Attention ALL Boinc Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Please carefully read the following announcement from WCG regarding a new system of Boinc Points calculation that will be introduced in the near future.

The jist of it is that anyone using any form of 'optimised client' will end up being penalised by having their points earned per unit cut by 50% - so please if anybody here is using the optimised boinc client, please stop now and download the latest recognised client from the WCG site.

The good news is that Linux users should see a nice increase in points earned :cool:
There have been many discussions in the forums about the way that points are awarded in BOINC. We have been reviewing them and in order to validate what the members have been observing and to collect better data, we sent out the same workunit 800 times.

The purpose of points is to award an equal number of points to different members for accomplishing the same amount of scientific work. By sending out 800 copies of the same workkunit we are able compare the points claimed by different computers for the same work.

We have been evaluating this data. There are two key observations that match what the members have found.

1) Linux earns fewer points per workunit then the other platforms.
2) About 5% of results claim points significantly in excess of the average for their platform.

In order to address issue #1 we have sent our findings to Dr David Anderson at BOINC. He said that they will be compiling the Linux agent in the 5.8 release with optimizations that are comparable to the optimizations used on the other platforms. This should allow the credit claimed by Linux to match the other platforms. This new version should be available with 6 weeks or so.

In order to address issue #2 we are going to implementing a new algorithim for awarding credit granted. In the new algorithim we will no longer automatically discard the high and low values during validation in order to compute the credit granted. Instead we will exclude any claimed credits that are statistical outliers and then average the remaining values. Additionally, in cases where the claimed credit is significantly higher then the granted credit, the member will only be awarded half of the granted credit. Finally, invalid results will only be granted half credit as well.

We are about to launch beta tests of new graphics for FightAIDS@Home and Help Defeat Cancer. During these beta tests we will be running the new algorithim for points awarded to ensure that they work correctly.
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=9545

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Ady, will make the switch now :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ars ols

So we are "cheaters" then ... :rolleyes:

As my Linux boxes have never had any "enhancements" I will leave them as is ... as for windows, time for a rest me thinks.

Can we go back to Find-a-Drug ... even re-do all the work again ... :(

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well i never bothered with the optimised client on my new rig, they dont make any difference....:)

Reaction score
It makes me wonder if this is just another way of admitting by them that they cant deal with the amount of returns they are recieving

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
ars ols

As my Linux boxes have never had any "enhancements" I will leave them as is ... as for windows, time for a rest me thinks.

Can we go back to Find-a-Drug ... even re-do all the work again ... :(
Mucks - they are not saying folks are cheating, they are equalising the anolamy where Linux users get less points per unit than windows users, and ensuring everyone gets a fair return for the work compared to everyone else.

One thing it will also hopefully do is make all the mud slingers STFU...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
One thing it will also hopefully do is make all the mud slingers STFU...
I do hope so, its starting to bore me a bit now..... :(

Reaction score
V_R said:
I do hope so, its starting to bore me a bit now..... :(

Well hitch up boy, BEEP BEEP, I am on your tail.....

BTW the new system looking at the beta units has yielded more points per unit that under the old system. So far based on 5 units.

I am runnig an Intel 805 o/c to 3.5 and an Intel 915 stock.

Will review tonight what the difference is on 15 units, but so far nothing to complain about.

muckshifter

Reaction score
OK, I will shut-up and sit in the corner ... where's the hat? :blush:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
And quite right too Mr Kevster - have an apple :D

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
ars ols

:(

Ok I have read the thread carefully [3hrs+] with regards to crunching, and to the best of my ability reading between the lines, it appears to contradict itself over and over again? My conclusion of the situation is quite obvious, the likes of the shyte stirrers at WCG [you all know who they are] seem to have accomplished their mission? I am of the opinion that we have been labelled "CHEATS" for using tweaks Etc: So that is an insult to myself and others who, are/were crunching at speed using our money [power] to find a cure at a faster rate for the dreaded BIG C Etc:
This reply refers in no way an insult and/or vindictive to anyone on this forum, as during my time spent here it has always been a respected place to/by myself and those I confide in?
I shall endeavor to crunch to the best of my ability; BUT will not keep changing back and forth to suite the likes of the aformentioned scum:mad:
If you all move to a more worthy site I shall be with you 100%.
my decision is this, I will change to the requested version as of now on ONE pc only not two> three, if in the future however it becomes apparent that the shyte stirrers at WCG are found out to be what they really are:rolleyes: full time crunching will resume.
wallbash.gif
And I thought they were MEN:rolleyes: with an ambition to conquer? How wrong can one be.....:confused:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hey itsme - don't let it get to you mate, to be honest if this leads to a level playing field for everyone regardless of OS's then I can see nothing wrong with it.

WCG is not calling anyone a cheat for using tweaks in the past - they just want to stop the constant bickering by certain unsavoury flamers by making it the same for everyone so they have nothing to argue about.

No-one is moving anywhere, so no need to worry :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
itsme,
... are you a little upset? :confused:

Hey! get off your horse and drink your milk ... :D

I been good, can I come out of the corner now. :)

Reaction score
Sheesh upset no; I have broader shoulders than that, it just pis##s me off when a little git gets his/her own way and brings every thing into disrepute:nod: , My horse is going to fast for me to get off Shyte I have spilt the bloody milk now:lol:

Get out of the corner you dull bugger your in a ROUND room:lol:

Is that more like ME:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Get out of the corner you dull bugger your in a ROUND room
ah, that would explain why I was going around in circles ... :thumb:

:p

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
ah, that would explain why I was going around in circles ... :thumb:

:p

Its forums and people like us that make it a GOOD place to be;) :thumb:
Cheers fellas/felines:D all of you:thumb:

Reaction score
Do i need to uninstall anything or just download & install the new boinc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question