Making receiver of email acknowledge receipt

Receivers acknowledgement of email

In Outlook you can set up so that the emails have to be acknowledged with a
return acknowledgement to the sender that you have received it. I cannot
find out how to do this with windows. Could you please direct me. Thank you

Dave N9

In Windows Mail...
Tools - Options - Receipts
check "Request a read receipt for all sent messages"
OK

But this only works if the recipient allows it on their email program.

Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
http://download.live.com/wlmail
"Receivers acknowledgement of email" wrote in message

In Outlook you can set up so that the emails have to be acknowledged with a
return acknowledgement to the sender that you have received it. I cannot
find out how to do this with windows. Could you please direct me. Thank
you

R. C. White

Hi, Receivers...

That is voluntary on the part of the receiver - and I consider it an
unwelcome intrusion most of the time and dangerous much of the time.

My Windows Live Mail is set to "Notify me..." when I get such a request and
I almost always decline. Very few of my friends request receipts. And I
sure don't want a SPAMMER to get a receipt confirming that the address he
used is valid! That makes my address more valuable to him and to all the
other SPAMMERS who might buy my address from him. :>(

In some business context, the setting might be useful - even valuable. But
not for me - or for must users most of the time, probably.

I see that WLMail's latest public Beta version (build 15.3.2804.0607) ,
which I'm using, has an additional setting that MIGHT address my objection,
but I haven't tried it and don't expect to. At Tools | Options | Receipts,
the 3rd Radio button now says:

O Always send a read receipt
[ ] Unless it is sent to a mailing list and my name is not on the
To or CC lines of the message

I've not yet figured out all the double-negatives in that line! :>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Receivers acknowledgement of email" wrote in message

In Outlook you can set up so that the emails have to be acknowledged with a
return acknowledgement to the sender that you have received it. I cannot
find out how to do this with windows. Could you please direct me. Thank
you

Gary VanderMolen

What you are overlooking is that Outlook is mainly used in a one company office environment
with an Exchange server. Out in the real world it is more like the wild woolly west.
Most ordinary folks (myself included) ignore receipt request. I consider it an
invasion of my privacy for you to know if and when I read your emails.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)