Mafia II + DLC Avaliable

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Vito Scaletta has started to make a name for himself on the streets of Empire Bay as someone who can be trusted to get a job done. Together with his buddy Joe, he is working to prove himself to the Mafia, quickly escalating up the family ladder with crimes of larger reward, status and consequence… the life as a wise guy isn’t quite as untouchable as it seems.

Key Features:
  • Action-Packed Gameplay: Intense gunplay, white-knuckle car chases and visceral hand-to-hand combat —it will take all that and more to become a “made man”.
  • Epic Gangster Story: Inspired by iconic mafia drama, the compelling characters and cinematic presentation will pull players into the allure and impossible escape of life in the Mafia.
  • Immersive World and Period: Enter the world of Empire Bay - World War II is raging in Europe and the architecture, cars, music and clothing all echo the period in stunning detail. As time passes, hot rod cars, 50s fashion and some of the era’s best music reflect the birth of a cool new era.
  • Illusion Engine™: 2K Czech’s proprietary Illusion Engine, allows gamers to explore Empire Bay’s 10 square miles of beautifully rendered outdoor environments and intricately designed interiors.
  • Soundtrack Reflects the Mood of the Era: Players will be immersed in the Golden Era of America as Mafia II features tracks from some of the era’s most influential artists.
  • Steamworks achievements and leaderboards included!

System Requirements

• Minimum:
    • OS: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7
    • Processor: Pentium D 3Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (Dual core) or higher
    • RAM: 1.5 GB RAM
    • Hard Disk Space: 8GB
    • Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600 / ATI HD2600 Pro or better
    • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
    • Peripherals: Keyboard and mouse or Windows compatible gamepad
  • Recommended:
    • OS: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7
    • Processor: 2.4 GHz Quad Core processor
    • RAM: 2GB
    • Hard Disk Space: 10GB
    • Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX / ATI Radeon HD 3870 or better
    • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
    • Peripherals: Keyboard and mouse or Windows compatible gamepad

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50130/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just gave it a go, it crashed on me.

From what I saw of the game however, it looks graphically very good and the game seems good.

Car handling was a bit iffy I thought, the one I drove seemed to wallow all over the place, quite difficult to control initially.

Great fifties rock and roll soundtrack.

I wonder why it crashed on me?

I think my machine meets minmum specs, maybe my CPU wasn't up to it.

My spec:

Asus P5B Deluxe socket 775
Intel Core duo 2.4Ghz 6600
Nvidia 9800GTX 512Mb
4Gb RAM
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude soundcard
Win 7 64 Bit
All latest drivers

Makes me want to dig out the first Mafia game, that was good. Good but hard. I never finished it, got as far as coming down from a roof into a Church service and never could get past that bit.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hey flops, this was updated through steam today. A fix for the physx bug i posted above. Maybe helps your crashing issue?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Started the demo, the 'installer.exe' thingie started again which was probably the patch/update.

Played it again, it didn't crash :thumb:

Also plugged the Xbox controller in for driving the vehicles, that was so much better, could drive a lot faster using a gamepad though I think it'll still take a bit of getting used to.

The combat system is excellent though if I get the full game I'll have to remap a few controls, I really don't like using the ctrl buttons for anything.

I know it's only the demo but when I died during the first shooty bit I was returned to the start of that level, where you're firing the machine gun out of the first floor window.

I do hope the finished game has a better save system.

Very much like Grand Theft Auto IV but with the character of Mafia 1.

I think I may just take a chance and buy this one when it's released, as long as the reviews are positive.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Anyone else playing this? Am liking it a lot. Quite like GTA set in the 1940-1950's, no bad thing IMO.

Jimmys Vendetta DLC is out today, Already... (it seems this was originally cut out of the original game) Not a good show by 2K i dont think....

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50145/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Despite them wanting cash for a level that should have been included with the finished game, I will probably buy this game. I've read nothing but good reports about it, only slight criticism is the ubiquitous save system where it only saves at checkpoints. That and the cars' handling takes a little getting used to, as I mentioned earlier.

I know of a guy on another forum who's completed it already, he said it was very good indeed.

I'm going to wait a little while though, I'm a bit fed up paying 30 or 35 quid for a game (especially Metro 2033 :mad: ) only to see it sell for 20 quid or less a coupla months later. I'm not one of those who has to have the latest games right now, my own time will do nicely ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bargain!

I just finished Mafia 2, I got it for £5.74 when Steam were selling loads of stuff cheap and I have to say it's one of the best games I've played in ages.

I also got the two hot rods and clothes dlc and Jimmy's Vendetta el cheapo, the whole lot came to less than nine quid.

Playing Jimmy's Vendetta atm. tbh a bit dull compared to main game but not bad.

CSB

Reaction score
I've bought the Retail DVD version from Zavvi, by why has STEAM application said I already own the game and has started downloading game files from scracth ???. been going for like 15 mins and says 5%.

All the files should be on the Disc surely ?. its going to take hours to pay if I have to download only. Just Cause 2 didn't force me to download and installed of the Disc.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cancel it and install from the disk?

CSB

Reaction score
I've tried but it won't let me cancel, only pause the download, is at 47% now, I've even tried the reinstall option on the setup splash screen but it just goes back to STEAM to say its validating a particular file.

This is why I went off PC gaming a few years ago, cos of (e-mail address removed) like this lol. I have the game on PS3 which I can play just by sticking the disc in but buying PC version of games makes you work to actually play them.

I'm having a moan and I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow but its really annoying to me, when console games can be played without any of this rubbish instalation problems.

Guess I'll have to let it finish downloading as I can't find anything useful via Google search.

Thanks for your reply V_R

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You know you can stop the DL if you want, you dont have to let it run. Next time you launch Steam it will carry on where it left off.

Though that dont explain why its not installing from the disk...

EDIT: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5357-FSQM-0382

Thinking about it i had this with MW2, think i just cancelled the DL and deleted local content, then installed from disk. I deffo didn't DL it.

:)

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks for the link V_R, really appreciated. Now I'm probably being thick, but in the run command I'm typing C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe

But then the rest is confusing me. what do type after the "exe"

I know it says type "install E:" (letter to match your drive instead of E). but how is it added onto the above to get it to install from the disc.

Yes I really am this dull :(

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Whats your dvd drives letter?

C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install D would be the norm. :0

But i'm sure you dont eve need to do that tbh.....

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?82726-Install-Mafia-2-on-Steam
If its downloading on Steam and it's 5gig then it isn't installing with the CD. Try starting fresh. When your in Steam right click on Mafia II and delete local content. Now run the Mafia 2 CD and install with that. A Steam window should appear asking for the CD Key. Put it in and accept and it should activate it through steam but install from the CD. Once its installed there will only be a small download and then it will set up direct x and you should be ready to go. I hope this helps I suck at explaining things.
Think that is what i did with MW2 when it tried to do the same to me... :)

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks again V_R, I paused the download, deleted local content, put the DVD in again and this time it did install from the Disc. I hope Steam will do something to correct this issue.

Had it on Max and looks even better than the PS3 version. Woo hooo

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah good stufff. :)

Yeah i dont really know why it does it tbh, on of those random things i guess.

Glad its sorted, no go enjoy the game. :D

PS: I should hope it does look better than the PS3 version!! ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well its that time again, Mafia in the sale on Steam. :)

There is also a competition to win the current 2K Games steam catalogue, however you must already own an item from the sales list and be part of the Official 2K Steam group to be eligible, perfect for anyone who is going for this deal, or even people who got Mafia II free with their graphics card!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/2kgamesgroup

Ask a Question