Lowering McAfee's priority to "below normal' on XP problematic

RichardOnRails

Hi,

I tried lowering McAfee's priority to "below normal" because it
frequently slows my XP machine to a crawl. When I tried it, I got a
warning that such action might make Windows unstable. When I clicked
something like "Do it, regardless", it seemed to fail.

1. Would reducing McAfee's priority really make my machine unstable?
2. If it's not really going to caused instability, how can I reduce
it's priority.

TIA,
Richard

Shenan Stanley

RichardOnRails said:
I tried lowering McAfee's priority to "below normal" because it
frequently slows my XP machine to a crawl. When I tried it, I got
a warning that such action might make Windows unstable. When I
clicked something like "Do it, regardless", it seemed to fail.

1. Would reducing McAfee's priority really make my machine unstable?
2. If it's not really going to caused instability, how can I reduce
it's priority.

Get rid of McAfee, use Avira AntiVir.

Anteaus

Lowering the priority would only make realtime scans take longer, so
programs would take even longer to open.

Ditch McAfee and try Avira, AVG, Eset, etc.

Ken Blake, MVP

I tried lowering McAfee's priority to "below normal" because it
frequently slows my XP machine to a crawl. When I tried it, I got a
warning that such action might make Windows unstable. When I clicked
something like "Do it, regardless", it seemed to fail.

1. Would reducing McAfee's priority really make my machine unstable?
2. If it's not really going to caused instability, how can I reduce
it's priority.

I recommend doing much more than lowering its priority. Get rid of it
entirely! It's among the poorest anti-virus programs available.

Instead of McAfee, I recommend that you get eSET NOD32, if you are
willing to pay for it. Or if you want a free one, get either Avast! or
Avira.

Saucy

There are alternatives to McAfee. Check out Microsoft's "Security
Essentials" - free. Else consider Grisoft's AVG, Avast!, etc. etc.

message

db

my experience with
mccrapafee has been
less than fruitful.

their technical support
are unhelpful and morons
and told them I wouldn't
recommend their crappy
software before hanging up.

however, I now use
microsoft's security
essentials and has
worked with windows
flawlessly.

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

bobster

+1
I dumped Avast!, ZoneAlarm and SpywareBlaster and installed Microsoft
Security Essentials and Windows firewall several months ago. I've had no
problems to date. My XP system boots and shuts down faster and websites
literally jump onto my display. As a secondary check, I run Malwarebytes
and SUPERAntiSpyware once a week.

BTW, the three Apps I dumped worked fine and I would recommend them to
anyone who feels at risk with MSE and the Win firewall. But recognize that
they can slow down the operation of your computer. That was my experience.

"db" <databaseben at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
my experience with
mccrapafee has been
less than fruitful.

their technical support
are unhelpful and morons
and told them I wouldn't
recommend their crappy
software before hanging up.

however, I now use
microsoft's security
essentials and has
worked with windows
flawlessly.

--

[...]

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the responses, and based on them, I'm uninstalling
McAffee now.

I've been running PrevX solely for years -- with great satisfaction --
and installed McAfee only because Comcast recommended it and provided
it gratis.

I'll continue my PrevX subscription and look into Microsoft's
"Security
Essentials" (which I hadn't heard of) and maybe Grisoft's AVG if it's
not duplicative of PrevX services.

Thanks to All,
Richard

RichardOnRails

What did McAfee Support or the experts in the McAfee Community Forums have
to say about this when you asked them?

See if this McAfee three-step fix resolves the problem:http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Hi Robear,

I didn't check for any response to my post until tonight because of
the snow storm in the East Coast of USA.

After seeing all the negative assessments of McAfee's software (which
reinforced my got feeling), I decided to:
1. uninstall McAfee;
2. rely mainly on my PrevX subscription; and
3. look into Microsoft's "Security Essentials" and maybe Grisoft's
AVG.

So I didn't check McAfee Support or the experts in the McAfee
Community Forums have
to say about this when you asked them? I didnt check those sources
initially because I didn't think I'd get worthwhile responses.

Even though I didn't follow your advice in this instance, I
appreciate your response.

Best wishes,
Richard

shawn

I used to use AVG because it was free, but have since moved to Avast! to be
MUCH better.

message
On Feb 11, 1:21 am, RichardOnRails
[...]

Thanks Shawn,

I'll take a look at it, I appreciate you taking the trouble to post
about it.

Best Wishes,
Richard