrupulous.

Well they are neck and neck at halftime.
Wow, now I know.

Did you like these:
http://Clitin.Com/Art-Cody
http://Clitin.Com/Art-PT

(created with the assistance
of open source software)

Sure, why not. Fisk the Hollywood Left. They care about you know poor
people and workers and all that gross stuff.
Um I am sorry? But I never paid? Except for a girl to wank me, but you
know, that's like different.

Bob

Paul said:
Leonardo said:
Noodles said:
Monaghan took the hamburger, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh
wow"...
Top Ten Goals For Microsoft in 2006
[...]
2. ****ing kill Java.

They tried that. Sun sued the crap out of them and won.

For how much? A $100 million, right?

Chump change... The http://GatesFoundation.org
(if I remember this right) gave $100 million to the cure
of Elephantiasis in the same timeframe.

It wasn't about money, but rather about preventing Microsoft from
flooding the market with their proprietary version of Java. Sun
won, big time, although it's not clear what that win means for
their long-term survival. Java's on what, it's third GUI toolkit?
I was just thinking about learning Swing, and now it's out and
something else is in. That's a platform without a long-term
strategy. :-(

Except that Java Server Pages are hotter than tamales.
Paul Allen

Hey wait. Don't you like own Microsoft or something?

Bob

Father said:
re

Unfortunately, yes. The problem for Sun has always been that deep
down Scott McNealy is a hardware guy. That is what gets his interest,
not software.

On top of all that, it is hard for the Java programs at Sun to
justify their existence unless they can "monetize" Java.

Java Server Pages, anyone? Java on databases, like Oracle?
And you also see some of the confusion in the strategy about such
issues as exactly who controls the future of Java.

Now, a whole 'nother story is the confusion regarding Solaris X86, but
we'll save that one for a different flame war.

Dey doin ok, esp hitching onto the Open Office cattle train.

Bob

A. Jinn said:
Paul Allen said:
Leonardo said:
Noodles Jefferson wrote:

Monaghan took the hamburger, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh
wow"...
Top Ten Goals For Microsoft in 2006
[...]
2. ****ing kill Java.
They tried that. Sun sued the crap out of them and won.

For how much? A $100 million, right?

Chump change... The http://GatesFoundation.org
(if I remember this right) gave $100 million to the cure
of Elephantiasis in the same timeframe.
It wasn't about money, but rather about preventing Microsoft from
flooding the market with their proprietary version of Java.

I actually created the first version of my "Jinn" program using
MS Java ('99-'00). It was certainly the most capable java environment
going, at the time. I had used several others and seen Sun's stuff.

MS pulling out of Java was more damaging to Java than anything
MS could possibly have done.
Sun
won, big time, although it's not clear what that win means for
their long-term survival. Java's on what, it's third GUI toolkit?

Swing was always crap when I looked at it.
Java is relegated to compete with PHP, Python etc...
and I doubt all of them together has higher ground than ASP.

Yeah except JSP is kicking ass on the Net, but who cares about the lame
internet anyway. And Java on big db's like Oracle is big biz, but who
cares about Oracle. Commercial SW is so icky.
Is it any better?

Heh... GUI's are not as easy as people think.
MS gets /enough/ right that they will be hard to match, let alone
beat. Plus they have a wallet the size of Texas.

Architecturally, .NET is the holy grail, and fairly portable, I bet.

Really? Can you gimme a good reason to let Windows Update put it on my
home Win 2K system?

Bob

Leonardo said:
O **** you...

Can't you see the humor in it?
You don't think it was a statement about McNealy
being a fat head, do you?

Nah... Total coincidence.

But McNealy is a fat head, and Bill Gates is
the nicest robber barron the world has ever seen.

Praise Him in the highest... :)

If he's reading this: "Bill, I want to play crocket!"

...and if Melinda wants, I'll drop the porn and work
for her on composites of mountains and butterflies
and Mona Lisa.
Grin.

--
AJ - http://Clitin.Com

*** A Wanking Service Agency ***
(currently free)

Usenet Porn-d'Art slideshows:
http://Clitin.Com/X3
http://Clitin.Com/Art-Cody
http://Clitin.Com/Art-PT
http://Clitin.Com/Art-VB
http://Clitin.Com/Chmi
http://Clitin.Com/Casey
http://Clitin.Com/AshleyLauren

You dick. I was hoping for some pr0n and you gimme this Picasso shit?

Frank ess

Bob said:
Good. Riddance. You are wrong, but anyway.

Well they are neck and neck at halftime.

Sure, why not. Fisk the Hollywood Left. They care about you know
poor
people and workers and all that gross stuff.

Um I am sorry? But I never paid? Except for a girl to wank me, but
you
know, that's like different.

shhhhhh

A. Jinn

Bob said:
Paul said:
Leonardo said:
Noodles Jefferson wrote:

[...]

ASP.NET will let you program in numerous languages.
Java among them.
Clearly superior to JSP.

Give me a break.

A. Jinn

Bob said:
A. Jinn said:
Paul Allen said:
Leonardo da Jinn wrote:
Noodles Jefferson wrote:

[...]

Web scripting has many factions.
Sun compares the two:
http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jsp-asp.html

You can always tell they are losers when they talk about
open standards as opposed to function and robustness.
They fudge on the rest.
ASP.NET or even ASP offers a more robust environment.

I assume .NET will be ported, but I've assumed that for years.
And Java on big db's like Oracle is big biz, but who cares about Oracle. Commercial SW is so icky.

I used to project architect for Oracle.

Yes. The concept that multiple languages can work together.
P-coded and machine compiled /on demand/. Numerous optimizations
that normal compile-link environments can't achieve.
The technology is truly impressive.

It is such a big leap that it takes a while to /catch/.
I give MS credit for the brass balls to go for it.

Can you gimme a good reason to let Windows Update put it on my home Win 2K system?

I can't give you a reason not to.
If you install a program that uses it /it/ will install it
or make sure it is installed.

Obviously your OS is a half-decade old
and perhaps you just read text newsgroups on Eudora.

--
AJ -

Feel the love:

http://Clitin.Com/Art-CC
http://Clitin.Com/Art-VB
http://Clitin.Com/Chmi
http://Clitin.Com/Casey
http://Clitin.Com/AshleyLauren

Some personal movies:
http://Clitin.Com/GB.wmv
http://Clitin.Com/ZappyMorn.wmv

Peter J Ross

alt.usenet.kooks:

You can always tell they are losers when they
advertise stolen porn in their signatures.

I used to work for Oracle

And I used to be Marie, the Easter Bunny of Roumania.

Obviously your OS is a half-decade old

So speaks the kook who famously thinks that IE6 is an up-to-date,
fully-featured browser.

<babble snipped>

PJR :)

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

A. Jinn said:
Bob said:
A. Jinn said:
"Paul Allen" <"paul dot l dot allen at comcast dot net"> wrote in message Leonardo da Jinn wrote:
Noodles Jefferson wrote:

[...]

It has. Take a look at the Mono project.

I wonder if, now that .NET has been ported to other OSs and Microsoft
can no longer count on it to sell Windows, if they will lose interest in
it.

Bob

A. Jinn said:
Bob said:
Paul said:
Leonardo da Jinn wrote:
Noodles Jefferson wrote:

[...]

Well, JSP is taking the net by storm. You can't compromise success.

Bob

A. Jinn said:
Noodles Jefferson wrote:

[...]

Irrelevant, as JSP is quite successful, no matter how good it actually is.
I assume .NET will be ported, but I've assumed that for years.

I used to project architect for Oracle.

Ok you used to do that, and you hate Java? Eh?
Yes. The concept that multiple languages can work together.
P-coded and machine compiled /on demand/. Numerous optimizations
that normal compile-link environments can't achieve.
The technology is truly impressive.

It is such a big leap that it takes a while to /catch/.
I give MS credit for the brass balls to go for it.

I can't give you a reason not to.
If you install a program that uses it /it/ will install it
or make sure it is installed.

Obviously your OS is a half-decade old

Yes Windows 2000 is "a half-decade old". I refuse to board the upgrade
train. Considering that it works, I see no reason to use that goofy pig
called XP that looks like it was designed by second graders.
and perhaps you just read text newsgroups on Eudora.

Thunderbird.

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

A. Jinn said:
Bob said:
Paul said:
Leonardo da Jinn wrote:
Noodles Jefferson wrote:

[...]

Why is that a good thing? Most of the problems large projects encounter
can be traced back to developers failing to follow project standards,
using their own coding styles and practices, etc.

Now you want to throw multiple languages into to pot as well? No thanks.
Java among them.
Clearly superior to JSP.

JSP and .NET will succeed or fail based on the trustworthiness of their
underlying runtimes and foundation libraries. The last thing I want is s
system made up of components developed with everything from C++ and Java
to (shudder) VB.

Leonardo da Jinn

Paul said:
A. Jinn said:
Bob said:
Paul Allen wrote:
Leonardo da Jinn wrote:
Noodles Jefferson wrote:

[...]

Why is that a good thing?

Because it allows people/companies to use what
they know best.
Most of the problems large projects encounter
can be traced back to developers failing to follow project standards,
using their own coding styles and practices, etc.

Nothing says some company or project can't
choose to use /one/ language. Impose whatever
standards they wish. Some other company choses
a different language. Works for both companies.

In JSP they have no choice.
Now you want to throw multiple languages into to pot as well? No thanks.

Ummm... the idea of multiple languages working together
is an old one.
JSP and .NET will succeed or fail based on the trustworthiness of their
underlying runtimes and foundation libraries. The last thing I want is s
system made up of components developed with everything from C++ and Java
to (shudder) VB.

VB.NET is quite an equal citizen. I would trust VB code
over the pitfalls newbie programmers can get into with C++.

Don't get people's issue with VB. It is based on very
old information. VB6 was/is productive as hell. Compiled
fast, robust. VB.NET is undoubtedly more so or MS
will fix it.

A. Jinn

Bob said:
A. Jinn said:
Noodles Jefferson wrote:

[...]

So is ASP. Or do you have other info?
Ok you used to do that, and you hate Java? Eh?

No. Actually, as a language, it is my favorite of the
major languages. I've programmed for man-years in it.
For MS platforms, Sun's Java isn't robust enough to avoid
its own drool (for client programming). I used MS Java,
and although complete and robust, it was much slower than
VB, which I could have taken, but they desupported it.
I went to VB6 and not sorry.

I hate VB as a language, but it is the logical choice when
all things are considered.
Yes Windows 2000 is "a half-decade old". I refuse to board the upgrade train. Considering that it works, I see no reason to use
that goofy pig called XP that looks like it was designed by second graders.

I felt the same way until my registry got corrupted.
XP seems more stable.
Thunderbird.

:)

A. Jinn

Bob said:
A. Jinn said:
Bob said:
Paul Allen wrote:
Leonardo da Jinn wrote:
Noodles Jefferson wrote:

[...]

I may have missed a lot.
I haven't looked at Java much since '99.

I would assume/hope that most JSP environments
have machine generated Java, right?
I mean, the thought that servers are interpreting
bytecodes is wincing.

Frank ess

Paul said:
A. Jinn said:
Bob said:
A. Jinn wrote:
"Paul Allen" <"paul dot l dot allen at comcast dot net"> wrote in
message Leonardo da Jinn wrote:
Noodles Jefferson wrote:

<[email protected]>, Sean
[...]

shhhhhhh

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Lin=F8nut?=

After takin' a swig o' grog, Leonardo da Jinn belched out this bit o' wisdom:
VB.NET is quite an equal citizen. I would trust VB code
over the pitfalls newbie programmers can get into with C++.

Don't get people's issue with VB. It is based on very
old information. VB6 was/is productive as hell. Compiled
fast, robust. VB.NET is undoubtedly more so or MS
will fix it.

Who cares? VB is a corporate lock-in language.