Index.dat

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get free dos based software to delete Index.dat on Windows? I know I will need to clear browser history, cookies and temp internet files and that new search history will of course be kept going forward. Thanks a lot!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
You can use something like Privacy Mantra to deleteIndex.dat files. But the big question is why would you want to delete them ?

Reaction score
Respectfully, I think the question is, why would you care if I do not want Microsoft (Big Brother) watching my every move? I like a clean computer. Thank You.

Reaction score
If your so paranoid about big brother then switch to linux & open source software!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which OS are you using?

I'm not aware of an app to do this from the command prompt - is that an essential requirement? If you boot to the command prompt before Windows starts then you can probably do it that way, as the file won't be locked. If you can do that (depends on your OS on how to do this), then running "index.dat /s" from the drive root will remove EVERY index.dat file on your system. Just be aware of that, as every filename that matches that will disappear.

Using something like CCleaner is a much easier way of doing it if you're fine with a Windows application.

Ask a Question