Windows cannot access \\Home-pc\c - Error Code 0x80070005

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Networking' started by SDC, May 4, 2009.

  1. SDC

    SDC Guest

    I just reinstalled Windows Vista HP on my desktop computer yesterday. I use a
    Cradlepoint MBR1000 router to access the internet and files on my laptop (and
    visa versa). The router is connected to the desktop via a CAT5 cable into the
    LAN port. A USB720 modem is connected to the router (provides internet access
    wirelessly).

    I have set up my desktop computer for file sharing and printer sharing. Up
    until I reinstalled Vista (for unrelated reasons), this all worked fine. Now,
    though it has ceased working. I have attempted to reset all the permissions
    to wide open -- EVERYONE to read, write and control files/folders -- on both
    computers. I have turned off the firewall thinking that was a barrier.
    Nothing has helped. I am now growing bald!

    When I attempt to access any drive/folder/file from the laptop that is on
    the desktop, I see this: Windows cannot access \\Home-pc\c - Check the
    spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network.
    To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

    So I did.

    And....I see: "c" is available but the user account that you are logged with
    was denied access. Windows cannot further diagnose the problem because
    network diagnostics does not know the user name and password required to
    connect to the shared folder.
    Make sure you have typed the path correctly and you have permission to
    access the shared folder. If you are trying to access the shared folder with
    a user name and password that is different from what you used to log on to
    this computer, ensure that you have entered them correctly. Click for more
    information about permissions.

    Error Code 0x80070005 - Access is Denied

    Upon the advice from a Cradlepoint tech, I tried to ping both computer IP's
    to see if the computers see each other. Both pings are successful - no
    timeouts.

    I have read the article over and over again at Microsoft
    (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx,) just so I could
    double and triple check my settings. Everything seems OK. But, something is
    wrong. Nothing is working.

    I am stuck.

    This should be so simple!!!

    Please....SOMEONE help me...

    Thank you!

    SDC, May 4, 2009

  2. It could be 3rd party security software. This post may help.

    hp connectionsAs far as the windows updates, it tells me "windows can't
    search for new updates errors found 80070005. " I can download updates such
    as vista SP1 but it ...
    www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=7202&sid=f113a96963e19ddf9cf3c0545a00dc44

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), May 4, 2009

  3. SDC

    SDC Guest

    Well....here's the deal. After pulling most of my hair out and staying up
    late, I have managed to solve my own problem -- so, to be nice to others, I
    am posting the solution that worked for me here.

    Even though I had sharing set up for Everyone (permissions) to read, write
    (full control) enabled...I failed to go under the security tab for each
    drive/folder that was being shared to make sure that the groups/users in that
    tab matched the same groups/users in the Sharing tab. Basically I had to
    change the security permissions to Everyone with full control (as I am the
    sole user of the computers/network here). Once that was done, I clicked
    Apply and OK....it's a long process if you are sharing a large HD because it
    changes the security properties on the whole drive (if you are sharing the
    whole drive -- which I am).

    After that was all done, VIOLA...I had computers talking to each other and
    the world was happy again.

    It would be so nice if Microsoft could make the network setup a tad quicker
    and easier. How about ONE tab that takes care of ALL the permissions and
    security for network setups - instead of checking 2 and 3 places??

    Novel idea.

    And, there's my solution.

    Enjoy.

    SDC, May 5, 2009
  4. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), May 6, 2009