Losing netowork regularly

mister.jones

Hi there, I have a very strange problem with Vista's networking: From time
to time, it looses the ability to browse the internet for a period of
minutes to hours.
- Internet Explorer does not work (neither http, https, ftp)
- FireFox does not work
- Remote Desktop does not work.
- VNC viewer gives "Socket Error 10013" (Access denied)
- Diagnose/Repair does not help.

However,
- configuration is ok (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, ...)
- ping works (local and internet)
- nslookup works
- chat, p2p applications work
- LAN works

Usually, after 30min-2h the problem disappears.

Is this problem known to Microsoft? (It is certainly known to others, as I
found a similar description on the web.) Is there a solution?

Thanks,
mister.jones

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Are you using wireless?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
[...]

No.

Are you using wireless?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

[...]

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Jones,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, this is a strange issue. To verify if the issue is related
to TCP/IP component in Windows Vista, I will suggest you try the following
steps:

Important: Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These
problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at
your own risk.

1. Delete the following registry keys:
o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

Method 1:
o Click Start, click Run, type the following commands, and then press
ENTER:
REG DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
REG DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
Note: Type the first command, press ENTER, and then repeat this for the
next command. These commands work only for Windows 2000, Windows XP, and
Windows Vista.

Method 2:
a. Click Start, click Run, type Regedit , and then press ENTER.
b. Search for the following key strings, and then delete them:
o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\

2. Restart the computer.

3. Follow the steps to reinstall TCP/IP.

Reinstall TCP/IP
=================
1. Click Start , type cmd in the Start Search text box, and then press
ENTER.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
netsh int ip reset log.txt
o If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error message. Type
the command again.
o If the command runs successfully, a new command prompt appears.
3. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
netsh winsock reset
o If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error message. Type
the command again.
o If the command runs successfully, a new command prompt appears.
4. Type exit , and then press ENTER.
5. Restart the computer.

If the issue still occurs after reset TCP/IP, please help us confirm if the
issue also happens on other Windows Vista clients in the network.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 22:32:38 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| No.

-----
Newsbeitrag
| | Are you using wireless?
|
| Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
| Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
| http://www.ChicagoTech.net
| How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
| http://www.HowToNetworking.com

-------
| |

| Hi there, I have a very strange problem with Vista's networking: From time
| to time, it looses the ability to browse the internet for a period of
| minutes to hours.
| - Internet Explorer does not work (neither http, https, ftp)
| - FireFox does not work
| - Remote Desktop does not work.
| - VNC viewer gives "Socket Error 10013" (Access denied)
| - Diagnose/Repair does not help.
|
| However,
| - configuration is ok (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, ...)
| - ping works (local and internet)
| - nslookup works
| - chat, p2p applications work
| - LAN works
|
| Usually, after 30min-2h the problem disappears.
|
| Is this problem known to Microsoft? (It is certainly known to others, as I
| found a similar description on the web.) Is there a solution?
|
| Thanks,
| mister.jones

mister.jones

Hello Ken,
thanks for the instructions. However, there was one problem with the "netsh
winsock reset" command. It gave the following error: "The system cannot find
the file specified." (Same if I go into netsh, change to winsock and then
type reset. Command was typed correctly.)

Fortunately, I had backed up the winsock/winsock2 key before deleting,
because the computer had no network connection anymore when the "winsock
reset" command failed.
After restoring both winsock/winsock2 registry keys, "netsh winsock reset"
executed without problem. You should perhaps adapt your instructions.

I cannot say whether the problem still occurs. I will keep you updated
whether the computer still loses connection or not.

Best regards
mister.jones

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello Jones,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, this is a strange issue. To verify if the issue is related
[...]

rights.

--------------------
| From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 22:32:38 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| No.

-----
Newsbeitrag
| | Are you using wireless?
|
| Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
| Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
| http://www.ChicagoTech.net
| How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
| http://www.HowToNetworking.com

-------
| |

| Hi there, I have a very strange problem with Vista's networking: From
time
| to time, it looses the ability to browse the internet for a period of
| minutes to hours.
| - Internet Explorer does not work (neither http, https, ftp)
| - FireFox does not work
| - Remote Desktop does not work.
| - VNC viewer gives "Socket Error 10013" (Access denied)
| - Diagnose/Repair does not help.
|
| However,
| - configuration is ok (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, ...)
| - ping works (local and internet)
| - nslookup works
| - chat, p2p applications work
| - LAN works
|
| Usually, after 30min-2h the problem disappears.
|
| Is this problem known to Microsoft? (It is certainly known to others, as
| found a similar description on the web.) Is there a solution?
|
| Thanks,
| mister.jones

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Jones,

Thanks for your response.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

> [...]

| > 3. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
| > netsh winsock reset
| > o If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error message.
Type
| > the command again.
| > o If the command runs successfully, a new command prompt appears.
| > 4. Type exit , and then press ENTER.
| > 5. Restart the computer.
| >
| > If the issue still occurs after reset TCP/IP, please help us confirm if
| > the
| > issue also happens on other Windows Vista clients in the network.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

| > |
| > |

| > -----
| > Newsbeitrag
| > |
| > | Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
| > | Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
| > | http://www.ChicagoTech.net
| > | How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
| > | http://www.HowToNetworking.com
| > |
| > |
| > |

| > -------
| > | | > |
| > |
| > | Hi there, I have a very strange problem with Vista's networking: From
| > time
| > | to time, it looses the ability to browse the internet for a period of
| > | minutes to hours.
| > | - Internet Explorer does not work (neither http, https, ftp)
| > | - FireFox does not work
| > | - Remote Desktop does not work.
| > | - VNC viewer gives "Socket Error 10013" (Access denied)
| > | - Diagnose/Repair does not help.
| > |
| > | However,
| > | - configuration is ok (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, ...)
| > | - ping works (local and internet)
| > | - nslookup works
| > | - chat, p2p applications work
| > | - LAN works
| > |
| > | Usually, after 30min-2h the problem disappears.
| > |
| > | Is this problem known to Microsoft? (It is certainly known to others,
as
| > | found a similar description on the web.) Is there a solution?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |

> [...]

| > 3. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
| > netsh winsock reset
| > o If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error message.
Type
| > the command again.
| > o If the command runs successfully, a new command prompt appears.
| > 4. Type exit , and then press ENTER.
| > 5. Restart the computer.
| >
| > If the issue still occurs after reset TCP/IP, please help us confirm if
| > the
| > issue also happens on other Windows Vista clients in the network.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

| > |
| > |

| > -----
| > Newsbeitrag
| > |
| > | Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
| > | Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
| > | http://www.ChicagoTech.net
| > | How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
| > | http://www.HowToNetworking.com
| > |
| > |
| > |

| > -------
| > | | > |
| > |
| > | Hi there, I have a very strange problem with Vista's networking: From
| > time
| > | to time, it looses the ability to browse the internet for a period of
| > | minutes to hours.
| > | - Internet Explorer does not work (neither http, https, ftp)
| > | - FireFox does not work
| > | - Remote Desktop does not work.
| > | - VNC viewer gives "Socket Error 10013" (Access denied)
| > | - Diagnose/Repair does not help.
| > |
| > | However,
| > | - configuration is ok (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, ...)
| > | - ping works (local and internet)
| > | - nslookup works
| > | - chat, p2p applications work
| > | - LAN works
| > |
| > | Usually, after 30min-2h the problem disappears.
| > |
| > | Is this problem known to Microsoft? (It is certainly known to others,
as
| > | found a similar description on the web.) Is there a solution?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |

mister.jones

Hello!
There it happened again. Winsock reset did not work. No more connectivity
for IE, RDP, VNC, ... but ping is ok.
This is annoying. What can I do?
Best regards
mister.jones

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Jones,

Thanks for your response.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

--------------------
| From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 02:06:56 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hello Ken,
| thanks for the instructions. However, there was one problem with the
"netsh
| winsock reset" command. It gave the following error: "The system cannot
find
| the file specified." (Same if I go into netsh, change to winsock and
then
| type reset. Command was typed correctly.)
|
| Fortunately, I had backed up the winsock/winsock2 key before deleting,
| because the computer had no network connection anymore when the "winsock
| reset" command failed.
| After restoring both winsock/winsock2 registry keys, "netsh winsock
reset"
| executed without problem. You should perhaps adapt your instructions.
|
| I cannot say whether the problem still occurs. I will keep you updated
| whether the computer still loses connection or not.
|
| Best regards
| mister.jones

Newsbeitrag
> [...]
| > netsh winsock reset
| > o If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error message.
Type
| > the command again.
| > o If the command runs successfully, a new command prompt appears.
| > 4. Type exit , and then press ENTER.
| > 5. Restart the computer.
| >
| > If the issue still occurs after reset TCP/IP, please help us confirm
if
| > the
| > issue also happens on other Windows Vista clients in the network.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > |

| > -----
| > Newsbeitrag
| > |
| > | Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
| > | Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
| > | http://www.ChicagoTech.net
| > | How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
| > | http://www.HowToNetworking.com
| > |
| > |
| > |

| > -------
| > | | > |
| > |
| > | Hi there, I have a very strange problem with Vista's networking:
From
| > time
| > | to time, it looses the ability to browse the internet for a period
of
| > | minutes to hours.
| > | - Internet Explorer does not work (neither http, https, ftp)
| > | - FireFox does not work
| > | - Remote Desktop does not work.
| > | - VNC viewer gives "Socket Error 10013" (Access denied)
| > | - Diagnose/Repair does not help.
| > |
| > | However,
| > | - configuration is ok (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, ...)
| > | - ping works (local and internet)
| > | - nslookup works
| > | - chat, p2p applications work
| > | - LAN works
| > |
| > | Usually, after 30min-2h the problem disappears.
| > |
| > | Is this problem known to Microsoft? (It is certainly known to
others,
as
| > | found a similar description on the web.) Is there a solution?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |

I, too, am having this same problem. Ping, Outlook, and other internet
services work fine, but web browsers (both IE7 and Firefox) have no
connectivity. When trying a web page, I just get the "Web Page Found,
Waiting For Reply..." message and status bar. I do not get an "Unable to
load page.." error. Similar situation in Firefox.

Any solutions????

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| > 3. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
| > netsh winsock reset
| > o If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error message.
Type
| > the command again.
| > o If the command runs successfully, a new command prompt appears.
| > 4. Type exit , and then press ENTER.
| > 5. Restart the computer.
| >
| > If the issue still occurs after reset TCP/IP, please help us confirm if
| > the
| > issue also happens on other Windows Vista clients in the network.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

| > |
| > |

| > -----
| > Newsbeitrag
| > |
| > | Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
| > | Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
| > | http://www.ChicagoTech.net
| > | How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
| > | http://www.HowToNetworking.com
| > |
| > |
| > |

| > -------
| > | | > |
| > |
| > | Hi there, I have a very strange problem with Vista's networking: From
| > time
| > | to time, it looses the ability to browse the internet for a period of
| > | minutes to hours.
| > | - Internet Explorer does not work (neither http, https, ftp)
| > | - FireFox does not work
| > | - Remote Desktop does not work.
| > | - VNC viewer gives "Socket Error 10013" (Access denied)
| > | - Diagnose/Repair does not help.
| > |
| > | However,
| > | - configuration is ok (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, ...)
| > | - ping works (local and internet)
| > | - nslookup works
| > | - chat, p2p applications work
| > | - LAN works
| > |
| > | Usually, after 30min-2h the problem disappears.
| > |
| > | Is this problem known to Microsoft? (It is certainly known to others,
as
| > | found a similar description on the web.) Is there a solution?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |

|I've spent days looking for issues similar to mine...

While having no issues with computers seeing each other or access to the
internet, in the printing environment I'm in I have issues maintaining a
connection between the Software that prints our files. Often times it gives
me a winsock error code = 10053 and cuts my print.

At first I thought it was Mcafee Security Center....uninstalled it and was
working until I got it again.

So the question remains....is it a Vista Networking bug?

jc

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| > 3. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
| > netsh winsock reset
| > o If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error message.
Type
| > the command again.
| > o If the command runs successfully, a new command prompt appears.
| > 4. Type exit , and then press ENTER.
| > 5. Restart the computer.
| >
| > If the issue still occurs after reset TCP/IP, please help us confirm if
| > the
| > issue also happens on other Windows Vista clients in the network.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

| > |
| > |

| > -----
| > Newsbeitrag
| > |
| > | Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
| > | Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
| > | http://www.ChicagoTech.net
| > | How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
| > | http://www.HowToNetworking.com
| > |
| > |
| > |

| > -------
| > | | > |
| > |
| > | Hi there, I have a very strange problem with Vista's networking: From
| > time
| > | to time, it looses the ability to browse the internet for a period of
| > | minutes to hours.
| > | - Internet Explorer does not work (neither http, https, ftp)
| > | - FireFox does not work
| > | - Remote Desktop does not work.
| > | - VNC viewer gives "Socket Error 10013" (Access denied)
| > | - Diagnose/Repair does not help.
| > |
| > | However,
| > | - configuration is ok (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, ...)
| > | - ping works (local and internet)
| > | - nslookup works
| > | - chat, p2p applications work
| > | - LAN works
| > |
| > | Usually, after 30min-2h the problem disappears.
| > |
| > | Is this problem known to Microsoft? (It is certainly known to others,
as
| > | found a similar description on the web.) Is there a solution?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Jones,

Thanks for your response and I am sorry to hear that the issue reoccurs.

At this moment, please make sure the system has been cleaned without any
viruses. Also I suggest you repair Windows Vista as below:

1. Boot into Vista installation DVD
2. Choose your language settings and click Next
3. Click Repair your computer
4. Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up System
Recovery Options.
5. Click on Startup Repair

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 15:13:08 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hello!
| There it happened again. Winsock reset did not work. No more connectivity
| for IE, RDP, VNC, ... but ping is ok.
| This is annoying. What can I do?
| Best regards
| mister.jones
|

| | > Hi Jones,
| >
| > Thanks for your response.
| >
| > If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > ====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| > | Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 02:06:56 +0200
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > |
| > | Hello Ken,
| > | thanks for the instructions. However, there was one problem with the
| > "netsh
| > | winsock reset" command. It gave the following error: "The system
cannot
| > find
| > | the file specified." (Same if I go into netsh, change to winsock and
| > then
| > | type reset. Command was typed correctly.)
| > |
| > | Fortunately, I had backed up the winsock/winsock2 key before deleting,
| > | because the computer had no network connection anymore when the
"winsock
| > | reset" command failed.
| > | After restoring both winsock/winsock2 registry keys, "netsh winsock
| > reset"
| > | executed without problem. You should perhaps adapt your instructions.
| > |
| > | I cannot say whether the problem still occurs. I will keep you updated
| > | whether the computer still loses connection or not.
| > |
| > | Best regards
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |
| > Newsbeitrag

| > related
| > following

| > registry
These
| > Microsoft
| > registry
| > at

| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
| > the
XP,
| > and

| > press
| > Type
| > Type

| > if

| > so

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > | > | | > | > |
| > | > |
| > From
| > of
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > others,
| > as
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

mister.jones

Hi czpdx,
MSFT does not seem to have any clue about this problem. Perhaps we can find
some similarity to our situation.
What mainboard and network card do you use?
Here it is an ABit AB9Pro which has the problems. The board has two Realtek
8168 network adapters with the latest drivers (6.193) installed. No
firewalls installed, except Windows' own.
Regards
mister.jones

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Jones,

Thanks for your response.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

--------------------
| From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 02:06:56 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hello Ken,
| thanks for the instructions. However, there was one problem with the
"netsh
| winsock reset" command. It gave the following error: "The system cannot
find
| the file specified." (Same if I go into netsh, change to winsock and
then
| type reset. Command was typed correctly.)
|
| Fortunately, I had backed up the winsock/winsock2 key before deleting,
| because the computer had no network connection anymore when the
"winsock
| reset" command failed.
| After restoring both winsock/winsock2 registry keys, "netsh winsock
reset"
| executed without problem. You should perhaps adapt your instructions.
|
| I cannot say whether the problem still occurs. I will keep you updated
| whether the computer still loses connection or not.
|
| Best regards
| mister.jones

Newsbeitrag
> [...]
| > netsh winsock reset
| > o If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error message.
Type
| > the command again.
| > o If the command runs successfully, a new command prompt appears.
| > 4. Type exit , and then press ENTER.
| > 5. Restart the computer.
| >
| > If the issue still occurs after reset TCP/IP, please help us confirm
if
| > the
| > issue also happens on other Windows Vista clients in the network.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > |

| > -----
| > Newsbeitrag
| > |
| > | Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
| > | Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
| > | http://www.ChicagoTech.net
| > | How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
| > | http://www.HowToNetworking.com
| > |
| > |
| > |

| > -------
| > | | > |
| > |
| > | Hi there, I have a very strange problem with Vista's networking:
From
| > time
| > | to time, it looses the ability to browse the internet for a period
of
| > | minutes to hours.
| > | - Internet Explorer does not work (neither http, https, ftp)
| > | - FireFox does not work
| > | - Remote Desktop does not work.
| > | - VNC viewer gives "Socket Error 10013" (Access denied)
| > | - Diagnose/Repair does not help.
| > |
| > | However,
| > | - configuration is ok (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, ...)
| > | - ping works (local and internet)
| > | - nslookup works
| > | - chat, p2p applications work
| > | - LAN works
| > |
| > | Usually, after 30min-2h the problem disappears.
| > |
| > | Is this problem known to Microsoft? (It is certainly known to
others,
as
| > | found a similar description on the web.) Is there a solution?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |

mister.jones

Thanks, Ken.
No viruses etc.. Tried repair. To no avail.
This seems to be a bug that intermittently blocks (some but not all) new
outgoing connections.
E.g.: Existing RDP connections still work. Incoming RDP connections work.
New outgoing RDP connections are instantly rejected.

BTW, out of 5 Vista computers, we now have two with intermittent loss of
connectivity.
- One which does not recognize the "alternate configuration" in IP
properties after disconnecting and reconnecting to a network without DHCP.
(Ken, is there any news to this problem? We did not find a solution to this
in February.)
- One which has the above described problem.

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Jones,

Thanks for your response and I am sorry to hear that the issue reoccurs.

At this moment, please make sure the system has been cleaned without any
viruses. Also I suggest you repair Windows Vista as below:

1. Boot into Vista installation DVD
2. Choose your language settings and click Next
3. Click Repair your computer
4. Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up
System
Recovery Options.
5. Click on Startup Repair

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

--------------------
| From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 15:13:08 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hello!
| There it happened again. Winsock reset did not work. No more
connectivity
| for IE, RDP, VNC, ... but ping is ok.
| This is annoying. What can I do?
| Best regards
| mister.jones

Newsbeitrag
| | > Hi Jones,
| >
| > Thanks for your response.
| >
| > If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| > | Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 02:06:56 +0200
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > |
| > | Hello Ken,
| > | thanks for the instructions. However, there was one problem with the
| > "netsh
| > | winsock reset" command. It gave the following error: "The system
cannot
| > find
| > | the file specified." (Same if I go into netsh, change to winsock and
| > then
| > | type reset. Command was typed correctly.)
| > |
| > | Fortunately, I had backed up the winsock/winsock2 key before
deleting,
| > | because the computer had no network connection anymore when the
"winsock
| > | reset" command failed.
| > | After restoring both winsock/winsock2 registry keys, "netsh winsock
| > reset"
| > | executed without problem. You should perhaps adapt your
instructions.
| > |
| > | I cannot say whether the problem still occurs. I will keep you
updated
| > | whether the computer still loses connection or not.
| > |
| > | Best regards
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |
| > Newsbeitrag

| > related
| > following

| > registry
These
| > Microsoft
| > registry
| > at

| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
| > the
XP,
| > and

| > press
| > Type
| > Type

| > if

| > so

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > | > | | > | > |
| > | > |
| > From
| > of
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > others,
| > as
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Hi mister.jones / czpdx,

Has anyone come up with a solution for this issue? No matter what i try it
doesn't seem to work, i have a desktop with XP (working fine) and laptop with
Vista (used to know what the internet was, but now it looks as though i have
more of chance surfing actual waves than the internet). It definitely isn't
the router or modem because i tested both independent of each other; XP was
fine and Vista had no clue.

Thanks,
kegginman

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Jones,

Thanks for your response.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

--------------------
| From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 02:06:56 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hello Ken,
| thanks for the instructions. However, there was one problem with the
"netsh
| winsock reset" command. It gave the following error: "The system cannot
find
| the file specified." (Same if I go into netsh, change to winsock and
then
| type reset. Command was typed correctly.)
|
| Fortunately, I had backed up the winsock/winsock2 key before deleting,
| because the computer had no network connection anymore when the
"winsock
| reset" command failed.
| After restoring both winsock/winsock2 registry keys, "netsh winsock
reset"
| executed without problem. You should perhaps adapt your instructions.
|
| I cannot say whether the problem still occurs. I will keep you updated
| whether the computer still loses connection or not.
|
| Best regards
| mister.jones

Newsbeitrag
> [...]
| > netsh winsock reset
| > o If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error message.
Type
| > the command again.
| > o If the command runs successfully, a new command prompt appears.
| > 4. Type exit , and then press ENTER.
| > 5. Restart the computer.
| >
| > If the issue still occurs after reset TCP/IP, please help us confirm
if
| > the
| > issue also happens on other Windows Vista clients in the network.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > |

| > -----
| > Newsbeitrag
| > |
| > | Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
| > | Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
| > | http://www.ChicagoTech.net
| > | How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
| > | http://www.HowToNetworking.com
| > |
| > |
| > |

| > -------
| > | | > |
| > |
| > | Hi there, I have a very strange problem with Vista's networking:
From
| > time
| > | to time, it looses the ability to browse the internet for a period
of
| > | minutes to hours.
| > | - Internet Explorer does not work (neither http, https, ftp)
| > | - FireFox does not work
| > | - Remote Desktop does not work.
| > | - VNC viewer gives "Socket Error 10013" (Access denied)
| > | - Diagnose/Repair does not help.
| > |
| > | However,
| > | - configuration is ok (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, ...)
| > | - ping works (local and internet)
| > | - nslookup works
| > | - chat, p2p applications work
| > | - LAN works
| > |
| > | Usually, after 30min-2h the problem disappears.
| > |
| > | Is this problem known to Microsoft? (It is certainly known to
others,
as
| > | found a similar description on the web.) Is there a solution?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |

Folks,

If you're still experiencing this issue, then please try to diagnose the
connection after you lose it. Please indicate here exactly what the results
of the diagnostics are, and what repair options you're given.

mister.jones

Hi Kim,
There it is again. Vista's diagnosis and repair gives the following error:
"Communication with www.microsoft.com(207.46.193.254) is not possible."
And this repair option:
"Reset the adapter Local Area Connection"
(My own translations)

When I ping that server, I do not get a reply either. But any other server I
am pinging replies properly (e.g. www.microsoft.de).

After choosing the option to reset, I get the following report:
"Windows tried to resolve the problem, but the problem persists.
Communication with www.microsoft.com(207.46.193.254) is not possible."
And again the same repair option:
"Reset the adapter Local Area Connection"

The error I get from several programs is "10013: Permission denied", which
seems to be a winsock error.

This is really an annoying problem.

Best regards,
mister.jones

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

I'd like to thanks Jim. Hi Jones, have you checked Jim's suggestions?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 14:38:57 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Thanks, Ken.
| No viruses etc.. Tried repair. To no avail.
| This seems to be a bug that intermittently blocks (some but not all) new
| outgoing connections.
| E.g.: Existing RDP connections still work. Incoming RDP connections work.
| New outgoing RDP connections are instantly rejected.
|
| BTW, out of 5 Vista computers, we now have two with intermittent loss of
| connectivity.
| - One which does not recognize the "alternate configuration" in IP
| properties after disconnecting and reconnecting to a network without
DHCP.
| (Ken, is there any news to this problem? We did not find a solution to
this
| in February.)
| - One which has the above described problem.
|

| | > Hi Jones,
| >
| > Thanks for your response and I am sorry to hear that the issue reoccurs.
| >
| > At this moment, please make sure the system has been cleaned without any
| > viruses. Also I suggest you repair Windows Vista as below:
| >
| > 1. Boot into Vista installation DVD
| > 2. Choose your language settings and click Next
| > 3. Click Repair your computer
| > 4. Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up
| > System
| > Recovery Options.
| > 5. Click on Startup Repair
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > ====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Losing netowork regularly
| > | Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 15:13:08 +0200
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > |
| > | Hello!
| > | There it happened again. Winsock reset did not work. No more
| > connectivity
| > | for IE, RDP, VNC, ... but ping is ok.
| > | This is annoying. What can I do?
| > | Best regards
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > Newsbeitrag

| > so

| > cannot
| > | > |
| > deleting,
| > "winsock
| > instructions.
| > | > |
| > updated
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > These

| > press
| > for
| > XP,

| > message.
| > message.

| > confirm

| > newsreader
| > no

| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > | > | | > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > period
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

mister.jones

Yes, Ken, I have seen it. However, it is way off the problem.

From KB928233:
"Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers"
"In this scenario, Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address"
"The router or the other device does not support the DHCP BROADCAST flag"

None of these statements has anything to do with my problem.
As I stated earlier:
| > | > | > |

I think we have found out, that the problem is winsock related (Error 10013,
Access denied).
Does Microsoft not have any way to diagnose such problems?

Regards
mister.jones

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
I'd like to thanks Jim. Hi Jones, have you checked Jim's suggestions?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

Hi Mr Jones (and everyone else.)

I have the same socket 10013 error (recognised via Mailwasher but not caused
by it)

I run clean install Vista Ultimate,
ASUS A8V Motherboard
Same problems with connection in Firefox and IE

P2P connection still active both ways

Again it resolves after a period of time (or a reboot).

I have search the internet high and low and this is the nearest I have got
to a solution (or even something similar.

I am using a wireless connection.

The Winsock install - I had the same problems as you.

Is there a solution?

Julian

ALL ISP

Finally found someone else having this problem. I having been with this
trouble from March. Really annoying. Only recently can I find this thread by
google.

Ping works, but not any TCP connection, I found. This happens to me every 1
to 3 days. And it can recover after idling for a night.

My machine is a Thinkpad T60 with Vista Premium preinstalled.

I'll be watching this thread closely. Hope someone can come up with a
solution soon.