Lots and Lots of Acr files....Help!

Reaction score
Hi all , I'm looking for help with a process that seems to be writing files at a tremendous rate to my Windows\temp dir.. The file names all follow the same format in that they are: Acrhhhh.TMP where hhhh is a 4 digit HEX number. The process that appears to be writing the files is cidaemon.exe which I understand to be a windows file indexing process. All the files are 2000Kb's and some times there are 4 instances of cidaemon running at any one time. Anybody got any ideas? The file are not deleted by the process writing them and so the C:\ drive just filles up...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Cidaemon.exe is the Microsoft Indexing Service.

Right click My Computer, select Manage, expand Services and Applications, click on Services, double click on Indexing Service. Press Stop, if it's running. You can set the startup type to Manual or Disabled, and press OK.

To help us help you, please make sure you provide the following information when asking a technical question about your PC:
  • Operating System: e.g. Windows XP or Windows Vista
  • Anti Virus Software : e.g. AVG Free, Norton
  • Anti Spyware Software : e.g. AdAware, Microsoft Defender
  • How do you connect to the net : e.g. ADSL (router?), 56k Modem
  • Your Computer Specifications - This is very important!!
If you are unsure of your system specifications you can download SIW here which is a free tool that can give you all of the information you need to know. If you aren't familiar with your system, things to mention from SIW are : Motherboard vendor and model (motherboard tab), physical memory (system info tab), CPU name (CPU info tab), Video Processor (video tab).

If you think you have a virus/spyware on your system that you can't remove using the normal tools then please be sure to attach a HJT log from here. This will help us diagnose applications that run at startup.
:thumb:

Welcome to the forums. ;)

Reaction score
Thanks that sorted it

Many thanks for your help, your advice was more or less the same as I subsequently found at www.support.microsoft.com What was leaving me cold was that the files were not being deleted at the end of each session hence the C drive was filling up to the point that Windows was struggling. Still this seems to have stopped it in its tracks. Thanks again.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Not sure why it 'went wrong' but, one of the first things I do on XP is turn off that Indexing stuff ... you will suffer no adverse affect, and actually, may grow some hair back.

... and another, for all our readers, is

To turn off indexing:

Open up My Computer.
Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose Properties.
Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..."
Click OK, and files will be removed from memory. This will/may take a few minutes to complete.

:thumb:

Reaction score
"Allow Indexing Service to..." Not There?

Thanks, but I've tried to find what your referring to under the C: properties, but not on my version.... Nothing below "Disk Cleanup" button. Only thing that comes close is the write caching setting on the policies tab under the Hardware Tab properties.

D

muckshifter

Reaction score
bagsterbtd said:
Thanks, but I've tried to find what your referring to under the C: properties, but not on my version.... Nothing below "Disk Cleanup" button. Only thing that comes close is the write caching setting on the policies tab under the Hardware Tab properties.

D
ok, try it this way ...

press the 'Window Key' & 'E' at the same time ... right-click on the HD ... click on Properties ... then un-tick the box next to "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching" ... Click Apply. Make sure to select "Apply changes to :\, subfolders and files." before clicking OK in the new window ... :thumb:

indexing.jpg

indexing_confirm.jpg

Reaction score
No... Its not there...

Like I said, not there.... suspect this is because the system was delivered with the file system set up as FAT32...
D

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 136

muckshifter

Reaction score
Oh gawd, what are Acer not ? they are not computer literate. :rolleyes:

:user:

Ask a Question