iPhone 5 (or 'New iPhone') - Now Released + Reviews Thread

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So, what are we thinking then folks? Rumours are starting to come thick and fast with supposed leaks and all sorts....

What would you like to see in the new iPhone?

For me it would be a bigger screen and a better battery. I'd also like to see NFC, a better camera, and even though i know it will never happen a SD slot of some kind would be nice. :p

Heres a few bits i've see so far.....

iPhone 5 release date looms, networks stock up on nano-SIMs

The iPhone 5 is so close now that phone networks are stocking up on a new type of SIM card unique to the hotly-anticipated next Apple phone.

The iPhone 5 -- or new iPhone, or whatever it's called -- is set to be the first to use nano-SIM cards. Nano-SIMs are a new format of SIM card, even smaller than the micro-SIM cards employed in the current iPhone 4S.

The Financial Times reports that networks in Europe are stockpiling the new SIM cards, which are 40 per cent smaller than the micro-SIM cards first appearing in the iPad in 2010.

The nano-SIM measures 12.3 by 8.8mm and trims off most of the plastic surrounding the chip, which holds your phone number and associates the phone with your personage.
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/iphone-5-release-date-looms-networks-stock-up-on-nano-sims-50008632/

Upcoming iOS 6 is scalable to taller, 640 x 1136 iPhone display, shows possible next-generation device user-interface

With the next-generation iPhone’s announcement and release approaching for next month, one of the most present rumors is a larger, nearly-four inch display. A larger iPhone display has always been at the top of many iPhone user wish-lists, and it appears that the next iPhone will fulfill that.

Back in mid-May, we reported that the next-generation iPhone would feature a taller display that comes in at 3.999 inches with a diagonal resolution of 640 x 1136. At this resolution, Apple would be keeping the horizontal length of the iPhone display, and only increasing the height.

This taller display information was soon affirmed when we posted the first photos of purported next-generation iPhone parts. These parts demonstrated this taller screen with the same horizontal length. We soon heard from sources that a few of the next-generation iPhones in testing within Apple feature a display that matches the parts.

These next-generation iPhones with taller displays feature a home screen that scales to five rows of icons, according to sources. The current 3.5-inch iPhone displays feature four rows of icons. The user-interfaces of Apple’s included applications were also said to be tweaked to take advantage of the taller screen area.

Today, we have found more proof that Apple is at least testing next-generation iPhone displays that are taller. In fact, iOS 6 is completely scaleable to a taller display.
http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/07/upcom...ssible-next-generation-device-user-interface/

Next Generation iPhone Enclosure Measured at 7.6 mm Thick

Apple.pro posts scans of a story that first appeared in Chinese-language newspaper Apple Daily. That publication obtained one of the many "iPhone 5" enclosures that have been available over the past few weeks and took measurements of them.

The iPhone 4S measures 9.3mm in depth, so a 7.6mm thin phone would represent an 18% reduction in thickness. The width of the new iPhone is expected to be about the same as the iPhone 4S, but the height will increase in order to fit a 4" diagonal screen.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/07/next-generation-iphone-enclosure-measured-at-7-6-mm-thick/

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
One thing i'm not so keen on, as i have various docks and cables around the house for my iP4S, is the new smaller dock connector that keeps getting mentioned...

8kpPO.jpg
We’ve been hearing that Apple was going to be changing the iPhone’s dock connector since February of this year. Not only has the change been confirmed by a number of news outlets, but we’ve seen several leaked next-gen iPhone parts with the smaller charging port.
Along with its new smartphone, Apple is also expected to be using the new port in its iPad mini, which is rumored to debut this fall. But apparently it’s not stopping there. iMore has learned that Apple is rolling out the smaller dock connector across its entire iOS line…
Rene Ritchie of iMore reports:
“iMore has learned that Apple intends to update their entire lineup of iOS device products to support the new miniaturized Dock connector, and to do it as early the rumored September 12 special event this fall. This would include the new iPhone 5, the new iPod nano and iPod touch, the rumored 7-inch iPad mini, and an updated version of the current 9.7-inch iPad…
…Apparently, Apple believes consistent Dock connectors across the line, and other improvements they’re able to make to the new iPad this point, are more important than sticking to yearly release schedules, with a 16 month gap between iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, and no substantive iPod touch updates for 23 months and counting.”
So maybe the reports that have been calling for a retooled third-generation iPad this fall might not be so crazy after all. We’ve been hearing whispers that Apple was looking to slim down the tablet, and fix the heat problem, so it would only make sense to add the new dock connector as well.
But other than that, there’s nothing too surprising about iMore’s report. Of course Apple would want to use the smaller dock connector in the new iPod touch and nano models, why wouldn’t it?
Rene Ritchie’s sources have been top-notch over the last 6 months, correctly giving him the iPad event date, as well as the September 12 iPhone event date, which has since been confirmed by several publications.
It looks like all of our iOS accessories are about to become obsolete. But hey, at least Apple will be providing us with an adapter.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/08/06/apple-smaller-dock-connector/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I quite like the current iPhone size, but it does seem that I'm in the minority as all the other phones seem to be going for a larger screen.

A mini-USB connection would be a big time saver, as all my other devices use this and it's a real pain to have another iPhone specific connector. I hope the adaptors for docks are cheap, as I bet they'll make a tidy sum by changing the interface.

One thing i'm not so keen on as i have verious dicks and cables around the house for my iP4S is the new smaller dock connector that keeps getting mentioned...

I wouldn't plug one of those in to your phone, V_R ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok, so i've just read this and have now changed my mind about the dock connector. :cool:

Full on image of the next iPhone dock connector suggests MagSafe functionality

LVRYt.jpg

Both big media and bloggers agree that with the next iPhone release come this September, Apple is going to debut a brand new dock connector to replace the aging 30-pin thing present on existing devices. The company will allegedly deploy the new dock connector across all future iOS devices.
Built with space in mind, the new connector was originally said to have 19 pins or fewer. A new report surfaced today sporting a crisp shot of the new dock connector with a metal ring inside the casing cutout, suggesting an exciting possibility: that the cable could attach magnetically, just like the MagSafe connector for Apple’s notebooks…
NowhereElse, a French blog, has the story (human-translated from French):
One of the two other pictures we were sent in high resolution shows us that the new dock connector that should be on the iPhone 5 seems even smaller than what we thought, even tiny compared with the current dock connector.
This shot is the first to show a metal ring around the connecting dock integrated to the frame of the phone […]. Does this confirm the MagSafe dock connector?
The big question pertains to the number of pins this purported connector might have.
It was first reported that the new dock connector will carry 19 pins inside it, but that may not be the case after all.
iLounge was first to claim that Apple’s smaller dock connector may have fewer pins than originally thought. 9to5Mac followed up, digging through the fourth beta of iOS 6 to discover “9Pin” mentions that suggest something along the lines of a 9-pin connector.
What do you guys think, how many pins will the new connector have?
And is Apple going to market it as MagSafe?
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/0...rported-iphone-5-magsafe-like-dock-connector/

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I find it quite amusing the debates & discussions on how many pins the new docking / phone is going to have.

I found a diagram ...

:lol:

Attachments

• 300px-ISS_configuration_2011-05_en.svg.png
    300px-ISS_configuration_2011-05_en.svg.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,236

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What would I like to see in the new I-Phone?

Dunno, really, cos I can't afford one, lol

But.... Replaceable battery and SD slot would be obvious choices but it ain't gonna happen is it?

That's because Apple suck on style kiddies like high tech vampires and prey on sad fashion addicts and leech their cash.

I may still get a used 3g I-Phone though cos despite all my bile above I do actually quite like them, they are a good and easy phone to use, truth be told.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
iMore, which was the first source to claim that Apple will be holding its media event to introduce the next-generation iPhone on September 12, now reports that pre-orders for the device will begin on that same date ahead of the already-rumored first wave of launches on September 21.

Apple's first launch wave typically includes the United States and perhaps a half dozen other countries, and iMore notes that the second wave of launches that will bring the device to additional countries is scheduled for the first week of October.We've since learned that iPhone 5 pre-orders are currently planned to begin that same day, at least in the U.S. Release is still planned for 9 days later, on September 21, 2012. We've also learned that the second wave of iPhone launches, the ones in international markets, will begin in the first week of October, likely October 5.
The report notes that this sequence of events will be similar but not identical to last year's, which saw the iPhone 4S introduced on October 4 and pre-orders begin three days later on October 7. The iPhone launched in the United States and six other countries on October 14, with the second wave bringing the device to over 20 additional countries two weeks later
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/13/pre-orders-for-next-generation-iphone-to-begin-september-12/

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Photos of purported next-gen iPhone’s thinner, higher capacity battery: 3.8V, 1440 mAh

J31e4.png

As the launch of the next iPhone approaches, lots of parts have been leaking out and we’ve been able to put the pieces together almost like a reverse iFixit teardown. Over the course of the past couple of weeks, we’ve seen internal components and LCD parts making their way into the hands of iOS device parts suppliers. The most notable part leaks this year were the back plates of the new iPhone. We posted the first photos of these in May. Those new parts revealed an all-new thinner enclosure, metal design, smaller dock connector, and various other next-generation iPhone attributes.

Today, a reliable parts source (via 9to5Mac contributor Sonny Dickson) sent us images of new iPhone battery packs that they received. Notably, these new battery packs sport a higher capacity than the packs in previous generations of Apple’s smartphone. This new battery features a capacity of 1440 mAh. That is up from the capacity of 1430 mAh on the iPhone 4S and up from 1420 mAh on the iPhone 4, according to iPhone repair shop iFixYouri, whom examined the battery photos.
Read more at http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/09/photo...ty-battery-3-8v-1440-mah/#l4zPtygGvHReFks6.99

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
:D :D :D

I've often wondered why females post so many pix of food on Facebook :confused:

Not once have I seen a male do that thing.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
etYdu.jpg

Apple just issued invites for its long-anticipated media event related to the next iPhone and scheduled to take place on next Wednesday, September 12, at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts at 10:00 am.
As has increasingly been the case, the confirmation comes via The Loop’s Jim Dalrymple whose strong track record of accurate Apple reporting has made him an unofficial mouthpiece for the company…
John Paczkowski of AllThingsD, a Wall Street Journal-operated blog, has confirmed the information as well.
Of note, Apple also used San Francisco’s Yerba Buena Center for the Arts to launch all three iPad models.
The next iPhone arrives at a time when jumbo-sized Android devices continue to gobble up market share everywhere, brutally killing all competition and slowing down Apple’s growth.
Also important, an analyst estimated today that the iPhone 4S is no longer America’s best-selling handset as the Galaxy S III has beaten Apple’s device in August across three major U.S. carriers (except for AT&T), which is a first for Apple since the original iPhone hit the market five years ago.
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/09/04/apple-invites-september-1/

Anyone notice the shadow in that graphic? ;)

Exciting! :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Ooooooh if that isn't confirmation I don't know what is! :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The Russians do not seem too keen on the iPhone.

attachment.php

:lol:

Attachments

• 2012-09-06-195751_656x705_scrot.png
    2012-09-06-195751_656x705_scrot.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 774
Reaction score
I personally would like to see the new iPhone have a larger screen and better battery life, and the ability to FaceTime over 3G rather than having to use a Wifi connection.

Ask a Question