Mainboard drivers

Reaction score
My original OS was WXP Home Ed FAT32 preinstalled. I had to get the Hard drive replaced and when they fixed it they changed the OS to NTFS. They gave me a copy of my WXP on a CD in case I needed to reinstall it.

Here is my problem: I have to reinstall WinXP Home ED. because I messed up my registry.
I was told to I would have to Download my Drivers for my Motherboard and Burn them to a CD before I reinstalled WinXP because I would not be able to get on line until the Drivers were installed. I don't know what Motherboard I have
The Manual I have gives "L4S5MG3 and I am supposed to have a CD that contains all the drivers and utility programs needed to properly run the bundled products but I did not get that CD. Is it possible to get that CD? It is called Auto Setup. It has 3 buttons: Setup,Browse CD and Exit.
Before I messed it up I ran MSINFO32 and pulled up the following INFO: (the Motherboard is different) and there is also something called :Main Circuit Board : SiS-650GX
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Operating System
Computer Profile Summary
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Processor
2.65 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Drives
80 02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
66.34 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
MotherBoard: ECS P4VMM2
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B [CD-ROM drive]
JLMS XJ-HD166S [CD-ROM drive]
VOBID InstantDrive CD SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]
Virus Protection
AVG Anti- Virus Free V-8.5.
Realtime File Scanning On
Main Circuit Board : SiS-650GX
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 05/23/2003
Memory Modules
960 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' has 512 MB
Printers
Canon pixma MX700
Display
SIS 650/651/740/661FX/741/760 series [Display adapter]
@NF NF 1702 [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n V3AI200530, October 2003)
Multimedia
C-Media AC97 Audio Device
CxACap, WDM Audio Capture
CxTuner, Philips WDM TvTuner
CxVCap, WDM Video Capture
CxXBar, WDM Crossbar
USB Audio Device
Windows Media Player 10
Spybot - Search & Destroy Version 1.6.0.3 *
Windows Defender Version 1.1.1593.0 *

I have been try other Forums but no one has helped me.
I don't even know where to begin???

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thank you.

Reaction score
rburrhead said:
Here is my problem: I have to reinstall WinXP Home ED. because I messed up my registry.

Why not just do a repair install of XP, no need to be doing a fresh install. A repair install will fix the damage you have done to your registry.

Reaction score
Repair Install

Madxgraphics said:
Why not just do a repair install of XP, no need to be doing a fresh install. A repair install will fix the damage you have done to your registry.
Thanks for answering . Hate to be so dumb but I am.
I don't know how to do a repair install . I don't know if that is on my WXP CD that the shop gave to me.
My original came Preinstalled and they gave me a CD with WXP and SP3 on it. I have not looked at the CD yet, but I will.

Reaction score
WXP CD repair/instal

rburrhead said:
Thanks for answering . Hate to be so dumb but I am.
I don't know how to do a repair install . I don't know if that is on my WXP CD that the shop gave to me.
My original came Preinstalled and they gave me a CD with WXP and SP3 on it. I have not looked at the CD yet, but I will.

I looked through the WXP CD I was given by the shop and I could not find anything about doing a repair/install. I'm going to try Google
Thanks again

Reaction score
rburrhead said:
I looked through the WXP CD I was given by the shop and I could not find anything about doing a repair/install. I'm going to try Google
Thanks again

Follow this link on how to perform a repair install..

Reaction score
Thank You . I don't know if I can Configure my computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. But I will try.

Reaction score
rburrhead said:
Thank You . I don't know if I can Configure my computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. But I will try.

You don't need to configure thcomputer to boot fom CD/DVD...Open the CD tray, insert the XP Cd. shut the tray. Then restart the computer. After Restart you will see the screeen start displaying POST, then at the bottom left of the screen you will see "Press any key to boot from Cd
Press any key to boot from Cd/DVD"

Press any key and the computer will now boot from the CD, then just follow the instructions as set out in the link I gave you. Hey presto job done..

Reaction score
I thank you for putting up with me.I hope i don't ware you out with my lack of knowledge. One of these days I will get this thing fixed because of all you HELP. And GOD BLESS THE BRITISH. :O :)

Reaction score
Attempt #1

Sorry to be so long but my wife has been in the Hospital for the past 2 weeks and this is the first chance I have had to try the repair install. I tried it today and I did get somethings back but it is still not right. I will get back with more INFO tomorrow I hope. I may try and do the repair install again and see what happens'
Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
attempt#2

On my 1st Rec.INst I did get some things back but i am still missing a lot of WXP usage.No HELP section at all and unable to use IE6 or up date it to a later version. When I click on WINDOWS or MS UPDATE I get this message :(The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation contaxt)
So I tried the Rec Inst again and I was able to use IE6 but could not UPDATE it. I could not detect any other changes.
Here is how I got into this MESS in the 1st place. I was following INSTS. to do a clean uninstall on a program called WinDVR3 so as to try to reinstall it again, which I have not been able to do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type "regedit" then "Ok".
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Uninstall
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was supposed to OPEN UNINSTALL AND DELETE (1) FILE that pertained to WinDVR3 ---BUT---
stuped me I deleted 28 files that were in the Uninstall folder.
These files are called: Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ARPCache

I am going to try to do another REC .Inst and see if I can get some more of these files back.

If this does not work I will try to do a regular install of WXP and try to install the Motherboard Drivers which I have downloaded and have on a CD.
I don't know if I will ever get this fixed but i thank you for helping me try to.

Reaction score
In addition to above

What I said above is very confusing even to me. I hope you can figure out what I said?
I am wondering if the WXP CD I was given by the PC Shop has something wrong with it? I read somewhere that I can make a copy of the WXP program I have even though it was preinstalled, bit I don't know how to do that. Can this be done? Any help on this ????
Thanks again

Reaction score
rburrhead said:
What I said above is very confusing even to me. I hope you can figure out what I said?
I am wondering if the WXP CD I was given by the PC Shop has something wrong with it? I read somewhere that I can make a copy of the WXP program I have even though it was preinstalled, bit I don't know how to do that. Can this be done? Any help on this ????
Thanks again

Hi,

After looking through this thread the best thing I can suggest that you do is backup any important data that you have on the computer to a disk or pen drive. And then proceed with a clean installation of Windows XP. If you have tried a number of repair installations then it looks like the only way to properly fix this problem is to wipe the windows installation and reinstall a fresh copy of it.

One bit of advice never delete anything in the registry that you are unsure about or don’t delete anything at all, and I recommend against using registry cleaner programmes in my experiences they cause more harm than good. I have had many problems with computers after using Registry Cleaners.

Others may be able to give a better resolution to this problem but if it was me then that’s what I would do.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Reaction score
install WXP

Thank you so much for the advice, I think this is what I have to do.
I forgot to mention that after I did the REP. INST a small Blue File Cabinet appeared on my desk top, it has 109 files in it and if you R click on a file you have 2 options: COPY or EXTRACT .

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/Shortcut%20to%20SUPPORT.lnk

I don't know what these files are or if they would help solve the problem. I don't know if you can see them?
I think I will do as you suggested.
Thanks

Reaction score
rburrhead said:
Thank you so much for the advice, I think this is what I have to do.
I forgot to mention that after I did the REP. INST a small Blue File Cabinet appeared on my desk top, it has 109 files in it and if you R click on a file you have 2 options: COPY or EXTRACT .

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/Shortcut%20to%20SUPPORT.lnk

I don't know what these files are or if they would help solve the problem. I don't know if you can see them?
I think I will do as you suggested.
Thanks

Hi

I doubt whether the files that you are talking about will fix the problem but you can post a screen shot anyway then I can take a look for you.

Reaction score
Clean Installation

You mentioned a CLEAN INSTALLATION, do I have to do anything before I insert the WXP CD and click on install? Or do I just put it in the slot and go with it?

I don't know how to post a screen shot. I can get the screen shot, but I don't know how to get it to you.

Reaction score
rburrhead said:
You mentioned a CLEAN INSTALLATION, do I have to do anything before I insert the WXP CD and click on install? Or do I just put it in the slot and go with it?

I don't know how to post a screen shot. I can get the screen shot, but I don't know how to get it to you.

Check out the attachments frohow to upload screen shots..

Attachments

• screen.png
    screen.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 142
  • screen1.png
    screen1.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 140
Reaction score
Hi
You will need to back up any data that you want to keep as a clean install will erase all the data on the hard drive. The other thing i suggest doing is if you can find all the drivers that you will need. Let us know if you want any help.
Edit - I take it that you know you need to boot from the windows disk to do a clean install?
If not then post back and either my self or someone will talk you through it. :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question