Resuming Human Proteome Folding 2 Soon

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm happy to announce that we will be resuming Human Proteome Folding 2 (HPF2) processing most likely some time this weekend. We have tested the new Rosetta code behind the scenes and the initial results have been validated by the researchers. Then next step is to launch it on the full grid to get a large enough set of results for the researchers to perform the final full-scale result validation. We think this will go well and we will be able to just continue running. The UD agent version happens to be ready first, so we will launch that shortly. The Boinc agent version is almost ready and just needs a little bit more work and testing. So we may launch it within a couple of weeks or perhaps earlier, depending on how everything goes behind the scenes. By the way, the results returned to date, from before the pause in the project, are valid and will be used by the researchers. Thank you to all of the members for your valuable contributions to this and the other projects!

Some of our more technically oriented members probably know about the result checking process we use. Essentially, each work unit is normally sent to more than one machine and we look for majority equality in the results before sending them on to the researchers. HPF2 is one of our projects that can make use of a statistical clustering scheme to find valid results from a large number of protein structure predictions. This method also permits the researchers to discard errant results. Therefore, for HPF2, we can have each member compute a unique result and this can accelerate the overall project by a factor of 3 or more. In other words, we don't need to run duplicate computations and thus can run more work through the grid in a given amount of time. The ultimate result validation burden remains with the researchers, as before. But we won't have to run as many work units through the grid. However, there will still be some preliminary checking of the results at our servers for UD and Boinc, to make sure the computations have not been obviously corrupted due to hardware errors or other problems. Members running Boinc will see that this scheme lets Boinc "validate" results sooner, thus awarding points sooner, while keeping the points assignment fair using a run duration normalization technique. If this approach works out well, we will implement it on other projects for which this scheme can be used. It will help take years off the time required to run massive projects such as HPF2.
More Here

:)

Reaction score
Hi. I would like to help on these projects as soon as I have my computer problems resolved. (Posted on another thread) Is it okay to sign up now? I checked the pc requirements and they are exceeded by my computer, once I have the issues fixed. Thank you for the information, I had no idea that computers were needed, and I am a biology major as well.
Cindy

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Great news Cindy - and welcome aboard!! :cool:

Out of interest are you using the standard WCG UD Client or BOINC?

Reaction score
Thank you, I am so glad to have found your website, and not just for the help. I'm using the UD client, because I do not know what BOINC is. The stats that the screen is giving me are all 100's, except for storage, where it's reading 0.98 GB for some reason. Probably because my computer is messed up and needs help right now, but I did allocate 10 GB to WCG in the profile.

I love the picture! (Gun and Kitty with paws up) I went back to school after being out for 26 years and am getting ready to graduate with my degree in biology, and go on to vet school. I love animals more than I have words for, and have always felt deeply connected to them. We have a holistic vet for our pets, she was born and did her homeopathic/holistic training (after getting her DVM), in England, and I plan on practicing homeopathic and holistic vet medicine as well. She is the best, we really love and trust her. I believe in treating the underlying cause of the problem, and treating the animal as a whole, rather than overprescribing conventional drugs, which is what conventionally trained doctors and veterinarians do. Enough of me and the soapbox I'm on, because I can go on and on about over vaccinating, food, etc. The picture is so great, I'd love to have a large copy to put in my practice, with the cute one in the fur coat getting the credit. Sorry you asked me a simple question aren't you?
Cindy

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The client won't update the new storage setting from your WCG profile until it reports the result you are currently completing ;)

I'm not sorry I asked at all - we have a few chatty folks on here, one in particular called cirianz can talk the hind legs off a donkey :D

We are a friendly and chatty bunch here, so you should fit right in!!

As this is a thread to do with crunching, it might be an idea to start a thread in the Introductions section so everyone can get to know you :thumb:

Edit: Just realised you have a AMD X2 3800, so to be able to use both cores and run two units at once you will have to use the BOINC client - once your PC is fit and well again I will help you install it :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Read your message and am still laughing, and will gladly accept your offer of help with BOINC. I just tried to post this reply and received a can not find server message, so I hope the 383 instances that Rootkit reveal found haven't discouraged everyone from trying to help.
Cyn

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
I'm not sorry I asked at all - we have a few chatty folks on here, one in particular called cirianz can talk the hind legs off a donkey :D

We are a friendly and chatty bunch here, so you should fit right in!!
[/i]

Who Me Ady :confused:

You know I'm the soul of silence :nod:

Infact I'm sure I'd be highly offended & give you a very long lecture on my position as the esscence of peace & quiet...
if I didn't have a voracious gossling to go & feed! :p

& if it wasn't true ;)

Ask a Question