Look what drove past my flat...

Reaction score
I took this photo a couple of months back, just noticed it whilst watching telly, legged it into my bedroom to find my camera, nearly broke a leg getting back on to the balcony, but just managed it!

illustrious.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow :D I'd love to see an aircraft carrier!

Reaction score
Ironic thing is I've actually been on her. Not served, but had to take a couple of items from the ship I was serving on at the time to her. The Flag deck is a long way up!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Awsome!! I bet when you see it in 'real life' is huge! :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That must have been pretty cool to have an explore :) I've had a nosey round a Type 42 destroyer, but this is almost unique :D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Oh yeah!!! I would love to have a nosey around her!! We went around a NZ Navy ship a few weeks back & I thought that was cool! You'd hardly even have seen her next to that baby.
Me, I love the Harrier jets, a wonder of beauty & efficiency, technology may have steamed on past in the last few years but nevertheless it revolutionised Naval history. Another British invention that changed the world ;).

Reaction score
Can you tell I'm bored today :)
Going through some of my old navy photos came across this one. Taken in 1986 in the South Atlantic. Testing the Seacat Missile System. The two "corrugated tubes" one on either side are Exocet Launchers.
Penelope_Seacat.jpg

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Wow! You don't see those got past your window every day ;)

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Wow!

Hey Jag, that's quite impressive!

Wouldn't fancy having to try parking that little baby!:D

Reaction score
I live down river of Greenwich were the big ships tie up on a storm buoy, the rest, destroyer size berth alongside HMS Belfast. It's not that uncommon to have warships and cruise liners go past :)

Reaction score
Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a ship love to sail on her.

Sorry had to put this in.:)

Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95.

US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

CND reply: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

CND reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!

US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS ENTERPRISE; WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

CND reply: This is a lighthouse. IT’S your call.:eek:

Reaction score
Yeah, seen that before, but still very funny!

Don't know if any of you recall HMS Jupiter hitting Tower Bridge in 1984 (IIRC?), but my brother was onboard her then! Cause quite a bit of damage to both ship and bridge. The funny thing was that they had to send a big tug to tow her back to Portsmouth!

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Hi ItsMe,

I think that has got to one of my favourite stories of all time, right alongside the Builder's insurance claim form (you must all know the one)!:D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
CITech said:
Hi ItsMe,

I think that has got to one of my favourite stories of all time, right alongside the Builder's insurance claim form (you must all know the one)!:D

I don't! :(

Do tell :D

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
New thread

Sexy Bex said:

I don't! :(

Do tell :D
Hi Bex, I've just put a new thread in the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS forum entitled "HUMOUR: Insurance Claim Forms" as I'm sure other people have got similar material.

Hope this was the right action, if not can someone point me in the right direction. No suggestions of long walk and short piers please!

I hope you enjoy it!

Cheers

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I sea the harrier on the deck :p

Yeah, The Harriers and the spitfires are my two favourite aircraft of all time!!! :D When we go to the Warbirds over Wanaka flying display next year those are the the ones I REALLY want to see!

Ask a Question