Local Policy & Remote Desktop Connection

G

Our Network is composed of a Windows 2000 SBS Server and all Workstations are running Windows 2000 OS ...

Recently, we have purchased two workstations with Windows XP Professional and using a VPN connection, and then the Remote Desktop Connection the Windows XP Professional users can log to their Desktop with no problems when they are out-of-office ...

I have upgraded a couple of workstations from Windows 2000 to Windows XP Professional ... Then tried to log remotely using a VPN connection and access the upgraded workstions using Remote Desktop Connection, but I get the following message when I try to log to the workstation:

"The local policy does not permit you to logon interactively"

When I logged as a local Administrator to that specific workstation, I found that under Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy, Local Policies, User Rights Assignment, Log on Locally everything is set correctly in terms of the Users and Groups which are allowed to access this machine (Administrator / Users / Everyone ... etc.)

I have also checked the second workstation which I have upgraded to Windows XP Professional and the same problem presist ...

Also, I have used NTRights.exe to force the "Log on Locally", but no success ...

Kindly help me with that issue as I don't want to go through the route of clean installation of the Wondows XP Pro and all the applications ...

Thank you in advance for your cooperation ...

Reda Hanna

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Reda Hanna said:

Our Network is composed of a Windows 2000 SBS Server and all Workstations
are running Windows 2000 OS ...
Recently, we have purchased two workstations with Windows XP Professional
and using a VPN connection, and then the Remote Desktop Connection the
Windows XP Professional users can log to their Desktop with no problems when
they are out-of-office ...
I have upgraded a couple of workstations from Windows 2000 to Windows
XP Professional ... Then tried to log remotely using a VPN connection and
access the upgraded workstions using Remote Desktop Connection, but I get
the following message when I try to log to the workstation:
"The local policy does not permit you to logon interactively"

When I logged as a local Administrator to that specific workstation, I
found that under Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy, Local
Policies, User Rights Assignment, Log on Locally everything is set correctly
in terms of the Users and Groups which are allowed to access this machine
(Administrator / Users / Everyone ... etc.)
I have also checked the second workstation which I have upgraded to
Windows XP Professional and the same problem presist ...
Also, I have used NTRights.exe to force the "Log on Locally", but no success ...

Kindly help me with that issue as I don't want to go through the route of
clean installation of the Wondows XP Pro and all the applications ...
Thank you in advance for your cooperation ...

Reda Hanna

Remote Desktop sets up a session on the server, not the workstation. This is
where you need to allow local logons.

L

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Make sure the user accounts are set to allow 'terminal server logon' (don't
remember the exact name/tab where the checkbox lives) in ADUC on the SBS
server.

G

Pegasus,

As I have mentioned, the other two PCs that came with Windows XP Pro pre-installed didn't have a problem with Remote Desktop Connection ...

It is when I upgraded two Windows 2000 to Windows XP Pro that didn't allow RDC ...

The Local Policy on those upgraded PCs are preventing RDC and not the Server Local Policy ...

Hope you can give me more thoughts ... Thanks ...

Reda

G

Lanwench ...

It is under the "Terminal Services Profile" ... But it is already checked (Enabled) ...

As I have mentioned, the other two PCs that came with Windows XP Pro pre-installed didn't have a problem with Remote Desktop Connection ...

It is when I upgraded two Windows 2000 to Windows XP Pro that didn't allow RDC ...

The Local Policy on those upgraded PCs are preventing RDC and not the Server Local Policy ...

Hope you can give me more thoughts ... Thanks ...

Reda

Ask a Question