MBR Corrupt - 101GB Lost?

Reaction score
as mentioned be4 on on of the threads here i have a 160gb harddrive.
on this i had windows xp and suddenly it stopped working abt 5 weeks back,

so i set this drive to slave and set windows xp to the 120gb. everyone was telling me that the MBR on the 160 was corrupt.

i didnt bother trying to sort it how didnt really know but now i got a MASSIIVE problem. yesterday when i started to copy over some files to the 160gb. windows xp suddenly told me that my 160gb drive is unacesible/ it says drive is not accesible,

then when i restarted wiondows iot went to scan disk starting saying

'DELETED ORPHANED FILES 0002

all the way up to 30000 !!!!!!

im really worried now i got 101GB of data on this harddrive does this mean i lost it all????

i even ran some utilities from western digital it detected nothing.

does ne1 have ne suggestions? surely i havnt lost all my data?

PLEASE HELP ME

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi psd99 - first of all, I've got a quick request to ask... Can you try and put sensible thread titles so we can understand the problem better, as you put this one in all capitals with lots of exclamation marks ;) (I've renamed this one now).

On to the problem... Can you actually access the drive as it stands at the moment, and is so, what sort of files are there on the drive?

Reaction score
sorry for the title exclamtion

no i cant aceess the drive through windows xp it comes up as 'local disk'

it also comes as 'raw type'

im REALLY worried please help me.

Reaction score
and adding further to it if trying to open the drive through window xp it says 'file structure corrupt'

as its named in windows xp as 'local disk' its named in microsoft scan disk as psd99 which is its real name.

hope this all helps thanks

p.s im sure scan disk told me that my multi boot table is corrupt!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I don't think this drive was ever set-up correctly and as a result your getting these problems.

Try ... CHKDSK /f

Start/Run and type in...

chkdsk insert drive letter here /f

Example:
chkdsk c: /f

Reaction score
negative i tried chkdsk f:

and this black window appears and dissapears so fast i cant even see what it says. i think it says something abt ntfs
still when clicking on the harrdrive through windows i get

'the file or directorty is corrupted or unreadable'

has ne1 heard of software that can get data back after a quick low level format? does it actually work?

when i do this for my c: drive it works

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Try it this way ...

Start/Run then type cmd then this time the 'black window' will stay ... then type chkdsk with the correct drive letter /f it should tell you that it cannot perform that task but would you like to 'schedule' it next time you restart your computer. Tell it yes (Y) and restart your system ... chkdsk should then run.

Reaction score
okay tried this. what happens is just before windows xp startsup it goes to scan disk. it says the correct drive (psd99) but just as it starts it says something like 'unable to read mbr'

its so fast i cant see what it says!!!! now every time i restart my computer before windows xp the pc tells me that a disk check has been scheduled and it wont work each time!!!!

Ask a Question