Windows XP Laptop Wont Boot.

Reaction score
Hey there guys, Im Ben Anthony Kiedis and im 25 and from Newcastle Upon Tyne. :)

Ive got a bit of a problem, my secondary laptop wont boot up after I cleaned the processor.
Its not a very popular laptop my friend gave it to me as a going away gift and im using it for browsing the internet and using it for instant messaging when im gaming.

Its some kind of EI System.
When i recieved it i started it up and all was well, I then took off the back panel and cleaned out the Processor for dust and the RAM Slot.

Now, im not a very good mechanic but the main fan comes on for about 5 seconds and then fades out into a silent death. I only cleaned the processor and the RAM.

Haha, has anyone got any suggestions... I dont really want to be IM'ing whilst im gaming on my nice laptop :p

Cheers Guys :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What do you mean by cleaned the processor and ram? :eek: If sounds as if you could have damaged one of the components, or perhaps not fitted it correctly. If you could explain exactly what you did and then that might shed some light on the issue :)

Reaction score
Well Ian, I ran them both under a tap. :p

Haha nah i just took them out gave them a good blow from all the dust, and then put them back in.

Ever since then.
Fail =[

Hehe =p
Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Goochington said:
Well Ian, I ran them both under a tap. :p

Haha nah i just took them out gave them a good blow from all the dust, and then put them back in.

Ever since then.
Fail =[

Hehe =p
Hope that helps.
Do you damage any of the pins on the CPU or not replace it properly?
Try reseating the CPU & also the RAM?
Oh & suggest being serious over this if you want help.:thumb:

Reaction score
Goochington said:
Okay sorry :(

How would I go about restting the CPU & RAM?
Take them out per doing it before & then replace them carefully!
The CPU should fit straight in when you replace it, do not try to force it in as this will damage it.
The RAM should be fitted in at a 45' degree angle & then clip into place.

If your into playing with laptops suggest a book like Upgrading & Repairing Laptops by Scott Mueller.
You may learn how to do the job properly!

Reaction score
Im fine with building Desktops and stuff like that. I thought that a Laptop would be the same principle. I dont force a CPU into place, Im aware different CPU's have different sockets :)

I supose Im just stupid :)

Thanks for your help, I still dont understand how to reset them though, i dont even get my BIOS Menu anymore.

Reaction score
You may have damaged the motherboard when taking out the CPU & RAM?
Is the CMOS battery still working & seated properly??

Reaction score
It all looks fine to me, How ever I've not a clue what CMOS is, something to do with a CPU im guessing though.

Thanks for your help so far mate (Y) :)

Reaction score
Goochington said:
It all looks fine to me, How ever I've not a clue what CMOS is, something to do with a CPU im guessing though.

Thanks for your help so far mate (Y) :)
The CMOS battery is a small round battery which should be on the motherboard it helps to keep the BIOS live!!!!

Try replacing the CPU carefully & RAM.

If you not confident at doing then get a book on doing it!!

But as it's an old laptop you will at least have learnt how not to do it!!!

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
If you didn't drain you hands from static electricity, you could have zapped on of the components. :wall: It's happened to me, when cleaning out my PC, the computer just started beeping then turned off. I removed one RAM and since then it's been working fine. This RAM did work before I cleaned out the PC.

Ask a Question