Install Program

George Schneider

I've figured out how to siliently install JRE by running the executable with
/s and it installs without user intervention. Is there a way to to put this
in a btach file or script so I can deploy via group policy if so how?

I've also created a registry change I need by creating a a reg file with the
change to the key I need. Can I execute this through a script so I can
deploy to all users who need it?

I have a third progrm that I I can install using the executable name and
/s. Unfortuantly at the end of the silent install a box pops up saying the
program was installed successfuly. If you click ok it goes away. Is there
a way to click ok other than clicking it manually. I want to want to install
silently but with this box the user will still have to click ok even thought
the install completed successfuly.

Meinolf Weber

Hello George,

For JRE create a startup script like JRE.bat, also at that location store
your .exe file. The JRE.bat has to include only the path to the .exe with
the switches you need for the quiet install.

For the reg key you can run a batch like:
regedit /s <filename>.reg

For the 3rd program, do you have checked the .exe /? for more options? Otherwies
i would check the vendors website.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Morgan che

Dear George,

Thanks for posting here.

After evaluating your post, my understanding is that you want suggestions
for the following 3 issues:

1. How to deploy a software (JRE) via Group Policy, which supports silent
installation?
2. Can we use a script to modify registry?
3. How to remove the "installed successfully" dialogue?

If there is any misunderstanding, please advise!

Analysis & Suggestion:
===========

1. We can use Group Policy to deploy software. But the most important thing
is that we have .MSI JRE installation package. If the manufacturer can
provide a JRE MSI package, we can deploy JRE by using Group Policy -
Computer Configuration\Software Settings\Software Installation( or Group
Policy - User Configuration\Software Settings\Software Installation).

In this scenario, you have already tested that JRE supports silent
installation. If this is the case, it's better to deploy it by using Group
Policy->Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts (Startup/Shutdown).
About how to create script to finish installation, please refer to this:

How to create scripts to install a software:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/guide/sas_cpm_gnbr.mspx?mfr=tr
ue

2. We can also use a script to modify registry. For more about how to
modify registry via script, please refer to the following document:

How to use the Windows Script Host to read, write, and delete registry keys
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244675/en-us

3. As for this issue, the pop-up dialog should be prompted by the
application itself, and we cannot control such 3rd party application
behavior on the operating system side. So I would suggest that you look up
the help documents of the target software, or contact the software-provider
to get more information. I hope they can provide a specific package which
supports completely silent installation.

Also, as the dialog is harmless, I think can also simply ignore it, if the
software manufacturer cannot provide such a version.

I hope this helps. If there is anything unclear, please feel free to let me
know.

Have a nice day!

Regards

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support

--->From: =?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?=
<[email protected]>
--->Subject: Install Program
--->Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:13:00 -0800
--->Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
--->
[...]

How are you?

May I know if this issue has been solved? If not, please reply in this
newsgroup. I am glad to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support