Losing netowork regularly

davegthomas1

Finally found someone else having this problem. I having been with this
trouble from March. Really annoying. Only recently can I find this thread by
google.

Ping works, but not any TCP connection, I found. This happens to me every 1
to 3 days. And it can recover after idling for a night.

My machine is a Thinkpad T60 with Vista Premium preinstalled.

I'll be watching this thread closely. Hope someone can come up with a
solution soon.

I'm with you guys too, using Mailwasher on Vista Ultimate, getting a
socket error # 10013. Surely it is time that Ken Zhao escallated this
error up to second or third level support. Some of us are aware that
MS fiddled with the comms in Vista and it is about time they fixed
some of their errors.

mister.jones

I'm with you guys too, using Mailwasher on Vista Ultimate, getting a
socket error # 10013. Surely it is time that Ken Zhao escallated this
error up to second or third level support. Some of us are aware that
MS fiddled with the comms in Vista and it is about time they fixed
some of their errors.

So to summarize:
- We are a bunch of people who have the same problem on different hardware
(Intel, AMD, Laptop).
- Happens only under Vista, but not on all computers.
- The main symptom seems to be a 10013 winsock error occuring regularly,
remaining for some hours or until reboot.
- I can reproduce the error on one machine after a reboot by just repeatedly
(~100 times) hitting reload on any website in IE7. It seems not to occur in
safe-mode, but perhaps I just did not try long enough.

A response by someone from MS would be very much appreciated by all of us.
Thanks!

I have this problem, too.

It will lost the connect of network suddenly when i browse the web pages,
but the IM softwares using UDP are still working. In other words, TCP is
broken but UDP is OK.

The strange has another indicates:
A computer connect to the Internet through Home Networks with ICS by Vista
can connect to the Internet normally when the HOST computer can't surf the
web pages.

BTW, I have followed the KB928233, but it didn't work.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Jones,

Based on my deep research, this similar issue may occur because of a bug in
the WinSock bind() function. For more related information, please refer to:

937168: After you configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows Vista,
the network connection stops working after one-to-two hours
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937168/en-us

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:15:48 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing

| >> trouble from March. Really annoying. Only recently can I find this
thread
| >> by
| >> google.
| >>
| >> Ping works, but not any TCP connection, I found. This happens to me
every
| >> 1
| >> to 3 days. And it can recover after idling for a night.
| >>
| >> My machine is a Thinkpad T60 with Vista Premium preinstalled.
| >>
| >> I'll be watching this thread closely. Hope someone can come up with a
| >> solution soon.
|

| > I'm with you guys too, using Mailwasher on Vista Ultimate, getting a
| > socket error # 10013. Surely it is time that Ken Zhao escallated this
| > error up to second or third level support. Some of us are aware that
| > MS fiddled with the comms in Vista and it is about time they fixed
| > some of their errors.
| >

| So to summarize:
| - We are a bunch of people who have the same problem on different
hardware
| (Intel, AMD, Laptop).
| - Happens only under Vista, but not on all computers.
| - The main symptom seems to be a 10013 winsock error occuring regularly,
| remaining for some hours or until reboot.
| - I can reproduce the error on one machine after a reboot by just
repeatedly
| (~100 times) hitting reload on any website in IE7. It seems not to occur
in
| safe-mode, but perhaps I just did not try long enough.
|
| A response by someone from MS would be very much appreciated by all of
us.
| Thanks!

mister.jones

Hi Ken,
Thanks really very much.
For me, KB937168 seems to have solved the problem.
Since installing the hotfix, I could no longer reproduce the intermittant
loss of (TCP) network connectivity.
ICS was enabled on that machine, but I would never have traced the problem
to this.
Again, thank you for this effort, Ken!
Best regards
mister.jones

--------------------

| So to summarize:
| - We are a bunch of people who have the same problem on different
hardware
| (Intel, AMD, Laptop).
| - Happens only under Vista, but not on all computers.
| - The main symptom seems to be a 10013 winsock error occuring regularly,
| remaining for some hours or until reboot.
| - I can reproduce the error on one machine after a reboot by just
repeatedly
| (~100 times) hitting reload on any website in IE7. It seems not to occur
in
| safe-mode, but perhaps I just did not try long enough.
|
| A response by someone from MS would be very much appreciated by all of
us.
| Thanks!
|

| > -------
| > | | > |
| > |
| > | Hi there, I have a very strange problem with Vista's networking: From
| > time
| > | to time, it looses the ability to browse the internet for a period of
| > | minutes to hours.
| > | - Internet Explorer does not work (neither http, https, ftp)
| > | - FireFox does not work
| > | - Remote Desktop does not work.
| > | - VNC viewer gives "Socket Error 10013" (Access denied)
| > | - Diagnose/Repair does not help.
| > |
| > | However,
| > | - configuration is ok (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, ...)
| > | - ping works (local and internet)
| > | - nslookup works
| > | - chat, p2p applications work
| > | - LAN works
| > |
| > | Usually, after 30min-2h the problem disappears.
| > |
| > | Is this problem known to Microsoft? (It is certainly known to others,
as
| > | found a similar description on the web.) Is there a solution?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |

ALL ISP

Really great to hear that. But, how did you get the hotfix? There is no
download link. Do I have to send them an email to get it? Or do I have to
call?

Thanks,

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Jones,

Based on my deep research, this similar issue may occur because of a bug
in
the WinSock bind() function. For more related information, please refer
to:

937168: After you configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows Vista,
the network connection stops working after one-to-two hours
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937168/en-us

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

--------------------

| So to summarize:
| - We are a bunch of people who have the same problem on different
hardware
| (Intel, AMD, Laptop).
| - Happens only under Vista, but not on all computers.
| - The main symptom seems to be a 10013 winsock error occuring
regularly,
| remaining for some hours or until reboot.
| - I can reproduce the error on one machine after a reboot by just
repeatedly
| (~100 times) hitting reload on any website in IE7. It seems not to
occur
in
| safe-mode, but perhaps I just did not try long enough.
|
| A response by someone from MS would be very much appreciated by all of
us.
| Thanks!
|

| > -------
| > | | > |
| > |
| > | Hi there, I have a very strange problem with Vista's networking:
From
| > time
| > | to time, it looses the ability to browse the internet for a period
of
| > | minutes to hours.
| > | - Internet Explorer does not work (neither http, https, ftp)
| > | - FireFox does not work
| > | - Remote Desktop does not work.
| > | - VNC viewer gives "Socket Error 10013" (Access denied)
| > | - Diagnose/Repair does not help.
| > |
| > | However,
| > | - configuration is ok (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, ...)
| > | - ping works (local and internet)
| > | - nslookup works
| > | - chat, p2p applications work
| > | - LAN works
| > |
| > | Usually, after 30min-2h the problem disappears.
| > |
| > | Is this problem known to Microsoft? (It is certainly known to
others,
as
| > | found a similar description on the web.) Is there a solution?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |

hi
I have a compaq hp laptop and until 2 days ago my wireless connection was
working fine, after hybernating my computer stated that it had installed some
updates and had rebooted itself, since then my internet explorer will not
work can still access messenger and limewire but no browser, have tried
reading the troubleshooting but nothing really helps, can anyone suggest what
might be wrong
--
iole

mister.jones said:
Hi czpdx,
MSFT does not seem to have any clue about this problem. Perhaps we can find
some similarity to our situation.
What mainboard and network card do you use?
Here it is an ABit AB9Pro which has the problems. The board has two Realtek
8168 network adapters with the latest drivers (6.193) installed. No
firewalls installed, except Windows' own.
Regards
mister.jones

czpdx said:
I, too, am having this same problem. Ping, Outlook, and other internet
services work fine, but web browsers (both IE7 and Firefox) have no
connectivity. When trying a web page, I just get the "Web Page Found,
Waiting For Reply..." message and status bar. I do not get an "Unable to
load page.." error. Similar situation in Firefox.

Any solutions????

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Jones,

Thanks for your response.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

--------------------
| From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 02:06:56 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hello Ken,
| thanks for the instructions. However, there was one problem with the
"netsh
| winsock reset" command. It gave the following error: "The system cannot
find
| the file specified." (Same if I go into netsh, change to winsock and
then
| type reset. Command was typed correctly.)
|
| Fortunately, I had backed up the winsock/winsock2 key before deleting,
| because the computer had no network connection anymore when the
"winsock
| reset" command failed.
| After restoring both winsock/winsock2 registry keys, "netsh winsock
reset"
| executed without problem. You should perhaps adapt your instructions.
|
| I cannot say whether the problem still occurs. I will keep you updated
| whether the computer still loses connection or not.
|
| Best regards
| mister.jones

Newsbeitrag
| | > Hello Jones,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > From your post, this is a strange issue. To verify if the issue is
related
| > to TCP/IP component in Windows Vista, I will suggest you try the
following
| > steps:
| >
| > Important: Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the
registry
| > incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method.
These
| > problems might require that you reinstall your operating system.
Microsoft
| > cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the
registry
at
| > your own risk.
| >
| > 1. Delete the following registry keys:
| > o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
| > o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
| >
| > Method 1:
| > o Click Start, click Run, type the following commands, and then press
| > ENTER:
| > REG DELETE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
| > REG DELETE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
| > Note: Type the first command, press ENTER, and then repeat this for
the
| > next command. These commands work only for Windows 2000, Windows XP,
and
| > Windows Vista.
| >
| > Method 2:
| > a. Click Start, click Run, type Regedit , and then press ENTER.
| > b. Search for the following key strings, and then delete them:
| > o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
| > o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\
| >
| > 2. Restart the computer.
| >
| > 3. Follow the steps to reinstall TCP/IP.
| >
| > Reinstall TCP/IP
| > =================
| > 1. Click Start , type cmd in the Start Search text box, and then
press
| > ENTER.
| > 2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
| > netsh int ip reset log.txt
| > o If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error message.
Type
| > the command again.
| > o If the command runs successfully, a new command prompt appears.
| > 3. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
| > netsh winsock reset
| > o If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error message.
Type
| > the command again.
| > o If the command runs successfully, a new command prompt appears.
| > 4. Type exit , and then press ENTER.
| > 5. Restart the computer.
| >
| > If the issue still occurs after reset TCP/IP, please help us confirm
if
| > the
| > issue also happens on other Windows Vista clients in the network.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| > | Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 22:32:38 +0200
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > |
| > | No.
| > |
| > |

| > -----
| > Newsbeitrag
| > |
| > | Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
| > | Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
| > | http://www.ChicagoTech.net
| > | How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
| > | http://www.HowToNetworking.com
| > |
| > |
| > |

| > -------
| > | | > |
| > |
| > | Hi there, I have a very strange problem with Vista's networking:
From
| > time
| > | to time, it looses the ability to browse the internet for a period
of
| > | minutes to hours.
| > | - Internet Explorer does not work (neither http, https, ftp)
| > | - FireFox does not work
| > | - Remote Desktop does not work.
| > | - VNC viewer gives "Socket Error 10013" (Access denied)
| > | - Diagnose/Repair does not help.
| > |
| > | However,
| > | - configuration is ok (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, ...)
| > | - ping works (local and internet)
| > | - nslookup works
| > | - chat, p2p applications work
| > | - LAN works
| > |
| > | Usually, after 30min-2h the problem disappears.
| > |
| > | Is this problem known to Microsoft? (It is certainly known to
others,
as
| > | found a similar description on the web.) Is there a solution?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |

mister.jones

Getting the hotfix was no problem. From the site with the hotfix info you
follow the link to the support hotline number.
You tell the support person directly that you need the hotfix KB937168. I
was then only asked for my name and an email address and two hours later, I
had the hotfix in my mailbox. No hassle, no support fees.
Perhaps it is even sufficient to write an email to them, but I did not try
that.
Good luck
mister.jones

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Jones,

Based on my deep research, this similar issue may occur because of a bug
in
the WinSock bind() function. For more related information, please refer
to:

937168: After you configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows
Vista,
the network connection stops working after one-to-two hours
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937168/en-us

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

--------------------

| So to summarize:
| - We are a bunch of people who have the same problem on different
hardware
| (Intel, AMD, Laptop).
| - Happens only under Vista, but not on all computers.
| - The main symptom seems to be a 10013 winsock error occuring
regularly,
| remaining for some hours or until reboot.
| - I can reproduce the error on one machine after a reboot by just
repeatedly
| (~100 times) hitting reload on any website in IE7. It seems not to
occur
in
| safe-mode, but perhaps I just did not try long enough.
|
| A response by someone from MS would be very much appreciated by all of
us.
| Thanks!
|

| > -------
| > | | > |
| > |
| > | Hi there, I have a very strange problem with Vista's networking:
From
| > time
| > | to time, it looses the ability to browse the internet for a period
of
| > | minutes to hours.
| > | - Internet Explorer does not work (neither http, https, ftp)
| > | - FireFox does not work
| > | - Remote Desktop does not work.
| > | - VNC viewer gives "Socket Error 10013" (Access denied)
| > | - Diagnose/Repair does not help.
| > |
| > | However,
| > | - configuration is ok (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, ...)
| > | - ping works (local and internet)
| > | - nslookup works
| > | - chat, p2p applications work
| > | - LAN works
| > |
| > | Usually, after 30min-2h the problem disappears.
| > |
| > | Is this problem known to Microsoft? (It is certainly known to
others,
as
| > | found a similar description on the web.) Is there a solution?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |

I would concur with mister.jones. The hotfix has stopped the socket 10013
issue that I had.
The whole thing took about 20 minutes but I think that you do have to
telephone the support line. It is a free hotfix. I explained the problem and
explained about this thread. They emailed me the link to the hotfix file
whilst I was on the telephone and I downloaded there and then.

The hotfix page does not mention the socket error 10013 but does talk about
Connection problems

I would suggest that anyone who has this Socket 10013 error looks up this
hotfix - that said some may not know that they have the socket error. I only
know because Mailwasher told me. Had I not been using mailwasher it would
have just appeared that my connection was going. That is probably why the
article is titled as it is.

Julian

My reply seems to have been embedded in the middle of this thread which is
not helpful.

[...]

Glad to hear that our suggestions helped you resolve the issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 02:14:53 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hi Ken,
| Thanks really very much.
| For me, KB937168 seems to have solved the problem.
| Since installing the hotfix, I could no longer reproduce the intermittant
| loss of (TCP) network connectivity.
| ICS was enabled on that machine, but I would never have traced the
problem
| to this.
| Again, thank you for this effort, Ken!
| Best regards
| mister.jones
|

| | > Hi Jones,
| >
| > Based on my deep research, this similar issue may occur because of a
bug
| > in
| > the WinSock bind() function. For more related information, please refer
| > to:
| >
| > 937168: After you configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows
Vista,
| > the network connection stops working after one-to-two hours
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937168/en-us
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >

| > --------------------
| > |
| > |
| > | So to summarize:
| > | - We are a bunch of people who have the same problem on different
| > hardware
| > | (Intel, AMD, Laptop).
| > | - Happens only under Vista, but not on all computers.
| > | - The main symptom seems to be a 10013 winsock error occuring
regularly,
| > | remaining for some hours or until reboot.
| > | - I can reproduce the error on one machine after a reboot by just
| > repeatedly
| > | (~100 times) hitting reload on any website in IE7. It seems not to
occur
| > in
| > | safe-mode, but perhaps I just did not try long enough.
| > |
| > | A response by someone from MS would be very much appreciated by all of
| > us.
| > | Thanks!
| > |
| > |