Virgin Media to Launch Flagship 100Mb Broadband

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
UK's fastest broadband more than 24 times the average speed Expansion of 200Mb customer trial

LONDON, Feb 25, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Virgin Media, the UK's leading internet service provider, today announced it would begin the roll-out of a 100Mb broadband service, the fastest available commercial product in the UK, by the end of 2010. Virgin Media customers will be the first to get broadband speeds more than 24 times the average speed provided by other ISPs*. The new speed tier is designed for tech-savvy users who want the very best the internet has to offer, and will act as Virgin Media's flagship product in a strong portfolio of broadband speeds.

Virgin Media already leads the market for next generation broadband services in the UK and will have increased its top broadband tier from 20Mb to 100Mb in less than two years. By leveraging the technological superiority of its fibre optic cable network, the company has brought next generation internet speeds to 12.6 million homes throughout the country and is the only mass-market provider of ultrafast speeds in the UK. In addition, Virgin Media's cable network means it is able to deliver very close to advertised headline speeds, unlike its ADSL competitors**, or that claimed by other operators' embryonic investment in fibre."

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1395257&highlight=

I've been having some issues with my BT line recently, have been seriously considering Virgins 50mb service. This would be even better! :D

Attachments

• VirginMedia.jpg
    VirginMedia.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 581

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Virgin Media's cable network means it is able to deliver very close to advertised headline speeds, unlike its ADSL competitors**, or that claimed by other operators' embryonic investment in fibre.

That's a bit rich coming from Virgin, they've been doing that for years the hypocritical gits.

Ok, maybe their new service and technology will for once live up to their claims but I'm wondering whether they'll throttle it at peak times.

And how much will it cost I wonder?

I haven't ever heard anything good about Virgin's Broadband service although I'm happy with my Virgin pay monthly Sim card only arrangement for my mobile, they've been good.

And no matter what they're like they just have to be better than poxy BT :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My virgin broadband was throttled for the last 3 months and I could not get through to them that I had a speed issue, they just tested my line and said everything was ok and I wasn't being throttled..I was getting and I'm not joking here less than 56k dialup speeds..Less than I use to get over 10 years ago, which I thought was an absolute joke..

In the end last week I phoned customer support again and said my Broadband modem had died and all the lights had gone out, they told me to try different sockets and I said I already had and that the modem was dead..Only then did they agree to send me a new modem out.
Modem turned up within 3 days and after installing and then registering the modem for a new mac address so it would work, I got my full 10mb speed again..Funny that!!

I had to use dirty tricks like that to get a working connection that I already pay for..Virgin to me are a dirty word, and god help you if you download more than 10GB in a week, cause thats when the throttling starts and they will never admit to it..:mad:

100MB sounds great but I reckon download more than 20GB in a week and they'll cut you back to a 2mb connection speed, and you'll have to move heaven and earth to get it reinstated..
nod.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
In case it's of interest:-

Samknows CEO Alex Salter said: "What we're looking to measure in the forthcoming project is how this ISP performance will improve as consumers switch to services which are being advertised as significantly faster."
...........The study is scheduled to begin in April, and Ofcom and Samknows are seeking volunteers to have the performance of their internet connection monitored. The free hardware does not monitor traffic and those who participate are given online access to their own data so they can keep tabs themselves.

There are more details here
(My bold, not their's.)
Source: The Register; author: Chris Williams

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
I had to use dirty tricks like that to get a working connection that I already pay for..Virgin to me are a dirty word, and god help you if you download more than 10GB in a week, cause thats when the throttling starts and they will never admit to it..:mad:
Its well known that in some areas that VM are oversubscribed, hence packet loss and lower that normal speeds at peak time. It is a bit of a postcode lottery if you like.

But that only applies to their packages that are 20mb and below as they are on a different backend network. Their 50mb service is on a separate system, and reports of speed and pings are very good, at the moment. :)

Traffic management on VM is posted here. ;)

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

attachment.php

*Note there is nothing on the 50mb service.

Attachments

• VM_traffic_management.jpg
    VM_traffic_management.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 999

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
V_R said:
Its well known that in some areas that VM are oversubscribed, hence packet loss and lower that normal speeds at peak time. It is a bit of a postcode lottery if you like.

But that only applies to their packages that are 20mb and below as they are on a different backend network. Their 50mb service is on a separate system, and reports of speed and pings are very good, at the moment. :)

Traffic management on VM is posted here. ;)

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

attachment.php

*Note there is nothing on the 50mb service.

Yep I know all that..I only ever downloaded overnight and never in the day, always stuck to times outside there traffic management rota.

I have been with Vigin/NTL for over 10 years now..

Nothing to do with my postcode as had full speed connection for a long time up to the point they started throttling me, which incidentally was when I started using a particular HD movie download service..
To much of a coincidence in my eyes..

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hmmm. Well if that is the case i'd be using that loyalty as a bargaining tool. ;)

After i finally got my line sorted (after the 5th engineer vist) my line is back to full speed and performance. I really like Be though, pings of 15ms ingame and 7ms to bbc and with no DL limit or throttling of any kind. I just crave the uber fast DL speeds.... Oh well FttC wont be long. :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yep I'd stick with what you know VR if you don't have throttling limits then thats half the battle won right there..
nod.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No throttling on the 50mb service though. ;)

Reaction score
he 50meg service give minimum speeds of 4MB (not seen it drop below this really) and if you are lucky you will get upward of +6MB. Again it all depends on subscriptions in your area.

At £38pm its still a bit steep in comparison and the U/L speeds are a disgrace. I have no doubt though that will change with 100Mb services if they want to use it for streaming and what not which is what people will demand

Its incredibly fast almost sickening to see stuff fly in

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
VM will have to change the UL speeds BT's Infinity will be 40/10mb when its rolled out later this year.

Reaction score
I agree mate the U/L for 50meg, i've been told ranges from 200 to 250. Still very low in comparison to other European countries

Ask a Question