Making a slide show dvd with music

Reaction score
May well have been £150 in the christmas sale...

It was good at the time, and i don't see how it isn't now really.

It plays all region DVD's, is Dolby 5.1 and the other one... TruSurround? something like that compatible, Plays DVD-R's (even the cheap ones) has a bunch of outputs, the menu is well built, not at all like some cheap ones you see, filled with features i.e. zoom etc...it's easy to use...Plays all the new DVD9's too...aswell as VCD's, SVCD's and MP3's

Which departments can it be beaten in? Apart from DIVX which is illegal anyway (Cracked XVID codec)...

I don't see.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The main purpose of a dvd player is to reproduce video and audio, the quality of a dvd player is mainly judged by these two attributes, features are secondary. The video processing and audio processing have much improved in 2-3 years (due to higher bit rates offered), I have 4 dvd players in the house and all of them are different in the sense that the oldest (bought in 2000 and still in use) is the worst in terms of color purity and also audio processing. You can only know the difference if you have something to compare it with. The 13 bit DVD player that I have is leagues ahead of the 10 bit player from 3 years back. When you compare two similarly priced players bought 3 years apart they do tend to show the difference.

Some tend to emphasise on features some of quality of reproduction, to each his own.

I hope I have been able to express myself clearly.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
So, you telling me This whole site is illegal?

I find that hard to believe. DivX has been around a whiles now and appears to be an accepted format. I'm sure if Microsoft thought somebody was using and actively promoting a cracked version of their product, law-suits would be flying.

Reaction score
DivX ;-) was developed by bunch of hackers, most notably a guy called gej and it is based on Microsoft's version of MPEG-4 encoding technology, called as Windows Media Video V3.

Basically Microsoft's encoders didn't allow users to save MPEG-4 streams into AVI structure format, but forced users to use ASF instead. It also had some other limitations -- and those limitations were overriden in DivX ;-). It also added a support for other than Windows Media Audio audio encoding technology, allowing users to have MP3 audio on their movies.

In 2001, original "developers" of this hacked (and therefor illegal) codec released a new legal version of DivX ;-), called DivX (without smiley). DivX (without smiley) supports old DivX ;-) movies and also adds new features and better compression quality than "original" DivX ;-).

The name, DivX ;-), comes from now defunct CircuitCity pay-per-view DVD format called DIVX.

With DivX ;-), you can store 50-120 minutes of relatively good quality video to one CD (740MB) (==most of the movies can be stored in one CD, unlike in VCD or SVCD). Only negative aspect DivX ;-) has when it's compared to VCD is the fact that VCDs can be played with regular stand-alone DVD players and DivXs can't.

DivX, like many other MPEG-4 formats, can however be played with certain MPEG-4 compatible, stand-alone DVD/DivX players.
It WAS illegal at some stage of it's life, Just not any more :)

Ask a Question