Keylogger Problem

Reaction score
EDIT: I know what I'm going to do, wiping everything, and starting anew.

Hello, this may seem repeated, but I need some help.

I believe I have a keylogger on my mom's computer, and she'll kill me(not really) if we need to get a new one.

I have this file ntoskrnl.exe (apparently exe is a keylogger) it never showed up before, now it is.

I'm not sure what it is, I'm scared, and I will admit to that:blush:. I've gotten in trouble for things I've accidentally done on this computer, and I've fixed them, but I really don't want to have to spend money to fix this. I really don't know what to do.

The story behind this is simple, in a way;
I play a game on the internet and I met someone, well, he asked for my MSN cause we live in different places, I'm in the US he is in NZ. So, that'd make it easier to talk to one another, I thought I could trust him.
Well, he sent me a few files, of a few different things, like his piano, which seemed weird, but whatever, ya know?
Well, we had a joint account together on the game, and next thing I know, once the membership ran out from that account, which only had 1 day left, he changed the password, he was never online on MSN anymore, and when I would get on the game, I'd be on a different account that he doesn't have, I added him, and he shows up as 'online' and I messaged him, asking if he was mad at me, which he had no reason too, at least thats what I thought. :mad:
Well... a few days later, my account was logged onto from his IP address, and I changed my password, while I was on another computer, and I just went back to my normal day stuff and would be on it (now, apparently a keylogger can see everything you type in plain text) Now the thing I don't get is, why could he be doing this, he just stopped talking to me one day after a few months, and that was it, and I thought everything was fine, until I logged into my account on the game and saw his IP ONCE AGAIN on the log in screen.

Anyone have any tips to get rid of this *insert swears here*

Anyone, please, help. I beg.
EDIT:
I have Windows XP
and AVG Anti-Virus scan software

Last edited:
Reaction score
After all that explaining you still havent told us what operating system you are using and the Antivirus you have installed

You need to scan with an AV first I think.....

You are better doing this in safemode. then come back let us know what it found

One way of getting round a key logger is to type a number of characters on a note pad file then using copy and paste with your mouse enter each letter number into the password field as you want it to be
The keylooger wil only pick up all the characters on the notpad file.

That should work when you reset your PW for MSN again. It will take a lot longer though but i'm sure you have learnt your lesson

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dread;
It's not even my MSN he has, it's pretty much everything it seems. Mainly he is just going after my game account password.
And I'm not 100% sure what you mean exactly by the notepad deal.
Sorry if I seem to be a burden.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
Keyloggers do exactly as described. They log information typed on ya k.board

If you type that information onto a notpad.

ie

id j 46 29d 'f 0909 784009 js;l 9ds0f=-= nm324n 'vcxlkk
97fo abnvho9oqpolfuhe

then create the password out of those characters by highlighting and copying them using your mouse as far as i'm aware keyboard loggers are not that clever to detect which letters/numbers you have used. However I could be wrong. I have been before on occasion :p

You beat me too it Ian :)

Reaction score
Be careful with which type of key logger it is some of them will log characters that have been added/taken away from the clipboard it all depends on the keylogger and how it is setup. Some of them take pictures every 2-3 minutes too. :)

Ask a Question