Inability to Browse HTTP:// Sites - XP PRO SP1

G

Hello, I hope some of you can help me with this problem ?
Otherwise maybe you can offer suggestions or point me in the right direction.

I have Windows XP PRO SP1 on a Compaq Desktop currently setup as a stand alone computer, connected to the Internet via DSL with Static IP and a Gateway that has a built-in Router for an additional 4 Machines to connect to the internet through this one. The Network has NOT been implemented yet. I can connect to the internet "always on" with DSL or Dial-up with no problem.

Once connected (DSL or Dial-up) I can use every Service EXCEPT the Browser (HTTP:// or HTTPS://). I get the error message: "The page cannot be displayed" or "System Timed Out trying to find Server".

The DNS resolution works perfectly well together with all other services, especially email POP3, SMTP, News, Ftp, Telnet and Ping to name a few, weather I use the Site Domain Name or its IP address.

Even the Tardis application for Atomic Clock synchronization works fine.
AIM and MS Messenger also work fine.

Of course, when receiving email formatted as HTML, which is most of it, I miss the pictures and multimedia features of the message but not the special Tables, Fonts and Colors. I believe Macromedia Shockwave also does work .... Not 100% sure on this last statement.

Firewall is disabled and I have no Proxy setup. This problem just occured 15 days ago after using it without a hitch for two and a half years. I have not added any hardware or conflicting software in the past 3 months. System is Virus and Spyware free. What could be blocking Communications Port 80 and how could I test that port? I suspect that's the source of the problem but I don't know how to verify it, let alone fix it.

I believe my TCP/IP and NETBIOS protocols as well as the Client, Service setups are OK but who knows, maybe I inadvertently changed something there.

I have other computers that I could try to use to Remotely troubleshoot the one with the problem, either thru the Internet Remote Help feature provided by XP or thru a direct parallel or serial cable connection from a Laptop.

But as indicated above, no HTML pages can be displayed.

I have tried both, IE 6.02 with all current patches and Netscape 7.1 to no avail.

Please copy my direct email "(e-mail address removed)" as I don't visit Discussion Groups too often due to heavy travel schedule.

Any help greatly appreciated.

M

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

Start by clearing the IE cache and see if that resolves it. Open Internet
Explorer, go to Tools, select Internet Options, on the General tab click
Delete Cookies, Delete Files and accept the option to delete all offline
content and Clear History.

In addition to the above, if you are blocking cookies try accepting them.
In IE< go to Tools, select Internet Options, go to the Privacy tab, click
advanced and set cookies to accept and see if you can get in. Note, some
firewalls have their own cookie blocking features and might override those
settings so if you have a firewall, you might want to disable it when trying
to access these sites.

For advice specific to problems with secure sites, have a look at the first
link - for general advice, have a look at the second:

http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#secure_sites

http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#dns

Ask a Question