LCD monitor - noise/hum ?

Reaction score
After years of reliable use my old CRT monitor died. So I bought a new LG 20 inch lcd:

1. The res/picture qulaity seems about same as my old CRT - I assume due to the following: a) I have res set at 1024x768 (the recommended 1680 x 1050 makes the font really small which I don't like); b) I am connected via VGA not DVI (no DVI slot on my computer). Does this seem right or is there another reason wht res is same as old CRT?

2. I found the screen a little bright so turned down the brightness setting from max (100) to around 75. When I did I found that the monitor produced an annoying hum/buzz (goes away when turn back to brightness max 100). Is this a defective monitor or do all LCDs do this?

3. Is it worth upgrading my video card to allow DVI connection (I assume this is how I would do it???) and buying a DVI cable to get higher res?

Thanks!

Specs:
XP SP3
http://ca.lge.com/en/products/model/detail/20inchlcdmonitors_w2052tqtf.jhtml

Reaction score
Is your PC close the the monitor?
As this could be causing the humming?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure what could be causing the humming problem, is it just a faint noise or something quite noticeable? I've got a 22" LG with brightness at 80% and it's silent :)

You can get better picture quality by changing the resolution to the recommended level, but increasing the font size in the control panel. :thumb:

Reaction score
I know on the older CRT's if you went too high on the refresh they used to squeal but as for LCD's hmmmm

Does it have an internal PSU?

Ask a Question