Looking into getting a new smartphone

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I'm with EE and currently have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, which I've had for the past two years. I've just signed on for a SIM only contract, but I'm toying with getting a new phone and selling my old one.

I could probably get around £80 cash from somewhere like Grainger Games, which I'd put towards the new phone. I liked the Note 3, but there are some aspects that I'm not keen on. The camera isn't great - it's pretty good in very bright conditions, but other than that it isn't fantastic. The stylus is useful, but to be honest I don't tend to use it at all nowadays. I like the size, so if I did get a new phone I'd probably stick with a big one (that's what she said ;) )

Would I get another Samsung Galaxy Note? Well probably not - their strong point seems to be the stylus, and given the fact I don't get much use out of it, it's not worth it.

I've been looking at the LG G4 because it's meant to have a good camera. It's currently available on Ebuyer for £290 which isn't bad, and after taking off what I'd get for selling my old phone the net cost would be about £210. Not bad.

In terms of other phones... I'm not sure. Ian hasn't really liked his Sony Z2, so I'd probably avoid Sony. All my friends seem to have moved away from Android back to Apple recently! There were certain things I liked about iPhones, but I really dislike the lack of options and how the handsets grind to a halt after a couple of years.

Has anyone here got a new phone recently? Any thoughts on which handsets might be worth a look?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The latest ifone has a lot of good tech going for it ... the only other contender for me is the Google phones.

I'll stick with my Nexus 5 for now, one does get the latest updates/fixes first, and I only have Google to contend with, not the phone company who I happen to use the sim from. :)

Everyone else is just on the bandwagon. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I love my Nexus 6P, but its didn't come cheap, great phone though. Or the 5X its little brother.

https://store.google.com/category/phones

How about something like the OnePlus Two? Good phones but beware their CS can be a bit hit and miss. Great value for money if you don't have have any issues that need you to send it back etc. But to be fair that is fairly low odds.

https://oneplus.net/uk/2

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
The latest ifone has a lot of good tech going for it ... the only other contender for me is the Google phones.

Yeah good point re iPhones. I was taking a look at them in store yesterday and the screens on the latest models are outstanding! Everything is very neat and fuss-free with iPhones, which I like, but I don't know whether I'd want to move away from Android. Plus there's the cost - given that I don't really need a new phone, I can't justify such a high cost.

Interesting that you both suggest Google phones. I don't know anyone with one, so I've never really had a play around with them. I think the Nexus 6P would be too much for me right now, but the Nexus 5X looks good.

What is the camera like on your 6P @V_R?

As an aside, just found out I could get the LG G4 for £225 from Vodafone... I'd need to unlock it, but it's a very good price!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I love the camera on the 6P! Its very good. The 5X has the same rear camera. :)

The 240fps slow mo recording is cool, though I've not properly used it yet.

The camera is your main concern in a new phone I take it? If so have a look at - http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles - They are the go to place for testing camera optics. :)

You still cant beat Samsung and Sony for camera quality imo. I just hate Samsungs bloated and slow Touchwiz with a passion and am not a fan of Sony's Xperia skin, though its miles better than Samsungs TW.

Oh that reminds me, The Moto X Style and Pure might be worth a look at - http://www.motorola.co.uk/home

Moto Maker is a great idea, I nearly had a Style over the 6P.

http://www.motorola.co.uk/moto-maker

:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The main reason I 'switched' to a Google phone was to eliminate bloat. I'm with O2, I don't have any O2/Android/Samsung duplicate 'Apps', as I did when I used a Samsung ... I just have Android/Google, which, for me being a Google fan-boy, is just the ticket. :lol:

I have used the camera on my Nexus 5 probably 3 times, in over 2years ... a camera on a phone, for me, is an oxymoron, I use a real camera if I'm taking pictures. It's a hobby for me, I have acquired a good camera bag of 'camera gear' including the £90 camera bag (second hand) :eek:

Bonus points are, you get Android updates first, some time months ahead of other Android 'phones'. If that's an upgrade to the OS, that's like getting a new phone. ;-)

Google are not adverse in finding the right phone manufacturer for the 'phone' they want, tailor made?

HTH :user:

oh, and just so you know, my next phone, due in July, will probably be the 6P. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Yeah Samsung is really bad for bloatware. There is loads of rubbish on my Note 3!

Just as I was doing some research into Google phones the decision has been taken out of my hands! The Vodafone deal for the LG G4 made it to the front of Hot UK Deals, and they were selling out like hot cakes. There was only one phone left in store - and it was at our local store. So Ian bought it for me :D

It's apparently ready to pick up, so fingers crossed we've actually got it and it hasn't sold us a phone that wasn't there.

I'm going to carry on my research though, and if I find something better before I've unpackaged everything then I'll take the LG G4 back.

Thanks so much for your input @muckshifter and @V_R! :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The G4 is a fine phone Bex, Near stock Android too! You should have Marshmallow if not now then very soon. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Well we tried to pick it up today but they didn't have it (surprise surprise). They are going to try and get it in, so fingers crossed we'll be picking it up next week...

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Update! So things didn't work out with getting the LG G4 from Vodafone, I knocked things on the head re getting a new phone. However, last week I decided that I definitely needed a better (portable) camera, so decided to go for a new phone.

I went for the Samsung Galaxy S7 in the end. It's fantastic! The camera is excellent, so I'm really pleased I made the change. Only downside I've found so far is getting a decent screen protector - it has a slight curve on the edges, and the tempered glass screen protectors stop short of the curve. So you would end up with ridges down either side of the screen, which isn't good. I've gone with an adhesive screen protector, which isn't ideal and it doesn't stick down on the edges, but given I have a case which protects the edges it should be fine. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a better option.

:dance:

Reaction score
Try explaining how a basic mobile works to an 83yr old!
I am to my Dad and it's not going well!:wall:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
S7 or the Edge?

As Mucks said, you don't really need a screen protector with the new GG4 screens, but I know some do like them for the peace of mind they give you. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I know I don't need one as such, but when my phone is in my handbag it's rattling around with my keys etc, so it would be prone to lots of little scratches. Using a screen protector means that when I sell the handset it's in a really good condition, so I tend to get a good price (that, plus I think the guy in Grainger Games fancies me :lol:).

S7 or the Edge?

Just the regular S7, not the Edge version.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah yes I forgot you'll be throwing it in a bag with keys and alike. Yeah, get a screen protector and/or one of those wallet/flip cases! :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
On the subject of phones and rather than start a new thread, I am now an EE customer.

My old Three unlimited data plan (along with all their AYCE plans) are being phased out and they wanted me to go from paying £12.90 to £20 a month.

Given that their network has been less than stellar recently I figured I'd just ship and try EE, number being ported over today to a special offer £20 (usually £35) tarrif with 16GB of data inc. tethering. That'll do me.

EE round here are night and day better than 3 it seems.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That's a pretty good deal you got there! I quite like EE. Recently they apparently changed their focus from sales targets to customer service targets, and it has made a big difference - the staff are super helpful and friendly now.

Re the S7... two words... GEAR. VR. :drool: Holy moly that thing is amazing!! :dance:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah it wasn't long ago they had a bit of a bad rep regarding CS. But credit to them they've been really good so far, the woman thats been dealing with me has even given me her email address in case I have any more issues! That's a first.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Wow, I'm impressed! I just wish we had a better signal with them where we are - it can be a bit flaky. We got a signal booster to try and help, but it's pretty temperamental unfortunately. Other than that, I'm pleased with the service we get from EE. It's worlds apart from our (brief) experience with Vodafone, that's for sure!

Ask a Question