Is there any way to make WinXP Pro SP3 run 16 bit installers?

J

jeslookn

I have read and tried everything to get a few 16 bit installers to work on my computer. They worked on my computer when I had WinXP Home SP3, but not now that I have Pro they don't work. I have reinstalled the operating system a couple of times.

I don't get it. I am not getting any kind of error message. When I double click on the "setup.exe", I get an hourglass for a few seconds and then nothing. I open "Task Manager" and I see "wowexec.exe and "setup.exe" doing nothing. I had a computer with the same copy of WinXP Pro with SP3 on it that did run these 16 bit installers. It had an Abit KRA7 RAID motherboard with an AMD Athlon 1800+. Now I have a MSI motherboard and an AMD 3400+. My computer is completely updated from Windows Update and all drivers for hardware.

BTW, I just love the way Microsoft tells you to check versions of files by looking at the size and dates, but don't bother to tell you what they should be. Here is a link to the page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314106/ . Here is a list of the files they want you to check the versions of:
Ntio.sys
Ntdos.sys
Ntvdm.exe
Ntvdm.dll (Windows NT 3.1 only)
Redir.exe

Is there a real answer to this problem out there? Has anyone actually fixed this type of problem on their computer?

Jes

Ask a Question