2 questions about laptops

Reaction score
ok, im thinking about getting a pentium m procecer going like at 2.0 ghz, any one know if that if pretty good? cuz pentium 4's on laptops only give u like 45 min of battery life and im like ok i odnt want that then cuz wats the point for a connected laptop all the time, so i was wondering if the m procceser is pretty good for gaming and simple programs, also about 1gb of RAM. and a really nice gfx card - the 1 and only 6800 go gfx card

2nd question... im getting either an alienware or a dell xps with this pentium m with 6800 go gfx card
whats better, the xps or alienware sentia, or dell 9300? all have m processor and amazing graphics and one gb RAM, so whats the best guys? are there any other ones like that also?

thx alot guys

tek

Reaction score
Both the alienware and dell xps laptops are very customizable so either one will be as good as you want it to be. The thing you have to look at then is the price, I haven't looked, but I think the xps might be cheaper than an alienware. The pentium m seires are pretty sweet processors, alot better power usage so you will get longer life out of them. If your going to be doing online gaming then you'll probably always be plugged into the mains so power won't be an issue. I like the looks of alienware laptops and they are an awesome company to deal with, as are dell uk. Whats your budget?

tek

Reaction score
Ok I've just taken a look at the alienware sentia and for about £1500 your not getting much bang for your buck. It might have a 2Ghz pentium m processor and 1GB of ram (not fast fsb either) but the graphics card options are limited to Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 Technology whicn won't cut it for a gaming system these days. Another thing to take into account is the size of the screen, its about 12.1" which doesn't give you much to work with.

Now onto the dell xps. If your not too bothered with support services and want more for your money you can start off by selecting 1 Year Next Business Day Support which will knock £176.25 from the price off the bat. The memory on this system is dd2 with a fsb of 533mhz where as the alienware is only 333mhz fsb. As standard the xps has a larger HDD at 60GB which should be fine if you burn large files to disk. The screen is also amazing, 17 inches of widescreen for watching movies and playing games on, much better than 12.1". The main thing to take note of though is the graphics card that comes with the xps, as standard (and its not upgradable so you have to use it) you get a NVIDIA® Geforce™ Go 6800 ULTRA with 256MB DDR video memory, suitable for all games you can think of. The main thing that bothers me with the xps is how expensive the memory is. To upgrade from 512 to 1024 it cost an extra £400. Now I'm not sure how much of a budget your on so you might be able to afford the 1024, but if not you might have to settle for the 512, which will be decent considering its top spec. For £1,921 your getting a the utlimate gaming laptop from dell, if thats too expensive then drop the ram down to 512 and pay £1,521 for the xps.

In truth, a gaming laptop is an expensive luxury. If you have £2000 to buy a gaming laptop you would get an extremely (no really, a ridiculously fast gaming rig) for the same price, self build. Anyways, I hope I helped.

Matt

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Well put and explained tek - have to agree I would go for the XPS if I had to make a choice.
One thing, just checked the Crucial website - you could buy an extra 512 Ram for £50, or 1024 for £90 for the XPS and upgrade it yourself, but that no doubt will invalidate the warrantee.
How do Dell justify asking £400???????

Reaction score
actually what do you guys think of the
Dell 9300 compared to the
Dell Xps Gen 2

if u do the customize thingy and choose about 2ghz and 2gb and 6800 Go for both of them do u think the 9300 would be the better deal? they both have an amazing 17" screens. so what do u guys think of the 9300 fully tricked out, probably and sweeter deal compared to the xps price wise.???

Reaction score
thx crazylegs but im actually looking at the pentium m cuz p4's only have like an hour of battery life while pentium m has like 3-5 hrs, kinda pointles for a laptop to be plugged in all the time ya know?

Reaction score
hey guys do you know of any other types of laptops that are pentium m just like the xps 2, and the dell 9300, and alienware, like those only but other bands, know of any?

Reaction score
if i were you ... i would get a £600 desktop computer and a cheap laptop from pcworld or sumwere :)

the £600 gaming pc would probably be better than most laptops at gaming anwyays :)

Reaction score
yeah gman, this laptop is supposed to last me 4-5 years, so the graphics card needs to be pretty good and i dont want a laptop that cant keep up with me in school, this is also mainly for school.

(2ghz pentium m is comparable with like a 3.6 ghz pentium 4) i know its weird
Processor/CPU:
Intel Pentium M Centrino 2.0GHz 533FSB 2mb Cache Dothan (THE FASTEST AVAILABLE)
Ram:
2GB dual channel DDR2 PC2-4200 533Mhz RAM (MAXIMUM AVAILABLE)
LCD/Display:
17" WUXGA(WIDE UXGA)(BEST DISPLAY ON THE MARKET!)
Video Card:
256MB Video ram NVIDIA 6800 (BEST ON THE MARKET)
Hard Drive:
HUGE 100GB Ultra ATA hard drive (LARGEST ON THE MARKET)
DVD+/-RW Drive:
8x CD AND DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability

well thats pretty much what im getting guys
oh ya i saw a 17" screen in person it FLIPPING HUGE! looks like a frikin miniture plasma screen or something! that thing kicks some serious BUTT!!!

Last edited:

tek

Reaction score
How much are you paying for that system and which company did you choose for the big purchase?

Reaction score
4 - 5 years! you'll be lucky lol

the 7800 is better than the 6800 ansd you didn't state weather it was a gt, ultra ... the cpu wont be to good for games either.... this laptop should be good just for school (laptops are bad at gaming! ) and is cheap ... then you can spend the money you saved on a desktop pc ;)

here's the laptop http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...khjcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&sku=439869

and TRUSR get a cheaper gaming pc on ebay or self build

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you cant get the 7800 in a laptop yet that i know of, the CPU will be able to handle most games this year, games released in a couple of years will probably work but on the lowest settings

Reaction score
i fought he was saying the best graphics ooverall.... dont worry lol...

to be honest the system he said will do fine, i'm just going keen as laptops cost sooo much more and your not getting as got hardware

Reaction score
i read somewhere that the pentium m produces a lot less heat so the 2.0ghz pentium m is camparable with like a 3.6ghz pentium 4. so i think itll be a kik butt of a laptop, also with frikin 2gb of RAM dang will that thing be fast as crap, and one of the best graphics card to add to that, i think its gonna be a great laptop dont u guys think?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the pentium m chips use hardly any power so they create hardly any heat, this also means the battery lasts longer, as for it being comparable to a 3.6Ghz P4 i doubt it but i dont know

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
No it won't be comparable to a 3.6Ghz p4 as Laptops are always the poor relation to a proper desktop pc...They are built for portability not performance...

Reaction score
Comparing a Centrino processor to a Pentium is like comparing AMD to intel.

Centrinos have a great architecure, so a low frequency Centrino will be comparable to a high frequency P4. At least i believe thats the case.

Oh, and DONT TOUCH CELERON!

Ask a Question