MHT, EML and NWS thumbnails not showing in windows explorer

vista terminal ator

The MHT EML and NWS thumbnails are not showing in windows explorer.

HTML, HTM ones and links towards sites do work however.

This is driving me nuts since I need to view mht files as thumbnails in
windows explorer.

I have tried kellys korner reg tweak as well as some other advice from
google groups that involved adding lines in the registry...

The tweak I tried is here
line162. Restore HTML, HTM, URL Thumb View

I dont understand why it wont work!

Please help meeee!!! I need a guru who really understands windows to explain
why this is not working for me...

Im using internet explorer 7 and xp sp2 and avant browser

thanks

Rob ^_^

Hi,

I have seen problems with the Avant browser, when you set it as the default
browser and then switch back to IE, but I don't have a machine working with
it installed to test it and my Vista machine is down.

Check Avant for any updates to thier software. The last time that I used the
upgraded version on a win2K machine they had fixed the problem with shortcut
links after changing the default browser.

Regards.

Donald Anadell

Hi,

"could it be something with avant browser ?"

I don't think so.

That Kelly's corner .reg file won't work to restore your thumbnail view for
..mht||.eml||.nws files because it points thoses file types to a Video
Thumbnail Extractor "shmedia.dll" file in the System32 folder using the
following CLSID:
{c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}

The (default) for .mht||.eml||.nws file types should be pointing to the
CLSID:
{EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3}
which points to "shimgvw.dll" which is the HTML Thumbnail Extractor.

For instance, that .reg file from Kelly's corner sets the .mht file like
this:
--------------------------------------
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mht\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mht\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}"
--------------------------------------

If you've already run that .reg file, you'll have to use the Registry Editor
and navigate to the following Key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mht\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

You'll have to modify the DATA value at that Key to point to:
{EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3}

Instead of:

{c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}

Do the same for .eml and .nws files as well.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

vista terminal ator

Donald... You dont know how much I want to thank you for this! IT WORKED!

I mean this was driving me nuts and I followed your very good instructions
and indeed the problem was fixed.. and now I understand WHY the other fixes
were not working!

Perhaps if kelly reads this thread she can fix the reg file on the site!

Thank you a 1000 times! May I ask how you found out the cause of this
problem?

Donald Anadell said:
[...]

vista terminal ator said:
I also tried this app
Restore Thumbnail Views in XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/xp_thumbnail.exe

and this from the command line

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\shimgvw.dll

with no avail...

could it be something with avant browser ?

Donald Anadell

Hi,

You're welcome, glad you were able to resolve the issue.

<sniip>
May I ask how you found out the cause of this problem?
</snip>

I discoved some time back(while trying to troubleshoot this issue for
someone else) that the original Windows XP install had the correct pointers
to the {EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3} shimgvw.dll(Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer) for .htm||.html||.mht||.eml||.nws at the following Registry
Key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations

I believe these were removed as default settings starting with Windows XP
SP1a(at least this is the earliest version of Windows XP that I've noticed
them missing on).

Don't know why the Kelly's corner .reg file points to
{c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}, the Video Thumbnail Extracor file
"shmedia.dll" for those file types. Perhaps that's the way it worked under
earlier version of Windows, I just don't remember?

Good luck,

Donald Anadell