Is my Netgear router suitable for fibre optic broadband?

Reaction score
How can I tell if my Netgear DG834GSP v.3 router is suitable for use with fibre optic broadband? My internet provider is Utility Warehouse, who I believe go through TalkTalk. I've been a basic phone line customer for a number of years but lately been having trouble getting online in the evenings. So I decided to upgrade to their "Ultra Broadband" fibre optic at "up to 38 Mbps download speed", which should be available to me in a couple of days. They said that I'd need a new router...but do I really?
Do I?
Thanks.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes you do, that is an ADSL router, you need a VDSL/Cable Router.

Are they not supplying you with the equipment?

Reaction score
It does annoy me how the providers push the term "fibre optic."

It is only Fibre to the Cabinet near your home. From the Cabinet it is copper to you home

"FTTC connections" (Fibre to the Cabinet)

Virgin media use that however use Coaxial cable buried underground which is far more reliable making it faster aswell.

"FTTH connections" (Fibre to the Home) Very, very fast and very expensive

And yes they usually supply you with a router as V_R mentioned

Reaction score
Thanks for replies.
Yes they sold me a new router for the cost of postage, but was just wondering if it really was needed. You never can tell with some companies these days if they are just trying to cash in on one's ignorance.
My present router fits like a small box of chocs between the top of my PC tower and the underside of my desk - the new one needs to be upright and I can't fathom where to put it - got a small personal room filled with my "stuff" and it's pretty cramped at the moment.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thanks for replies.
Yes they sold me a new router for the cost of postage, but was just wondering if it really was needed. You never can tell with some companies these days if they are just trying to cash in on one's ignorance.
My present router fits like a small box of chocs between the top of my PC tower and the underside of my desk - the new one needs to be upright and I can't fathom where to put it - got a small personal room filled with my "stuff" and it's pretty cramped at the moment.

Mount it on the wall?

Speaking of which, you will be sent a white modem too, so will need to find space for them both.

Ask a Question