Windows XP Is it legal?

Reaction score
Just to go with the illegal software post that Ian made...

If a certain piece of software has multi-user license (licenced for 100 PC's)

Is it legal for the owner of the software to send the files over to a person via emal, then that person installed it on there PC?

The software has many licenses left on it, but about the emailing files bit?

PLEASE NOTE: I have not done this... I am just wandering if i can do this

Ian, Please close or delete this post if you do not think it is sutable

Thanks

KGB

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think so KGB - it depends what the software is. It is usually a 100 PC license "on-site". You'd have to check out the user license to be sure.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian is correct when he mentioned "on-site" which basically means in a single premises or Company. In your case it would be termed "Illegal" since it would not mean single entity whereas in case of a company it would be termed as single entity.

For those who may not know, Microsoft specifies that an operating system be installed only on one machine and even in the same premises you must get another license for it to be installed on a second machine.

In case of Application software like Microsoft Ofice XP a single user is allowed to install it on two machines, in my case I contacted Microsoft and the representative confirmed to me that the Office XP copy I bought, I am allowed to install it on my desktop as well as my laptop. Two users cannot use a single Microsoft application.

I hope this information is found useful by the members here.

Reaction score
i remember typing out a fair bit, 8 lines or so...

maybe the college novell login system messed up again, wouldnt be the first time it hapened when i tried to reply to a thread here

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I've actually studied the case of Microsoft as a monopoly in economics, and there's a slight 'loophole' of sorts which means that they are not in fact a monopoly. Despite this, I still feel that they charge far too much for their software, which is probably why so many people obtain illegal software (I'm not supporting it!)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It's just concerning the way monopolies are classed according to their behaviour (i.e. do they minimise costs, maximise profits, act competitively, etc...), very boring stuff!

Ask a Question