Illegal->Legal

I'm using Windows XP pro. However, the one who helped me install it using an
illegal copy.
I don't want to format(It's important) and restall Windows. Can i just buy a
upgrade version of Windows XP pro to slove the problem?
Thanks for answering.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In
Elliot said:
I'm using Windows XP pro. However, the one who helped me install it
using an illegal copy.
I don't want to format(It's important) and restall Windows. Can i
just buy a upgrade version of Windows XP pro to slove the problem?
Thanks for answering.

You can't "upgrade" an illegal copy to a legal copy. You can buy a full
retail copy of WinXP Pro and change the product key, though -

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5034890.html
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328874

Carey Frisch [MVP]

If you purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP
Professional, you could use the following utility
program to simply change the Product Key:

The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for
users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key
to a genuine Product Key - all without a reinstall!
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Enjoy all the benefits of genuine Microsoft software:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx

<Elliot> wrote in message |
| I'm using Windows XP pro. However, the one who helped me install it using an
| illegal copy.
| I don't want to format(It's important) and restall Windows. Can i just buy a
| upgrade version of Windows XP pro to slove the problem?
| Thanks for answering.

Glen, thanks.

You can only buy an upgrade version if you have a qualifying disc from a
previous version of Windows. If you have a qualifying disc and get an
upgrade version or if you buy a full retail version you can just change
the
product key which means you don't need to reinstall.

Magical Jellybean

Change XP product key for legit key
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409
--
Please repost if you find the fault

Glen P

Thank you very much. We had a bunch of Dell PC's with legit product keys,
however they weren't the keys that were used during the original install.
This saved us a lot of time.