Java Virtual Machine

Reaction score
Although I run XP on my PC I do not have MS Java Virtual Machine loaded. Subsequently I encounter problems with some internet sites (error on page).

I have visited the MS site but cannot find any download to install MSJVM. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Dlofnep.:confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
That's because MS never had it ... they (MS) licensed the 'technology' from Sun Microsystems, there was a dispute and Sun told MS to stop using it ... Sun, in effect shot themselves in the foot :rolleyes:

In a settlement agreement reached in January 2001 to resolve a dispute over Microsoft's distribution of its Java implementation, Sun and Microsoft agreed to limit the duration of Microsoft's use of Sun's source code and compatibility test suites to support the MSJVM. Because some developers and enterprises have expressed concern about their ability to eliminate dependencies on the MSJVM in the time period originally provided, Sun and Microsoft have agreed to a longer period to permit a smooth transition from the MSJVM.

However, if you really need it, I do not and will not use it, you can get it here ...

Java Virtual Machine

Those sites that still use the MS version better change ... they've got till Sep 2004

Reaction score
Many thanks Muckshifter.

I would rather not install anything I don't have to but if java is not installed how do I (or you) get around the problem of 'Done, but with errors on page' where some information appears not to be displayed?

Dlofnep.

Reaction score
I have XP and don't have Java loaded and it hasn't really given me a problem except occassionally some sites use Java for link image rollovers and I can't navigate the site but it is very rare. Most chat rooms use Java though so you may need it if you want to chat. Hope this helps.

Nick

Reaction score
Java Visual Machine

Many thanks.

I don't use chat rooms - so i'll continue as I am - without JVM.

Dlofnep

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I just ignore the errors and usually don't bother with that site ... the site master needs to 'fix it' ... :D

Ask a Question