menu bar won't go away

I cannot get the menu bar to go away in file explorer. The setting is
unchecked under organize->layout.
Also in folder options, always show menu disappeared.

Is there a registry setting I can use to disable this? The problem is not
present in internet explorer.
my system is windows vista ultimate lenovo oem chn

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

In the 'Start Search' box, type:

gpedit.msc<Enter>

Under:

User Configuration -> Admin Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows
Explorer

Set the policy named: 'Display the menu bar in Windows Explorer' to
'Disabled'

menu bar won''t go away

thanks for ur help,firstly. accroding ur guidance, I reset my policy. now the
"menu" in organize--layout,.the "menu" is not present befor my resetting.

I can't still hide the menu bar in file explorer

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

menu bar won't go away said:
I cannot get the menu bar to go away in file explorer. The setting is
unchecked under organize->layout.
Also in folder options, always show menu disappeared.

Is there a registry setting I can use to disable this? The problem is not
present in internet explorer.
my system is windows vista ultimate lenovo oem chn

menu bar won''t go away

thank u davehc.
Menu bar still there, I have nothing to do with it.
is this a bug of vista?

menu bar won''''t go away

thank u for ur patient help.
problem resolved.
I have used a soft named Wopti Utilities and made a Auto-optimization.
that **** auto-optimization makes menu bar wrong.

sorry for my poor english.
thanks again, warm-hearted guy.

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

As davehc said, you have to be using Vista style folders, not classic.

If that's not the issue, please open a Command Prompt window, copy & paste
the following command into the window:

reg query hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\explorer

Copy the results of that command into a reply to this message, then do the
same with:

reg query hkcu\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\explorer

--

Keith Miller (MVP) said:
In the 'Start Search' box, type:

gpedit.msc<Enter>

Under:

User Configuration -> Admin Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows
Explorer

Set the policy named: 'Display the menu bar in Windows Explorer' to
'Disabled'

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"menu bar won't go away" <menu bar won't go
(e-mail address removed)>
wrote in message
I cannot get the menu bar to go away in file explorer. The setting is
unchecked under organize->layout.
Also in folder options, always show menu disappeared.

Is there a registry setting I can use to disable this? The problem is
not
present in internet explorer.
my system is windows vista ultimate lenovo oem chn

Keyz

This method works. Thanks a lot va9rant

va9rant said:
hello, i was googling for a solution for the same problem that i have
in explorer in vista and somehow i found a solution to fix this little
problem.

i've noticed that i had the problem after i uninstalled a toolbar
program on my acer laptop, where it installed a toolbar on the explorer
menu, anyway i found that i didn't need it so i removed it, later i
realized when i tried to hide the menu bar it didn't, so i found a few
tips from the posts here and decided to edit the registry:

1. Close all explorer windows and ie browser

2. backup the following key in your registry,
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\

3. under the same registry key there will be two sub-keys
'ShellBrowser' and 'WebBrowser', go to the first key and look for
'ITBar7Layout' and delete this key.

4. Close regedit and open an explorer window and click organize,
layout, menubar.

This work for me well maybe some techies can look into this because
this somehow did the job and voila, my menu bar is back to normal, i can
hide it and unhide once again. :)