Mad Dog USB DvD writer

Howard Brazee

I just bought a Mad Dog MultiMedia USB DVD writer MD-16XDVD9-EXT. I
considered getting Double layered blank disks, but they were too expensive, so I
just got the single layered blank disks with it.

I plugged it into my one of my XP Pro machines and was able to play CDs and
DVDs. I installed Nero from it to my main computer. Then I put in a blank
DvD and clicked on it, to get a window from My Computer saying E:\is not
accessible. Incorrect Function OK.

I plugged it into another computer and was able to click on that disk. So I
decided to copy all of my pictures to the DvD. It copied for a while, and
needed me to clear up some space. As a back-up tool this can be a problem,
using Windows to create a disk means I need a lot of free hard drive space.
After copying them all to temporary space somewhere, I told the Mad Dog to burn
the CD.

The CD Writing Wizard told me to "Insert a writable disc to continue". The
disk in the drive is not a writeable CD or it is full.

So I went back to the original computer and called Mad Dog support. While
waiting, the answering machine told me to have the model number available - this
model number is on the front of the box, but not on my drive. I infer that's
so they don't have to give support after we throw away the box and don't have
any way to tell what model number we have. They told me that there was
something wrong with my Nero installation, so I installed Nero again. I did
not find anything in Nero to enable me to write to the DvD, so I uninstalled
Nero and rebooted. Still can't open the blank CD.

Oh, in case it is important, this computer already has a R: CD, and a W: CD-W.
The USB Mad Dog becomes an E:

I have a program that came with my Dazzle memory card reader, that creates a CD
that is a slide show readable by DVD players connected to the TV. I thought I
would use that to write my DVD, but it doesn't recognize DVDs despite its name.
That would be a nice way to back up all my photos (that are too numerous to fit
on a CD).

I just took the drive to work. I plugged it into my W2K machine, figuring that
if it needed special drivers, I would have to wait until a PC person came who
could log on with administrator privelege. I plugged it in, and put in a CD.
RealAudio tried to play it but did so silently. I killed RealAudio and was
able to play that music via Windows Media Player. I replaced this disk with a
blank DvD, and clicked on it to get a window telling me to please insert a disk.

I haven't yet tried using Windows backup program to back-up to DvD. The first
thing I wanted to do was copy all of my pictures to a single disk to share with
family.

Any advice on what my next step should be?

howard

Subject: Mad Dog USB DvD writer
From: "Howard Brazee" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:10:06 GMT
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

[...]

I just tried opening this drive with an unwritten CD. It doesn't see it.