LCD Monitor advice

kristel

Blonde - But salvageable
Reaction score
Hi all - I hope you don't mind but I could really do with some advice and recommendations :)

My other half is getting me an LCD monitor for christmas because my old CRT is on its way out and is hurting my eyes a bit :(

I'd like something 17-19 inches, that is good for games as well as general office use, with a good max resolution too.

What are the sorts of things I should look out for in an LCD monitor? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Kristel! Long time no see :)

There are a couple of reads I'd recommend by Quad before you buy one, both have some interesting points in it:

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/article-5646.php - Philips 170S5FB LCD Monitor Review
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/article-4500.php - LCD vs CRT

You should be able to get a good 17" LCD for around £200.

The main points to look out for are:

Response time : 17ms is the best for now (required for games really)
Dead Pixels : Try to view the monitor you are going to buy to make sure there are no "dead pixels", there is a big debate about this on the forums, but the short story is some LCDs have a pixel that doesnt work - but the monitor is not classed as faulty.

Reaction score
Hey,

Dont know a huge amount about them, but i think the 19" ones are still really expensive. But a 17" LCD has a 17" viewable area, where as a 17" crt has about a 15ish inch viewable area. So if it was a 17" you had before then you will see more on a 17" LCD anyway. Dont think i explained that very well but i have a sore head so its the best i can do.

Also, look for the response time i think its called. Someone else here will tell you what is the time you should be looking for, but i reckon sub 15ms should be ok. Correct me if im wrong people.

Reaction score
Mine is 12ms and it is perfect for games. No blurring/ghosting.

Get a DVI input for better image quality if you can.

I have the LG L1730P - £275 delivered. You can get lower spec models that wil be fine.

kristel

Blonde - But salvageable
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice - and Hi Ian! Glad you remember me :)

I've just finished at uni and am currently working for myself on various projects so have been keeping busy ;)

Right - lets read on and then find my credit card ;)

Reaction score
try to get a 19inch thats much better than 17inch

DVI output is crystal clear too
take a note of the max resolution the screen can display
response time

and look out for the good makes such as Sony for definet. others include Linksys, Ilyama. okay so ur gona pay a lot for Sony, but they r the best no doubt abt that.

good luck on your search

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I wouldnt bother with paying a silly amount just for a badge that says Sony. And you have to remember 17" on a TFT monitor is more like 19" if it was a normal CRT monitor, 15" TFT is like 17" CRT. So a 17" TFT is big enough for anyone.

Them ones at Aria are some real bargains, thinking of getting one meself :). And dont worry about dead pixels, there are so many pixels on a TFT monitor that spotting a dead one is like trying to find a needle in a haystack ;).

Reaction score
due to the way TFT monitors are manufactures, you will find (im pretty sure) all 15" ones are 1024x768 and all 17" ones are 1280x1024.

As with dead pixels, mines bright pink. Can see it real easy on a dark background.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Man, pink sucks, that pretty harsh. The only 1 i've spotted on mine is white, and ya cant really notice it, even on a black background, only if your really looking for it.

Also, the response time on me mine is 25ms, and i havent noticed ghosting at all, and i've played alot of games on the bad boy, all the greats like Far Cry, Half Life 2, Doom 3 and UT2004 which all all extrememly fast pasted and very graphical. But maybe im just lucky ;).

Reaction score
i'll give it a few months, then get the thing swapped out, incresing my chances of a newer unit.

I DESPISE dead pixels... Funnily enough, ALL the cheaper ones i have bought for systems i build have not had any dead pixels, thats the generic ones. The ONE brand name one i use happens to be screwed.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Chris,

I hope you are not saying everyone should buy "Generic" stuff rather than "Branded" :D

Ask a Question