Mail locked out

Gerry

When trying to open windows mail, it keeps asking me for my username and
password - never did before. I looked in other threads and made sure the
password enabled was unchecked and still no luck

Any help would be appreciated

Account: 'Windows mail', Server: 'mail.optimum.net', Protocol: POP3, Server
Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I'm no computer whiz - so hopefully it's something simple

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Thanks for including your complete error message. At least it allows
me to see that your settings are good, so we need to look elsewhere
for the cause of the problem.

First, test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail:
https://signin.optimum.net/signin

If that works, it proves you have the correct username and password.
A likely reason for the username/password failing in Windows Mail is
account corruption. One thing you should try as a possible quick fix is
to delete that corrupted mail account, restart Windows Mail, then
recreate that account.

If that doesn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

For more on why email scanning in your antivirus is bad, see:

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Gerry" wrote in message
When trying to open windows mail, it keeps asking me for my username and
password - never did before. I looked in other threads and made sure the
password enabled was unchecked and still no luck

Any help would be appreciated

Account: 'Windows mail', Server: 'mail.optimum.net', Protocol: POP3, Server
Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I'm no computer whiz - so hopefully it's something simple

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

You're very welcome. Thanks for reporting back.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Gerry" wrote in message
Thanks the problem was on Optimums end and they cleared it up thanks again

Tonny