BT Total Broadband / Netgear Router Problem !!

Reaction score
Hi

Recently moved couple hundred miles, and organised BT Total Broadband Option 2 to be activated by 7th September. Installed my old equipment, basically a Netgear Router, microfilters in place,but have not been able to get the internet connection working at all. Telephone line is receiving / making calls ok.

I have gone into router and cannot see anything obviously wrong there, but wonder if there some setting I need to make considering I have changed packages - I have also gone into Internet options / connections - and apart from seeing dellnet / surfanytime in there as sources for dial-up if required, the computer thinks an internet connection is set -up . The router will give a message in set-up wizard, theat it cannot locate an ADSL service.

If I double click on internet icon on main scrreen it comes up with the blank page and DNS error ( tiscali comes up at the top of the screen, which was what happened with my old BT Service ( I guess affiliated with Tiscali ).

The "tick" light on router will flash orange for a couple of seconds if you reset it, and then goes out completely. The ASDL light wont come on at all- no matter what you try ! The cables have all been checked, and I had a Technician come out to check my set-up, and kep going on about connection sign-ins having to have an HG number in them. I called BT who said my sign in was purely my name @ BT.COM ( or btinternet.com), and that an HG number was not required - Total waste of £29.00 bringing that Guy in as he left having solved nothing, and was going to bring a spare router to check if that was the problem - and never showed up :(

BT initially said it was a server problem at their end, and then denied it several days later .... said then it was a line problem ... then havent said anymore since.

I'm now on my 4th week of trying to get connected - Is it possible the router may have develope a fault in transit - I'm really fed up with trying to determine if its my end or BT's end where the problem lies, and am getting incredibly frustrated with the whole thing.

Does anyone have any proper advice on what to do next - and does the router scenario sound familiar ?

Please help guys - I'm at my wits end on this :(

Cheers ( by the way - I'm sending all this on my works computer ! )

Si

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The username format for BTBroadband is (e-mail address removed), no password required.

To be honest i think you can actually use anything@btbroadband.com.

All I have is "(e-mail address removed)" on the Router side.

BT ISP Settings are as follows for the router.

VPI = 0
VCI = 38
Auth = Chap
Encap = VC MUX
Connection type = PPPoA

Well, that's what I have.

Have you tried to login under the @btbroadband.com domain?

Also trying loggin in using these test detail will norrow down the problem.

Login to ...
Username: bt_test@startup_domain
Password: anything you want.

If this connect it tells us that no hardware/config problem exists on your side.

Next connect to ...
Username: (e-mail address removed)
Password: anything you want.

This second set of test details will tell you if BT have you registered on the domain you are testing ie. btbroadband.com.

... and that is the best I can offer you. :thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks for the details

I have now bought a BT Voyager Router - same problem persists though.

BT are supposedly sending out an engineer, as they think its probably a wiring fault internally somewhere.

Will see what they manage to do and update this thread with any progress

Cheers

Si

Ask a Question