Windows XP xp pro install asks for sp1

Reaction score
Hello, I have an older Dell laptop, 8/9 years. I have clean installed xp before with no problem. This time, with 29 min left(I think) it asks for sp1 disk, never did this before. The disk I'm using and have used is the operating system disk from Dell. I tried the driver disk but same thing. Do I find and burn a sp1 disk and where would I find that? Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I think Microsoft does not now support XP anymore so you will not be able to download SP1 and therefore the only thing you can do is ether install a Linux distro about £6 from the Linux store look for them on the internet as one of the Linux distro's will be ideal for the older laptop. Or ask around any PC technican you know and see if they have a CD you could borrow. I think the best option is one of the Linux distro's.

Reaction score
Hello, I have an older Dell laptop, 8/9 years. I have clean installed xp before with no problem. This time, with 29 min left(I think) it asks for sp1 disk, never did this before. The disk I'm using and have used is the operating system disk from Dell. I tried the driver disk but same thing. Do I find and burn a sp1 disk and where would I find that? Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Here is the link for the Linux shop TheLinuxShop [(e-mail address removed)] but if you have a working PC investigate as there are many distro's out there such as Zorin, Linux mint otherwise your only other option is to purchase a Microsoft Windows OS like Windows 8.1 from someone like Maplins.

Ask a Question