Maybe OT but of interest to some

Jeff Needle

About a year ago, I had my identity stolen and my bank account emptied.
Since then, I've checked my bank regularly to make sure there's no more
trouble. This morning I found an unexplained $49.90 debit against my
account.

When I called the bank, I asked them who called for the money. It was a
place called Think All. By pure providence, the lady at the bank knew who
they are. "Did you order free software over the internet from them?" I
scratched my brain, and sure enough, I did order four CD's for just the cost
of shipping (about five bucks).

In very small print, Think All tells you that you get to keep two of the
CD's, but either you return two of the four within 30 days, or they'll bill
you for $49.90! And, to boot, the stuff they send out is all FREEWARE!!!!

The lady at the bank told me the same thing happened to her, and they were
very quick in resolving the issue. I'm glad for that. In the meantime,
BEWARE THINK ALL!!!

Helen

Jeff said:
[...]

Thanks. Good info of use to all readers here and elsewhere.
Helen

John Corliss

Jeff said:
[...]

Not off topic at all since they're compiling and selling CDs of
freeware. Their website, by the way and as a warning to others, is here:

http://www.thinkall.com/

I looked for any mention of that little catch and found it buried in
their "Terms of Use" page under section 7.

What a bunch of jerks.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc (who uses sock puppets)

Marko

Not off topic at all since they're compiling and selling CDs of
freeware. Their website, by the way and as a warning to others, is here:

http://www.thinkall.com/

I looked for any mention of that little catch and found it buried in
their "Terms of Use" page under section 7.

What a bunch of jerks.

Caveat qui utitur!

Cheers,
Marko.

John Corliss

Marko said:
Caveat qui utitur!

Sorry, but I don't speak Latin.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc (who uses sock puppets)
for instance. No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware,
demoware, nagware, PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited
software, trialware, viruses or warez for me, please.

EDEB

I looked for any mention of that little catch and found it buried in

7. Membership and Billing. THINK ALL provides numerous products, services,
and software in connection with its business. With respect to software
provided hereunder, there is a non-refundable shipping and handling fee for
the initial complete four CD software set. You may keep any two CD's free of
charge. The other two CD's are yours to review during a ten day trial
period. If for any reason you decide the complete set is not for you, simply
visit us at www.thinkall.com/freeCD.html before your ten day free trial
expires. You will need to follow the instructions at such web link to
indicate your intention to return two of the CD's, and you will not be
charged for the complete four CD set. If you elect to keep all four CD's or
you otherwise fail to comply with the foregoing instructions, you will be
billed the discounted price of $24.95 (which is up to 80% off the store
price) for each of the other two CD's. Every four to five weeks, you will
receive four new THINK ALL software CD's based on your preferences with the
same ten day trial terms as your first shipment described above. You may
discontinue shipments any time by visiting our web site at
http://www.thinkall.com/freeCD.html, for more information and filling out
the appropriate cancellation information therein contained.

EDEB.

Al Klein

In very small print, Think All tells you that you get to keep two of the
CD's, but either you return two of the four within 30 days, or they'll bill
you for $49.90! And, to boot, the stuff they send out is all FREEWARE!!!!

I wonder if the author(s) of any of that freeware prohibit charging
for distribution of their product. (Some prohibit the charging of
even media and/or distribution fees.) If any of them do, Think All is
in violation and can be sued for either everything they've collected
or everything it can be assumed they've collected.

Susan Bugher

Jeff said:
In very small print, Think All tells you that you get to keep two of the
CD's, but either you return two of the four within 30 days, or they'll bill
you for $49.90! And, to boot, the stuff they send out is all FREEWARE!!!!

Yuck. Do you know if they're selling any Freeware they shouldn't be? (If
it's a "free software" license (GNU GPL etc.) selling the app is legal.)
The lady at the bank told me the same thing happened to her, and they were
very quick in resolving the issue. I'm glad for that. In the meantime,
BEWARE THINK ALL!!!

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Jeff Needle

Helen said:
Thanks. Good info of use to all readers here and elsewhere.
Helen

An update since. yesterday -- I got an e-mail from them. It said, in so
many words, tough shit. You kept it, you paid for it. And then they had
the balls to say, "The good news is that you don't have to return the CDs!"
I could have screamed!!!

Jeff Needle

John Corliss said:
Not off topic at all since they're compiling and selling CDs of freeware.
Their website, by the way and as a warning to others, is here:

http://www.thinkall.com/

I looked for any mention of that little catch and found it buried in their
"Terms of Use" page under section 7.

What a bunch of jerks.

--

You got it. Their e-mail said, "It's there for you to read, so it's your
fault if you didn't read it."

I wish there was some way to mount an organized campaign against them. But
then again, I'm just really angry right now. I'll cool down in a few days.

Jeff Needle

Al Klein said:
I wonder if the author(s) of any of that freeware prohibit charging
for distribution of their product. (Some prohibit the charging of
even media and/or distribution fees.) If any of them do, Think All is
in violation and can be sued for either everything they've collected
or everything it can be assumed they've collected.

Hmmm...Open Office is one of the CD's. Sword Bible Software is another.
Both are open source. I wonder if I should alert them.

Jeff Needle

Susan Bugher said:
Yuck. Do you know if they're selling any Freeware they shouldn't be? (If
it's a "free software" license (GNU GPL etc.) selling the app is legal.)

Open Office and Sword Bible Software (not e-sword, another one) are both
there.

Susan Bugher

Jeff said:
Open Office and Sword Bible Software (not e-sword, another one) are both
there.

OpenOffice.org is open source; dual LPGL & SISSL license

Sword Bible Software => this project?
http://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp
that's also open source: GNU General Public License

AFAIK there's nothing illegal about selling either of those apps. See:

``Free software'' is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the
concept, you should think of ``free'' as in ``free speech,'' not as in
``free beer.''

-------

I have a feeling these people are too canny to sell programs *illegally*
but hope springs eternal. . . ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Al Klein

Hmmm...Open Office is one of the CD's. Sword Bible Software is another.
Both are open source. I wonder if I should alert them.

I believe that OO is GPL. <gotcha!>

Yes, by all means - notify the owners.

In_Parentheses

I believe that OO is GPL. <gotcha!>

Yes, by all means - notify the owners.

I have read this thread from the beginning to where it is now, and it
strengthens my belief that you never should buy any medium with
something that is available for free! Instead burn the CDs/DVDs
yourself, and keep 'em for reasons of archiving, or share 'em (at no
cost of course) with friends.

As for this lot, I think Jeff did a good thing: Making his experiences
public; just a pity that you can't upload a 'flashy banner' in a text
only newsgroup <grin>. I hope he finds something to make this lot pay
back!!!

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

OpenOffice.org is open source; dual LPGL & SISSL license

OOo has been relicensed. Only the LPGL is used.
I have a feeling these people are too canny to sell programs
*illegally* but hope springs eternal. . . ;)

I looked around the site a while and didn't notice anything without a
free license, but I could have overlooked something -- there's a lot
there.

nt4-ever

Susan-B said:
"``Free software'' is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the
concept, you should think of ``free'' as in ``free speech,'' not as in
``free beer.''

Please do not hit me about head for
Not understanding difference
re "free speech" vs "free beer"