Linux or Windows ???

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you had a os totally stripped down and able to only ,

run Bionic,

connect to WCG for checking your account and send results etc ,

and nothing else . In other words a pc with a os 100% dedicated to Boinc . Then which would return the most points .

user.gif

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
So could you run os Windows in the day for your everyday stuff with Boinc in the background . An at night or when you've stopped playing could you then boot into a 64 bit stripped Linux running Boinc . Then boot back to os Windows in the morning etc etc etc . Would that be easy and bomb proof to set up and use ???

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, you could have a dual boot system. It's really quite easy to do.

Try using PC Linux OS 2007 or Ubuntu, they seem to be the most newb friendly Distros out there.

Both, btw, start life as 'Live' CD's, meaning you can run them from system memory without installing a thing.

This means you can try before you, er, install.

There's a thread on this here Forum somewhere where I set up a dual boot system for the sake of showing psd99.

But it's almost 2am and I can't be arsed looking for it :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi flops ta fer info . I have been reading up on linux and downloaded Gutsy Gibbon a couple of weeks ago but its only the i386 version . I'll download the 64-bit version and see if I can get it to dual boot on me new pc .

Will a normal instillation of Gutsy Gibbon return as many crunching points as a stripped down version or will the computing capability still be the same . I realise that stripping out all unecessary components will reduce the space needed to run the os just not sure if it will run faster .

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm afraid I know nothing of Gutsy Gibbon.

I'm not sure how a full version of a distro will compare to a lean version when crunching but I'd hazard a guess it's more a case of what applications are running in the background rather than what's installed.

So just disable any apps you don't need running.

The background apps thing is a lot less severe in most Linux distros than it is in XP & Vista, especially Vista.

Sorry can't offer any really solid advice I'm very much still a Linux newb and have never actually crunched within a Linux Distro.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Gutsy Gibbon is the latest Ubuntu 7.10 . Feisty Fawn was thew 7.04 version . They get a fresh release every 6 months and a new name . Linux is very very interesting .

nod.gif

Ask a Question