Windows XP Increase Priority & Increase Performance

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Manage your memory for more speed.

Every application that’s launched in Windows XP is allocated a certain amount of memory by your operating system. When you look at the Processes tab in Windows Task Manager (WTM) the Memory Usage for each item will be displayed. For instance open Outlook Express, look for it in the list and you’ll see that ‘msimn.exe’ is using up to about 10Mb of memory.

What’s great about WTM is that you can change the priority that XP has given it and increase or decrease the resource allocated. For example, if you’re trying to watch a video clip in Media Player and the picture is somewhat jerky then you can give it a boost.

Under the Processes tab in WTM right-click on ‘wmplayer.exe’, choose Set Priority and increase the priority to ‘AboveNormal’. Even this slight increase will make a significant difference to playback. You could try higher settings but the resources you allocate to WMP will be taken from another active process or application. Therefore, with too high an increase you may see a detrimental effect elsewhere on your system.

As always, back-up your system or make a restore point before making any major changes. I will not be held responsible for any mess-up. :roll:

Enjoy!
Mucks. B)

Reaction score
This shouldn't hurt your system nor would it require a backup of anything. Normally, this should be a temporary solution, and everything should be on normal most of the time. However, I highly reccomend you DON'T use realtime as it'll slow everything else down dramatically to the point that your system will be unusable.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Want this added to the guides section? :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Eric ... its in "Standing Orders"
As always, back-up your system or make a restore point before making any major changes. I will not be held responsible for any mess-up.

Ian ... if you like. :)

Ask a Question